By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XVI releasing in 2021 (PS5) OPM

Ka-pi96 said:
Kowan said:

They've only done that for 15 you know. FF7R didn't even have any patches or updates. 

That's not quite the same though. There's no expectation of DLC there, from either fans or SE themselves. Any new content for FF7R should be in FF7R part 2 rather than in DLC/a re-release of the existing game.

I think an ultimate edition or some such is pretty much guaranteed when all of the FF7R parts are finished though.

XV is a unique stain in the franchise though. Everything else around it has released in a complete state even if I haven't loved the games themselves. I think they'll more likely go the route of sequels/part 2s in future if they want to monopolize off a single entry. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
PotentHerbs said:

I still think FF16 will be early 2022. Would love to be proven wrong. 

Even that is earlier than I expected, still start of gen. Perhaps we can get two new numbered FF on a gen (not counting the next FF7 part).

I can see a couple of spinoffs but two mainline FF's in one generation is a big task for Square lol. 

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

Even that is earlier than I expected, still start of gen. Perhaps we can get two new numbered FF on a gen (not counting the next FF7 part).

I can see a couple of spinoffs but two mainline FF's in one generation is a big task for Square lol. 

Well a man can hope.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Maybe for Square Enix, but the old Square was able to do it. They pumped out 3 mainline FFs for the PS1 as well as re-releasing 4-6 on the console and were still able to release another mainline FF in only the 2nd year of the PS2 gen + an MMO FF in the 3rd year.

That was some sublime management right there, kind of sad that Square Enix lost that rhythm, otherwise we would've gotten Final Fantasy XXVII in 2027, like Deus Ex Human Revolution predicted. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Metallox said:

That was some sublime management right there, kind of sad that Square Enix lost that rhythm, otherwise we would've gotten Final Fantasy XXVII in 2027, like Deus Ex Human Revolution predicted. 

I really do hope they switch to Hindu numbers rather than Roman at some point if they go that far. It's going to be awfully weird if we ever get to a Final Fantasy L. I actually had to look up what 50 was in Roman numbers, so I doubt I'm the only one that wouldn't immediately recognise FFL as FF50

I doubt they can get back to 3 mainline titles a gen, but 2 should definitely be possible. Especially if they use different teams for each of them, and don't have any screw-ups that require shifting all of their resources to something else *cough* FF14 *cough*

You're missing Final Fantasy XXX, which would be totally awesome, but still. I want to think they'll drop the Roman numerals once they reach the XXs, but who knows. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
So I’m reading that the 2021 part was removed because it was poorly sourced.

Not surprising

Metallox said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Maybe for Square Enix, but the old Square was able to do it. They pumped out 3 mainline FFs for the PS1 as well as re-releasing 4-6 on the console and were still able to release another mainline FF in only the 2nd year of the PS2 gen + an MMO FF in the 3rd year.

It had less to do with bad management and more with spinoff games taking the place of those mainline entries. OTOH, FFXV was unique in that it seemed to be such a bottomless resource sink that it cannibalized one of three titles for this gen. Every gen has had three FF titles with similar production values. Every one except this one, which had embarrassing manpower issues and gave us one half game, a huge game that was way beyond Square's capabilities and a third of a game that was good at the expense of needing to be virtual kebab. 

But lol at those who think XV was a blight of some sort even though it outsold XIII, who genuinely started the DLC craze after FFXIII-2. XV was supposed to be the kind of GaaS-led FF that was going to get the Bethesda treatment until the team gave up and Tabata abandoned ship to produce a game for the now cancelled Olympics. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Metallox said:

I really do hope they switch to Hindu numbers rather than Roman at some point if they go that far. It's going to be awfully weird if we ever get to a Final Fantasy L. I actually had to look up what 50 was in Roman numbers, so I doubt I'm the only one that wouldn't immediately recognise FFL as FF50

I doubt they can get back to 3 mainline titles a gen, but 2 should definitely be possible. Especially if they use different teams for each of them, and don't have any screw-ups that require shifting all of their resources to something else *cough* FF14 *cough*

Arabic numerals. 

Also, a question I've had is why they don't give the Evermore treatment to FF... 

Ka-pi96 said:
Otter said:

XV is a unique stain in the franchise though. Everything else around it has released in a complete state even if I haven't loved the games themselves. I think they'll more likely go the route of sequels/part 2s in future if they want to monopolize off a single entry. 

The last mainline (non-MMO) FF before it was a long time ago though. Things have changed a lot since then. SE now regularly release DLC and/or complete editions, FF15 isn't unique in that regard. Both World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest 11 ended up with improved "complete" editions. I think it's pretty fair to assume the same will happen with 16. It may not, but I expect it's more likely to happen than not happen.

I believe they used to release an "International" edition for every mainline FF game in Japan (at least until XII), which was basically a "Complete" edition. Not to forget Kingdom Hearts "Final Mix" editions. So yeah, nothing new for Square.

Metallox said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Unfortunately, that same management decided they wanted to make movies instead of video games, blew almost their entire wad on their movie, which also hurt games like Xenogears and, to a lesser extent FF8, nearly ran the entire company into the ground in one go because the movie was a huge box office bomb, to the surprise of almost nobody but the people who financially backed the movie, and are now making mobile F2P games.  

There's a lot more that goes into making a high-end video game these days as well, so I don't think Square Enix could keep up the pace even if Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and Amano were all still there. They aren't Ubisoft or Activision.

Besides, Dragon Quest is better than ever.

hinch said:

Final Fantasy XVI releasing in 2021! Official PlayStation Magazine UK

It's official: Final Fantasy 16 is coming in 2021 and it's only on PS5. This next-gen debut for Final Fantasy will make use of all of the tech inside Sony's new console. But who are the new heroes, what is that massive fire demon, and what's the combat style this time around? Pick up a copy of Official PlayStation Magazine issue 181 and find the answers to these questions, and more.

Courtesy of GameRadar

2021 looking to be an insane year for games!

Sounds awesome :) With Horizon Forbidden West, the new Ratchet & Clank, Demon Slayer, the new Tales of, Digimon Survive, Gran Turismo 7 and some other big Games :)

Cant wait of the new Trailer. The first Trailer was old material/not final details/graphic/animations, because Corona..