By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XVI releasing in 2021 (PS5) OPM

I expect no delays because Tetsuya Nomura and Hajime Tabata are not involved.



Around the Network

My faith in SquareEnix's ability to hit a planned release date is very very low. At least my faith in their ability to make a good game is much higher than it was thanks to FFVII:R, so I'll probably will get FFXVI whenever it comes out.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 22 October 2020

Signature goes here!

2021 will be a great year for PS5



While I’m not really excited for a Final Fantasy for a while, I’m waiting for an actual announcement from Square before trusting an official magazine when they have a bad tendency to extrapolate release window in their “launch issues” for TBA titles...



Ka-pi96 said:
Kowan said:

They've only done that for 15 you know. FF7R didn't even have any patches or updates. 

That's not quite the same though. There's no expectation of DLC there, from either fans or SE themselves. Any new content for FF7R should be in FF7R part 2 rather than in DLC/a re-release of the existing game.

I think an ultimate edition or some such is pretty much guaranteed when all of the FF7R parts are finished though.

XV is a unique stain in the franchise though. Everything else around it has released in a complete state even if I haven't loved the games themselves. I think they'll more likely go the route of sequels/part 2s in future if they want to monopolize off a single entry. 



Around the Network
Otter said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That's not quite the same though. There's no expectation of DLC there, from either fans or SE themselves. Any new content for FF7R should be in FF7R part 2 rather than in DLC/a re-release of the existing game.

I think an ultimate edition or some such is pretty much guaranteed when all of the FF7R parts are finished though.

XV is a unique stain in the franchise though. Everything else around it has released in a complete state even if I haven't loved the games themselves. I think they'll more likely go the route of sequels/part 2s in future if they want to monopolize off a single entry. 

The last mainline (non-MMO) FF before it was a long time ago though. Things have changed a lot since then. SE now regularly release DLC and/or complete editions, FF15 isn't unique in that regard. Both World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest 11 ended up with improved "complete" editions. I think it's pretty fair to assume the same will happen with 16. It may not, but I expect it's more likely to happen than not happen.



DonFerrari said:
PotentHerbs said:

I still think FF16 will be early 2022. Would love to be proven wrong. 

Even that is earlier than I expected, still start of gen. Perhaps we can get two new numbered FF on a gen (not counting the next FF7 part).

I can see a couple of spinoffs but two mainline FF's in one generation is a big task for Square lol. 



PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

Even that is earlier than I expected, still start of gen. Perhaps we can get two new numbered FF on a gen (not counting the next FF7 part).

I can see a couple of spinoffs but two mainline FF's in one generation is a big task for Square lol. 

Well a man can hope.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

Even that is earlier than I expected, still start of gen. Perhaps we can get two new numbered FF on a gen (not counting the next FF7 part).

I can see a couple of spinoffs but two mainline FF's in one generation is a big task for Square lol. 

Maybe for Square Enix, but the old Square was able to do it. They pumped out 3 mainline FFs for the PS1 as well as re-releasing 4-6 on the console and were still able to release another mainline FF in only the 2nd year of the PS2 gen + an MMO FF in the 3rd year.



Ka-pi96 said:
PotentHerbs said:

I can see a couple of spinoffs but two mainline FF's in one generation is a big task for Square lol. 

Maybe for Square Enix, but the old Square was able to do it. They pumped out 3 mainline FFs for the PS1 as well as re-releasing 4-6 on the console and were still able to release another mainline FF in only the 2nd year of the PS2 gen + an MMO FF in the 3rd year.

That was some sublime management right there, kind of sad that Square Enix lost that rhythm, otherwise we would've gotten Final Fantasy XXVII in 2027, like Deus Ex Human Revolution predicted. 



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.