By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation announces strategic partnership with rapper Travis Scott

sales2099 said:
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1319804004512141312?s=21

Don’t want to start anything, but now I’m convinced both companies competing for the black demographic.

Travis Scott fans are mostly White Suburban teenagers from from what I've seen at his concerts and om the internet. But its great that MS and Sony are moving towards more inclusive marketing strategies. 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
sales2099 said:
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1319804004512141312?s=21

Don’t want to start anything, but now I’m convinced both companies competing for the black demographic.

Travis Scott fans are mostly White Suburban teenagers from from what I've seen at his concerts and om the internet. But its great that MS and Sony are moving towards more inclusive marketing strategies. 

This is true of most "mainstream" hip-hop artists.

Plus the dude has billionaire Kylie Jenner as his baby momma. He will forever be associated with Kardashian clan at least in part. That's a lot of pop culture exposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Travis Scott is the smarter choice over Snoop.

Personally Snoop >>>> Travis Scott hands down as a musician. But Travis has a much bigger impact to the younger generation and social media (connections with Kylie Jenner is bonus), and nothing spreads marketing better than that.

Xbox - Bethesda
Sony - Cod Zombie Mode and this guy.

shikamaru317 said:
V-r0cK said:
Travis Scott is the smarter choice over Snoop.

Personally Snoop >>>> Travis Scott hands down as a musician. But Travis has a much bigger impact to the younger generation and social media (connections with Kylie Jenner is bonus), and nothing spreads marketing better than that.

Snoop is not exactly dead to the world either though. He has 18.9m twitter followers and 54m instagram followers. You are right though that the Travis Scott marketing has had more impact for Playstation so far, millions of views vs less than a million for the Snoop Dogg Xbox refrigerator. But it was also likely a cheaper deal for Xbox, Snoop was already an Xbox fan so they didn't need to pay him anything for the marketing, it only will have cost them several thousand dollars to design the Xbox refrigerator and fill it with food and a real Xbox Series X for Snoop. The Playstation Travis Scott deal scream of paid promotion to me, even if Travis Scott does say that he is a lifelong Playstation fan, these younger influencers don't work for free. 

Edit: Apparently Snoop Dogg marketing hasn't properly started yet. He tweeted out the fridge early and then deleted it. So maybe once the marketing campaign begins in full, it will get millions of views as well, just like the Travis Scott deal. We'll have to wait and see.

I dont doubt that Sony paid Travis Scott.  Paying for celebrity promotion is very common.  MS has had many celebrities/sports athletes promoting their system and even appeared on their E3 which im sure they paid. 

But when it comes to paying celebrities you'd have to pick the right ones at the right time.  And if we're only comparing just the two, Snoop and Travis, then Travis is the definitive winner.  Travis even had +12M players view his Fortnite concert so gamers are well aware of his presence in this market.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
shikamaru317 said:

Snoop is not exactly dead to the world either though. He has 18.9m twitter followers and 54m instagram followers. You are right though that the Travis Scott marketing has had more impact for Playstation so far, millions of views vs less than a million for the Snoop Dogg Xbox refrigerator. But it was also likely a cheaper deal for Xbox, Snoop was already an Xbox fan so they didn't need to pay him anything for the marketing, it only will have cost them several thousand dollars to design the Xbox refrigerator and fill it with food and a real Xbox Series X for Snoop. The Playstation Travis Scott deal scream of paid promotion to me, even if Travis Scott does say that he is a lifelong Playstation fan, these younger influencers don't work for free. 

Edit: Apparently Snoop Dogg marketing hasn't properly started yet. He tweeted out the fridge early and then deleted it. So maybe once the marketing campaign begins in full, it will get millions of views as well, just like the Travis Scott deal. We'll have to wait and see.

I dont doubt that Sony paid Travis Scott.  Paying for celebrity promotion is very common.  MS has had many celebrities/sports athletes promoting their system and even appeared on their E3 which im sure they paid. 

But when it comes to paying celebrities you'd have to pick the right ones at the right time.  And if we're only comparing just the two, Snoop and Travis, then Travis is the definitive winner.  Travis even had +12M players view his Fortnite concert so gamers are well aware of his presence in this market.

So in other words, Microsoft should get another celebrity on top of Snoop into it's boat. Maybe yet another rapper like Cardi B or a Youtube/Twitch streamer for a change.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
V-r0cK said:

So in other words, Microsoft should get another celebrity on top of Snoop into it's boat. Maybe yet another rapper like Cardi B or a Youtube/Twitch streamer for a change.

Precisely.  Pick a celebrity that the younger generations follow.