By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set

LudicrousSpeed said:

1. Of course people backpedaled after Sony revealed their real plan. That doesn't change the fact that multiple "official channels" communicated information that was flat out wrong. Not going to say they lied or deliberately mislead, could have been miscommunication, changing strategy, etc. But the information was wrong.

2. Oh, you aren't claiming any sort of victory? You didn't bump an old thread to try and gloat that some people were maybe wrong in your opinion? "terrible takes", etc etc. What are we doing here, then?

1. I'm sure some people backpedaled, but why don't you bump the cross gen threads, and see which fanbase is actually consistent in calling out the cross gen dilemma. And no, the official channels for Sony (Playstation Blog/YouTube channel) communicated the benefits of next generation, PS5 exclusives being one of many factors. At worst, its a PR blunder that backfired on Sony, but nothing that indicates their official channels of communication gave out wrong information. The SSD & Dualsense controller were also major features that Sony used to sell consumers on the next generation. 

2. Threads with bold/terrible takes get bumped all the time here on VGChartz. This just happened to be a thread filled with terrible takes. I've always maintained multiplatform differences will be marginal between both consoles even in prior threads where the PS5 dominated the comparison.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 06 December 2021

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

I'm still curious to find out what GPU tech AMD took from PS and what GPU's it's (to be) used in. If that's ever explained or becomes obvious that is.

Cerny was pretty smirky about that. If PS tech is so much worse than what AMD itself can offer, then why would AMD use PS tech in their GPU's?

What tech has AMD used from Sony?

LudicrousSpeed said:

1. Of course people backpedaled after Sony revealed their real plan. That doesn't change the fact that multiple "official channels" communicated information that was flat out wrong. Not going to say they lied or deliberately mislead, could have been miscommunication, changing strategy, etc. But the information was wrong.

My main position when entering this console generation was to try and get rid of peoples bad habits of asserting things as facts when they haven't been confirmed by a source of Truth. I.E. Sony/Microsoft/AMD.

Sadly, it didn't work in this thread, let alone forum, but I did try.

EricHiggin said:

I'm still curious to find out what GPU tech AMD took from PS and what GPU's it's (to be) used in. If that's ever explained or becomes obvious that is.

Cerny was pretty smirky about that. If PS tech is so much worse than what AMD itself can offer, then why would AMD use PS tech in their GPU's?

LudicrousSpeed said:

Is it getting harder and harder to find a clear advantage? What do you define as a clear advantage? The consoles have been out for a year. The only thing that might make finding a clear advantage difficult is that every developer prioritizes different things. In most cases developers are pushing the XSX versions with more pixels with no regard for small frame hiccups because of VRR. Is this a clear advantage? In the Skyrim thread you're going on and on about a 2 second or less load difference being the deciding factor.

The Xbox Series X has the better overall hardware to drive visual fidelity, that really can't be disputed... And if visuals aren't being driven harder, then higher or more consistent framerates are given instead.

But there is more to games than just the pretty picture on the screen, audio, controls, online and more all add to the experience of a video game.

But a 2 second load time is just a laughable "win" to the point where anyone who uses that as a #win are just being disingenuous. No one really cares, otherwise all 7th gen gamers would have been PC gamers when SSD's first came out.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

That is the question.

LudicrousSpeed said:

2. Oh, you aren't claiming any sort of victory? You didn't bump an old thread to try and gloat that some people were maybe wrong in your opinion? "terrible takes", etc etc. What are we doing here, then?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Now it's getting harder and harder to prove a clear hardware advantage over PS5. Wouldn't you say this is a victory against MS PR?

Is it getting harder and harder to find a clear advantage? What do you define as a clear advantage? The consoles have been out for a year. The only thing that might make finding a clear advantage difficult is that every developer prioritizes different things. In most cases developers are pushing the XSX versions with more pixels with no regard for small frame hiccups because of VRR. Is this a clear advantage? In the Skyrim thread you're going on and on about a 2 second or less load difference being the deciding factor.

It would have been better to say it was a failure to promote rather than a victory. The full RDNA 2 was the subject of the thread here. If they don't care about that promotion now when they choose a console.

By the way, I have to ask, can you recognize the difference in resolution between the two consoles?

On the other hand, if you play both consoles, you'll probably notice the difference in load times. I'm not saying it's only Skyrim, because there are more differences in loading times. 

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 06 December 2021

Not many people would say that. PS5 does have its hardware advantages.So smaller file size.Here is a copy from Era.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
PS5: 41.79 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 72.47 GB
Xbox SX uses 73% more space

Control Ultimate Edition
PS5: 25.75 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 50.5 GB
Xbox SX uses 94% more space

Resident Evil Village
PS5: 27.40 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 30.2 GB
Xbox SX uses 10% more space

Marvel's Avengers
PS5: 46.73 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 116.59 GB
Xbox SX uses 149% more space

Subnautica
PS5: 3.76 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 8.31 GB
Xbox SX uses 121% more space

Subnautica Below Zero
PS5: 6.18 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 10.72 GB
Xbox SX uses 74% more space

Crash Bandicoot 4
PS5: 20.05 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 28 GB
Xbox SX uses 40% more space

Biomutant
PS5: 11.25 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 13.56 GB
Xbox SX uses 21% more space

Star Wars Squadrons
PS5: 20 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 24.91 GB
Xbox SX uses 25% more space

Watch Dogs Legion
PS5: 35.73 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 61.68 GB

Outriders
PS5: 46.17 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 51.26 GB
Xbox SX uses 11% more space

Immortals Fenyx Rising
PS5: 22.31 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 32.95 GB
Xbox SX uses 48% more space

MLB The Show Standard Edition
PS5: 59.19 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 87.1 GB
Xbox SX uses 47% more space no

Dirt 5
PS5: 50.92 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 62.39 GB
Xbox SX uses 23% more space

Tony Hawk's
PS5: 21.04 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 31.9 GB
Xbox SX uses 52% more space

Around the Network

I don't have a Series S so I don't know, but is it true that the game file size is larger than PS5 ?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I don't have a Series S so I don't know, but is it true that the game file size is larger than PS5 ?

They should be larger. Often the Series X uses the same file system and structure irrespective of Xbox platform... So bloated Xbox One installs translates over to the Series X... Which I am okay with, I have 20+ terabytes of mechanical storage, so it makes copying and running games easier.
Kraken/Oodle definitely has an advantage as well.

End of the day... Sony will make better use of it's storage, Microsoft will simply give you more storage, both get the job done.

EricHiggin said:
Pemalite said:

That is the question.

Until there is evidence, it's just a baseless claim that can be discarded.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Not many people would say that. PS5 does have its hardware advantages.So smaller file size.Here is a copy from Era.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla
PS5: 41.79 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 72.47 GB

Control Ultimate Edition
PS5: 25.75 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 50.5 GB
Xbox SX uses 94% more space

Resident Evil Village
PS5: 27.40 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 30.2 GB
Xbox SX uses 10% more space

Marvel's Avengers
PS5: 46.73 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 116.59 GB
Xbox SX uses 149% more space

Subnautica
PS5: 3.76 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 8.31 GB
Xbox SX uses 121% more space

Subnautica Below Zero
PS5: 6.18 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 10.72 GB
Xbox SX uses 74% more space

Crash Bandicoot 4
PS5: 20.05 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 28 GB
Xbox SX uses 40% more space

Biomutant
PS5: 11.25 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 13.56 GB
Xbox SX uses 21% more space

Star Wars Squadrons
PS5: 20 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 24.91 GB
Xbox SX uses 25% more space

Watch Dogs Legion
PS5: 35.73 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 61.68 GB

Outriders
PS5: 46.17 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 51.26 GB
Xbox SX uses 11% more space

Immortals Fenyx Rising
PS5: 22.31 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 32.95 GB
Xbox SX uses 48% more space

MLB The Show Standard Edition
PS5: 59.19 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 87.1 GB
Xbox SX uses 47% more space no

Dirt 5
PS5: 50.92 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 62.39 GB
Xbox SX uses 23% more space

Tony Hawk's
PS5: 21.04 GB
Xbox Series S/X: 31.9 GB
Xbox SX uses 52% more space

I remember alot from the xbox side makeing fun of the PS5 for not haveing a full TB, like the series X.
The irony is, install 10 games on both systems, and usually the PS5 has more space left over.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

That is the question.

Until there is evidence, it's just a baseless claim that can be discarded.

Like how XBSX would clearly outperform PS5, due to the PS5's lack of, full RDNA2? 

My understanding is that Sony went for a custom chip design, because in the stock chip there were things that were very PC specific functions and would not be essential in their console design. So they made some changes to that effect. If that makes the Sony chip not full RDNA2, then whatever. Does it really matter?