By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set

AsGryffynn said:

People acting like the Medium has no footage whatsoever and instead comparing Scorn to DSR. 

The Medium does certainly look good, but I think this is the closest we've ever been to real meat.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
AsGryffynn said:

People acting like the Medium has no footage whatsoever and instead comparing Scorn to DSR. 

The Medium does certainly look good, but I think this is the closest we've ever been to real meat.

Scorn is not even close to DS. It's a corridor shooter that seems to have an almost muddy or grainy filter applied with plenty of low res textures. It's got a fascinating art style though and some great lighting in sections- but it's very inconsistent.

DS has better visuals in the close environments but it also has big open environments. It's a much sharper image with a wider colour palette. 

This is without even touching on things like how the game looks in motion- effects and animations.

You can actually tell there is a significant difference in the cost of these two projects.

Last edited by Dallinor - on 31 October 2020

Dallinor said:
chakkra said:

Scorn is not even close to DS. It's a corridor shooter that seems to have an almost muddy or grainy filter applied with plenty of low res textures. It's got a fascinating art style though and some great lighting in sections- but it's very inconsistent.

DS has better visuals in the close environments but it also has big open environments. It's a much sharper image with a wider colour palette. 

This is without even touching on things like how the game looks in motion- effects and animations.

You can actually tell there is a significant difference in the cost of these two projects.

I don't even know what to say, I mean, If you really look at those games and still truly believe that DS looks more realistic, then I guess there is nothing I could tell you.

Btw, the CEO of Quantic Dream has given his opinion on this matter:

"As developers, what do you think about the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X? Which unique aspects of each platform excite you the most?

It is always challenging to compare hardware, as they always have advantages and disadvantages. It is not just a matter of CPU or frequency; it is more about the consistency of the components and the possibilities of advanced features.

The CPU of the two consoles uses the same processor (slightly faster on Xbox Series X), the GPU of the Xbox also seems more powerful, as it is 16% faster than the PS5 GPU, with a bandwidth that is 25% faster. The transfer speed from the SSD is twice as fast on PS5.

The shader cores of the Xbox are also more suitable to machine learning, which could be an advantage if Microsoft succeeds in implementing an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS (an advanced neural network solution for AI).

Overall, I think that the pure analysis of the hardware shows an advantage for Microsoft, but experience tells us that hardware is only part of the equation: Sony showed in the past that their consoles could deliver the best-looking games because their architecture and software were usually very consistent and efficient."

https://wccftech.com/david-cage-on-quantic-dream-future-next-gen-gaming-and-not-ruling-out-sequels/

chakkra said:

I don't even know what to say, I mean, If you really look at those games and still truly believe that DS looks more realistic, then I guess there is nothing I could tell you.

It's not even close. DS is the much more complete and better looking game. Scorn actually looks like what it is- an Unreal engine game.

Also I'm not sure why you even brought it up originally to refute DS being the best looking launch title from Digital Foundry, when Scorn isn't even a launch title?

Around the Network
Angelv577 said:
Like jim ryan said " Let the games do the talking" and so far, it aint looking good for xbox.

So far more and more multiplats are looking like Xbox has better versions. Meanwhile you have PS5 games failing to hit certain resolution and FPS benchmarks. This is a specs topic, not a games one. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Except I agree with that assertion. Series X having some combination of resolution edge or FPS edge or hardware RT as opposed to old fashioned RT per multiplat release isn’t mind blowing differences. But it is a difference. 

I just would like to say Xbox has better hardware without being questioned on it. Which Xbox gamers still are. But it’s been literally 6 months of pulling teeth to make this claim. You have people who say power doesn’t matter in a console and yet they are apologists for their peers who literally can’t have the power narrative not be theirs. If roles were reversed the topic would have been settled at the spec reveals for each months ago. Don’t you see the double standard? 

Had The gap been like ps4 vs  x1 I would say that the gap would be notisable and might matter, but this 15% really wont matter. That there are fans that would twist things if the roles where reverse? Sure. Im pretty sure that would happen. Its the internet. But lets be honest here and really addres the discusions people have been having for years here not just the last 6 months. But xbox fans have atributed the entirety of the x1 collapse on the reveal and then claiming its power gap. Then for the last 6 mothns they went to claim that now they have the power gap they are gona see results like the ps4 had while the gap this time is ingsignificant and the most notable titles that pushed the consoles where sony first party. Its like every year GOTY, and other graphically intensive title is like a sony game first and foremost. Not even rockstar could top them. So lets be honest here, that 15% gap will mean nothing for this gen as long as sony have the top devs in the industry. 

You put time and talent into this and you’ll make great looking games sure. For us Gears 5 remains a benchmark in graphics. 

But I digress, it’s more 25% (because the PS5 can’t overclock for long periods of time allegedly). I got a feeling we will see many games where only one console can hit 4k, or 60fps, or do authentic ray tracing, which is good enough for me.

We had the power narrative since Xbox One X. And nobody is claiming the Series X gap will be the same as Xbox One/PS4, merely that we will continue to hold the power narrative. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Angelv577 said:
Like jim ryan said " Let the games do the talking" and so far, it aint looking good for xbox.

So far more and more multiplats are looking like Xbox has better versions. Meanwhile you have PS5 games failing to hit certain resolution and FPS benchmarks. This is a specs topic, not a games one. 

Did the consoles launch already and we missed it? As far As Im aware, no game comparison is out yet and the one dev that has said something dint even comment on the performance of them, just that the ps5 will be 4k upscaled, dint even mention the series x. How did you jump to this conclusion?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Did the consoles launch already and we missed it? As far As Im aware, no game comparison is out yet and the one dev that has said something dint even comment on the performance of them, just that the ps5 will be 4k upscaled, dint even mention the series x. How did you jump to this conclusion?

Correct me if wrong but it’s from various games we do know about. Games like Gears 5 hitting 120 FPS in multiplayer but you have God Of War and Ghosts of Tsushima hitting “up to” 60fps. Last gen games can’t even hit 4K/60 FPS on PS but seemingly have no trouble comparatively on Series X. Also Twitter is saying Demon Souls is only 1440p 60fps with no ray tracing. Is this not a game with an abundance of corridors and therefore not open world? Things like that. The hardware is struggling, at the very least in upgrading current gen games. 

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Had The gap been like ps4 vs  x1 I would say that the gap would be notisable and might matter, but this 15% really wont matter. That there are fans that would twist things if the roles where reverse? Sure. Im pretty sure that would happen. Its the internet. But lets be honest here and really addres the discusions people have been having for years here not just the last 6 months. But xbox fans have atributed the entirety of the x1 collapse on the reveal and then claiming its power gap. Then for the last 6 mothns they went to claim that now they have the power gap they are gona see results like the ps4 had while the gap this time is ingsignificant and the most notable titles that pushed the consoles where sony first party. Its like every year GOTY, and other graphically intensive title is like a sony game first and foremost. Not even rockstar could top them. So lets be honest here, that 15% gap will mean nothing for this gen as long as sony have the top devs in the industry. 

You put time and talent into this and you’ll make great looking games sure. For us Gears 5 remains a benchmark in graphics. 

But I digress, it’s more 25% (because the PS5 can’t overclock for long periods of time allegedly). I got a feeling we will see many games where only one console can hit 4k, or 60fps, or do authentic ray tracing, which is good enough for me.

We had the power narrative since Xbox One X. And nobody is claiming the Series X gap will be the same as Xbox One/PS4, merely that we will continue to hold the power narrative. 

I will have to say now that i might be jumping ships now. Just saw the latest loose ends from MooresLawisDead and I got to admit that Im jumping on the hype train and now belive that the ps5 will be the better console. He addreses the series x not having the infinity cache. Ps5 might have some at lower capacity, but it will be also shared with the cpu along with the cache scrubers and the enhanced geometry engine. He also states that the series x gpu is a server grade so it will benefit more in compute there not as much in gaming. 

@BOLD. nobody but xbox fans claim this. Sony has adresed this already. It will drop no more than a couple of percent. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.