By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What threat does Gamepass pose for Sony in the long run?

SvennoJ said:
sales2099 said:

1. Netflix has no means of revenue beyond subscriptions. Xbox has gamers who buy full games on console, Windows Store and Steam to provide short term revenue alongside Game Pass monthly revenue. 

2. Indirect cash flow from increased DLC purchases. Even Minecraft continues to bring in tons of cash from its continued mega popularity on literally several platforms.

Point being Game Pass isn’t in this alone. Budgets won’t change because gamers have options on how to consume Xbox games/services. Xbox as a division can more then sustain Game Pass in the growth phase. 

So which is it, a good deal or a different way to fleece the same amount of money from consumers?

I say both. There will always be people that will buy outright. And that’s what sets Game Pass apart from Netflix is all I’m saying. GP can lean on the ecosystem to grow without concern. If the division as a whole remains profitable then gaming budgets won’t be affected. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
SvennoJ said:

So which is it, a good deal or a different way to fleece the same amount of money from consumers?

I say both. There will always be people that will buy outright. And that’s what sets Game Pass apart from Netflix is all I’m saying. GP can lean on the ecosystem to grow without concern. If the division as a whole remains profitable then gaming budgets won’t be affected. 

Perhaps. Sadly it looks like physical game prices will be affected, already are.

SvennoJ said:

For now Netflix still has quite a monopoly outside the US.

What a very strange monopoly outside the US... most European countries also have access to Prime Video, Sky, AppleTV+, Disney+, Google Play and other Streaming services (f. e. Joyn, Maxdome and Videoload in Germany)

SvennoJ said:
sales2099 said:

1. Netflix has no means of revenue beyond subscriptions. Xbox has gamers who buy full games on console, Windows Store and Steam to provide short term revenue alongside Game Pass monthly revenue. 

2. Indirect cash flow from increased DLC purchases. Even Minecraft continues to bring in tons of cash from its continued mega popularity on literally several platforms.

Point being Game Pass isn’t in this alone. Budgets won’t change because gamers have options on how to consume Xbox games/services. Xbox as a division can more then sustain Game Pass in the growth phase. 

Get less per capita, but more as a whole. As for the Netflix comparison, it's off because Netflix has made tons of failed ventures that didn't grow the userbase. They were essentially burning money. MS already makes money from 15 million on GP. What's 15x12x4-9? 

They pretty much already make a billion on that alone. 

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

For now Netflix still has quite a monopoly outside the US.

What a very strange monopoly outside the US... most European countries also have access to Prime Video, Sky, AppleTV+, Disney+, Google Play and other Streaming services (f. e. Joyn, Maxdome and Videoload in Germany)

Ugh, I didn't know it was that far along already. I still read paperbacks, listen to CDs and watch cable. I'll go reserve a plot at the graveyard now.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm not in about big blockbusters that define Xbox or IPs they own that being in money. I'm in about games like Dishonored, Doom and Wolfenstein that aren't really big sellers and often get discounted fairly quickly. You would need to be a very optimistic person to believe that these games aren't in danger of the chopping board.

You would need to be a very pessimistic person to believe that Microsoft invests billions to let most IPs die on the chopping board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt

Conina said:
Fei-Hung said:

Sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm not in about big blockbusters that define Xbox or IPs they own that being in money. I'm in about games like Dishonored, Doom and Wolfenstein that aren't really big sellers and often get discounted fairly quickly. You would need to be a very optimistic person to believe that these games aren't in danger of the chopping board.

You would need to be a very pessimistic person to believe that Microsoft invests billions to let most IPs die on the chopping board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt

Wouldn't be the first time

They won't be axed straight a way, die a slow death turned into a service

If Microsoft makes a few more big AAA publisher acquisitions it could change the whole playing field. Also while beating Sony is first on the list. If they succeed at that Steam is probably right next on that list.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

If Gamepass business model proven to be profitable and sustainable I'm sure Sony would follow MS lead and launch a similar service with a full force. It would be like Netflix and Disney Plus situation.

Only reason game pass is successful is because Microsoft’s first party games are either average or below average and Xbox’s own fans wouldn’t even want to shell out full price for that low quality.