By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you enjoy driving?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Only with stick. Automatic is sooooo boring...

After I moved across the pond I had to unlearn using the clutch, no pedal there, and kept trying to change gears! I still change to neutral to roll out to a red light, at least you can still do that with an automatic.

Stick or Automatic, it doesn't matter on long distances, cruise control, relax your legs and play with the buttons to speed up and down.

Around the Network

No, I hate it, it's so incredibly stressful. Way too much to concentrate on at once plus the constant crushing fear that my attention span will waver and I'll kill someone, or myself.

Although I know how to drive, I've chosen not to and use public transport instead.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 October 2020

So long as it's not too congested or too many idiots on the road. It can be a great opportunity to clear your head, get some thinking done, or listen to some music.

I enjoy driving on the highway in clear weather, light traffic, and with as few turns and exits as possible. A journey like this for a couple hours with good music playing is so relaxing.

I hate driving in NYC under any circumstances.

I also prefer not to drive when going out socially. If I drive I cannot drink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I love driving in video games. Not a care in the world. Go anywhere, bump anything, crash thru everything. Jump, flip, spin, boost, drift, sideswipe until my heart's content.

Not so much in real life, in cities, suburbs, or for commuting. I'd prefer Uber or Lyft. Even planes and trains are more tolerable than traffic.

I love track days, but those are expensive, and I'm semi-retired.

Around the Network

Sometimes 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Yes, it's a breeze and fun driving my automatic car, paddle shift for the win!

SvennoJ said:
S.Peelman said:
I’m pretty indifferent about it.

I live in a country that’s extremely busy, even at this time, so it’s not really my hobby because it’s too much work. Though I also don’t mind, driving at night is fine because then it’s less busy obviously and it’s also the best place to sing along with songs on the radio at an inappropriate volume.

My driving history is spotty though. I got my license when I was 18 already due to peer pressure (or really, I just wanted people to shut up about it), but then proceeded to not drive once after a month or two for the next 10 years because I lived right next to a metro station. One day about three years ago I was on my way to a meeting with my boss when he asked me to drive because he had a short night. I asked if he was sure because I hadn’t driven a car in 10 years upon which he replied that it doesn’t matter; it’s an automatic and a Tesla equipped with a billion safety features. After that my mother gave me her car when she got a new one herself and I quickly began to use it regularly.

I grew up in the Netherlands and yep, peer pressure, got my driver's license at 18 as well. I didn't buy my first car until I was 32... No need for one in Amsterdam, just a pita trying to find a parking spot. I got around a lot faster on a bike or public transport.

However before I moved to Amsterdam I lived with my parents in Apeldoorn and frequently drove their car. Most of my early experience came from the A1 over the hoge veluwe. Weekly visits to family further West made me the designated driver for the way back. Night time over the A1 before 'traject controle' was invented. 130 to 150kph while my parents were dozing off.

Driving in the Randstad during the day is a nightmare though, slow traffic all the time. I usually stayed late at the office since it was always gridlock at 5pm. No point sitting in a bus that can't go anywhere.

Currently it isn't that fast to drive around the Netherlands between 6am-7pm, speed is limited to 100kph :-|

I live in Twente, over here the traffic jams are way less than to the East. Still if I ever want to go South, I have the option to go through Germany but I prefer the Dutch roads quality and in the end due to all the German roadworks the average speed was nearly the same (the 100kph limit has messed this up).

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Fuck yea I do.

Just don't like paying for Insurance or Gas

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Sometimes. Most of the time I wish all driving be replaced by self driving cars as soon as possible

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

SvennoJ said:
S.Peelman said:
I’m pretty indifferent about it.

I live in a country that’s extremely busy, even at this time, so it’s not really my hobby because it’s too much work. Though I also don’t mind, driving at night is fine because then it’s less busy obviously and it’s also the best place to sing along with songs on the radio at an inappropriate volume.

My driving history is spotty though. I got my license when I was 18 already due to peer pressure (or really, I just wanted people to shut up about it), but then proceeded to not drive once after a month or two for the next 10 years because I lived right next to a metro station. One day about three years ago I was on my way to a meeting with my boss when he asked me to drive because he had a short night. I asked if he was sure because I hadn’t driven a car in 10 years upon which he replied that it doesn’t matter; it’s an automatic and a Tesla equipped with a billion safety features. After that my mother gave me her car when she got a new one herself and I quickly began to use it regularly.

I grew up in the Netherlands and yep, peer pressure, got my driver's license at 18 as well. I didn't buy my first car until I was 32... No need for one in Amsterdam, just a pita trying to find a parking spot. I got around a lot faster on a bike or public transport.

However before I moved to Amsterdam I lived with my parents in Apeldoorn and frequently drove their car. Most of my early experience came from the A1 over the hoge veluwe. Weekly visits to family further West made me the designated driver for the way back. Night time over the A1 before 'traject controle' was invented. 130 to 150kph while my parents were dozing off.

Driving in the Randstad during the day is a nightmare though, slow traffic all the time. I usually stayed late at the office since it was always gridlock at 5pm. No point sitting in a bus that can't go anywhere.

Rest assured, driving during the day in the Randstad is still a nightmare.

I live near and work in Rotterdam, and while it’s more car-friendly than Amsterdam, due to history, it’s still bad. Even though on paper our cities don’t have that much inhabitants, the size of the built up area compared to the country and the amount of industrial traffic makes it so busy. But yeah, more to the east, like in the Veluwe as you mentioned, would be better. Driving fast like that is over now for some time though, due to some pollution thing the max speed countrywide during the day is now just 100kph. During the night it’s still 130kph.