Forums - Music Discussion - David Wise or Grant Kirkhope?

I think the best is...

David Wise 11 78.57%

Grant Kirkhope 3 21.43%

Total:14

Which iconic ex-Rare composer do you think has composed the better musical gameography?

[Notable titles]

David: Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, Tropical Freeze, Snake Pass, Yooka Laylee, Yooka Laylee & the Impossible Lair

Grant: Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Yooka Laylee, A Hat in Time

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Can't beat DKC music. David Wise.

I do like Grant Kirkhope, I really do. But to me, I feel like he is the videogame counterpart of Danny Elfman. Where each score sounds somewhat similar. Not knocking him at all.
But David Wise to me has shown better range. Even in the DK Tropical Freeze alone there was just a great variety. Just my opinion.

1doesnotsimply

Not a big fan of any Rare franchises except for Conker and Perfect Dark, both of which were Grant. Grant also did some freelance game soundtracks that I like.

Very easy pick. David Wise all day.

Around the Network

David Wise easily. I dont even think Grant is on the same level for this to be a contest.

I'm going with Grant Kirkhope. FYI, he did the music for Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning also, if anyone didn't know. I do think Donkey Kong Country has some of the greast music in video games, but I personally really like Grant a lot. Just love what he composes.

Both are pretty good at their work, but David Wise has the edge imo.

Both great, but David Wise is just amazing imo.

David Wise easily.