By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set

shikamaru317 said:
Hiku said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mesh shaders, variable rate shading, etc for Series X/S that he mentions, are part of DirectX 12?

Then the point still stands that the sentence is ambiguous instead of specific intentionally.
Don't read that as implying that "this isn't important", but rather that their PR team see it as a possible bonus if people misunderstand things in their favor.
That's part of their job, whether it's Sony, MS or Nintendo.

Dictator suggests that the Sampler feedback and Variable Rate Shading are hardware based in that post, so that wouldn't be DX12 then, DX12 would be software features, not hardware.

"....hardware VRS (variable rate shading), and the technical hw (hardware) required for the next gen version of tiled resources, which is called sampler feedback"

We're still not really sure if Sony has VRS or not, Sony hasn't mentioned having it (to my knowledge at least), but an Activision CoD Black Ops Cold War dev suggested that PS5 does have it (though as far as I know no other devs have backed him up on that claim). 

The PS5 has VRS.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Hynad said:

The PS5 has VRS.

That's what Shikamaru said in his last sentence.

The link I gave has two persons confirming it. The one from Activision, and the a former principal software engineer who worked on the PS5.

Well from the Amd presentation, we already know ps5 has 2 of the 4 tech involved, or similar anyway. It's got the mesh shading and the ray tracing units, as mentioned by mark cerny ( in upcoming future amd gpus). Vrs is not really comfirmed, although game devs credit both consoles to vrs. Sampler feedback, not sure. Direct Ml, no one knows if sony have their own implementation or an improvement over their current checkerboard rendering. Both have their pros and cons as seen in digital foundry. We know ps5 has cache scrubbers to free up resources,also AMD smartshift,  we don;t know if series x implements it. Can someone explain how vrs is different than partially resident textures technology back from 2011.

Last edited by KratosLives - on 31 October 2020

It’s one thing having the tools and another using them properly and to their maximum.
Tbh - games like tlou2 will still look better than 95% of any games in the coming generation.

Jumpinbeans said:
It’s one thing having the tools and another using them properly and to their maximum.
Tbh - games like tlou2 will still look better than 95% of any games in the coming generation.

You can't put tbh and a comment like that directly after it. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Oh, so now my posts are trolling? That's incredible. Can you please paste the rule in here that says that if the great Hiku quotes you from a different conversion with someone else and gives his own assumptions and speculation on a subject, you have to respond? Because it seems to me that you are just bothered that I am not taking the time to respond to you and address your assumptions on speculation. But the thing is, I don't have to. I've made two or three posts in the thread before you started down this course, and none of them were trolling or without substance. You act as if I have twenty posts in here and am just making goopy style nonsense console warz posts or something. It's ok, it's not the first time you've been wrong in that regard. If you truly feel my posts in this thread violate some rule, then well, as you said, you are a mod. Do something about it. Again, won't be the first time you've been wrong in that regard. Otherwise, continue to quote me all you want, you aren't getting a reply on the matter from me. And no, that doesn't mean I am TROLLING lol. Jesus Christ.

Wasn't it just recently that mods were saying Xbox discussion is supposed to be in a better place? And yet here you are, as a mod, basically throwing a fit because you want to shit in my cereal with your own speculation to downplay something I am not even trying to claim, and I won't let you. It would be great to see this sort of draconian pettiness applied elsewhere and not just in Xbox discussion for a change.

The rules apply to everyone. You can't refute everything someone said by simply saying they have no substance, and not explain why.
Likewise, if you make a claim, it should be backed up with reasoning, evidence, etc. You provided little to none of that. But if someone then challenges this position backing it up with reasoning and evidence, there's a difference between not responding, and purposefully ignoring posts to repeat the same claim, as if no one refuted them.

"they were waiting on AMD"

"MS was simply waiting for full RDNA2 support."

I wanted you to explain how you think Microsoft were waiting for support for their own technology (DirectX), among other things.

I may have been the only one that directly quoted you, but other people made similar posts to mine. Pretty hard to miss. But in case you did, I directly quoted you.

I backed the "claims" up with reasoning and evidence. Also, you're not quoting the entire posts, you're cherry picking a piece of it to make it look as if I am making a factual statement. Like the first quote for example, I said this COULD explain the delay in Xbox dev kits that developers were supposedly complaining about. See, you can mark this down as another reason why you can quote me a thousand times if you want, I am not going to bother with you on any serious manner. Outside of your general pettiness, you use tactics like that in these debates you want to engage in. No thanks, friend.

Also, no surprise to see you say you refuted the posts, which you didn't. But that's really the crux of your beef here, you think you have proven these posts wrong and it really bothers you that the person you want to prove wrong is not replying to you. Get over it. Again, if you think I have done something that warrants moderation, do it. Otherwise, there's nothing else to really say on my end.

Jumpinbeans said:

This would be a acceptable narrative pivot. In the end devs who put in the talent and time and make amazing things.

Except there’s still a sizeable portion of apologists online who insist PS5 might somehow kinda maybe sorta have the specs advantage over Series X. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Jumpinbeans said:

This would be a acceptable narrative pivot. In the end devs who put in the talent and time and make amazing things.

Except there’s still a sizeable portion of apologists online who insist PS5 might somehow kinda maybe sorta have the specs advantage over Series X. 

That sounds like what you think they are saying. Seems very clearly to me that post here are just saying that the power gap xbox fans seem to think they have is much smaller than what they think. Most ps fans know that there is a hardware advantage. And yes, like Jumpinbeans said, sony will push a lot harder so at least in the exclusive front, sony will have the edge almost guaranty. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Angelv577 said:
Meh just PR stuff. I am pretty confident sony once again are gonna make great looking games on ps5 and most likely the best looking games. Third parties are the big question which they are known for close parity.

That's what Nathan Drake would say ... oh wait

sales2099 said:
Jumpinbeans said:

The goal posts never stop shifting. There are people still claiming PS5 is actually more advanced than RDNA2 and that’s why MS can say X|S are the only full RDNA2 consoles, that PS5 is actually beyond it. Best to ignore such delusions, they exist in every fan base.