By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Old Games I want to see on the Switch

The Switch has been a bit of a dream console in terms of ports of old games. We even got Final Fantasy VII! FINALLY. We got the Witcher 3, Stardew Valley, and a ton of other greats. But there are a lot of games from the past that I'd love to give another spin on new hardware. Some of them are too obvious to list (Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Xenosaga, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Final Fantasy 6, and virtually any Nintendo/Rare game). Here are a few of the less obvious ones - note, the list isn't comprehensive (there's WAY more than this I want on Switch) and it's not a ranking:

1. Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)

This is my third favourite game of the last 20 years (My favourites are Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X). This game, like the aforementioned two, has a vast world with a lot to explore. This game changed my life, it really did! Few times have I had such a sense of adventure. Also, floating islands and airships are just beyond cool. There are cities through the world of different cultures, it is easy to fall in love with the thing. This game has my favourite moment of any game of the past 20 years - that is the whole Daccat's Island scenario and building up your Island base. Some elements have made their way into other RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles has some uncanny similarities: building Colony 6 and bringing people in (though the Suikoden games do something like this too); but then the whole reunification on Fallen Arm is very much like a scaled-down Daccat's island scenario taking place over a smaller timeframe. The story is wonderful and FILLED with heart-warming moments as Vyse and company bring hope to a stagnant world slowly being conquered by an Empire.

2. Rune Factory Frontier (Wii)

The closest game to this one is Stardew Valley, but I enjoyed Rune Factory Frontier more. There are a few issues I have with the game, most notably that the farming part is slower because of animations and a kind of botched Runey system. Fix those two issues I have, and this game is one I'd love to sink 200 hours into. Or make an updated version of it with multiplayer, then Stardew Valley has nothing! =)
This is one of my favourite games of the last 20 years, and I'd love to play it again.

3. Suikoden 1 and 2 (PSX)

I brought these up earlier. These games are a mix of warfare and epic storytelling that goes beyond just a party battling through a story. In this game, you get to control armies. As I mentioned earlier, it has a fortress you build up by inviting people from throughout the world. Speaking of these towns, Suikoden executes it the best - Skies of Arcadia the next best - and Xenoblade Chronicles is still good, but Colony 6 doesn't feel as important or central to the story as the towns you build in Suikoden and Skies of Arcadia. The Suikoden games feel like part of a vast history in a vast world. Few games match the epic scale of this story, it's like Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics meet something in the middle of Chrono Trigger and FF6 (the battle system has elements of both). I'd LOVE to play these again on Switch. Suikoden 2, particularly, is something more RPG fans need to experience.

4. Little King's Story (Wii)

Move over Pikmin, this is how it's done. Two of the games have town-building elements, how about Kingdom building? That's the whole point of this game, attack, conquer, prosper, build, increase your cities, make everything fantastic. This is one of the many creative Wii games that really breathed life back into the video game industry after years of stagnation. When Nintendo spoke of revolution, it was games like this. You spend a lot of time building and managing things, it's not all combat. Something unique I'd like to play again.

5. Terranigma (SNES)

This game made up part of the last hurrah of the SNES (Barring Harvest Moon which came out in like 1998?) alongside Donkey Kong Country 3, Kirby Superstar, and others. This was actually a big time for SNES because, while many people used fire adaptors to get foreign games over in the past, emulators were becoming a thing, and translation guides were more prevalent. I feel Terranigma kind of got lost in this mix. But it is, IMO, one of the very best games on the SNES, and one of the best action RPGs ever released. Like earlier games on this list, this game has a lot to do with building. You go on quests, get items required, defeat bosses, and other people will start expanding the world. The progress of the game is pretty much: restore the continents > then help life evolve to humanity > Sort out the problems of people and advance human culture and technology through the games > welcome to the advanced world, now complete the major story arcs. It's not a grind and progress process like it sounds - as there is drama and conspiracy stories, and weaving plot lines... AND, the stakes rise proportionally with the growth of technology and the growth of human populations in the world. Like RPGs of the era, this game opens up as it progresses, but this one REALLY opens up in a big way; unlike FF6 and such, older locations remain relevant as the game progresses.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Great list, OP! Terranigma would be especially great for North American Switch owners.

I'd love to see some old-school shooters like Quake and Unreal. And the more shmups, the better :)

Kind of not the point of this thread but I’d love a reimagined Ocarina of Time. Yeah I know its not very original to ask for that and it’s also a bit blasphemous, at least I should think so, but a remake inspired by what they did with Final Fantasy VII (though of course I’d still want it to remain a single, complete game) would surely turn some heads.

CaptainExplosion said:

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (Arcade)

Anytime I see one of these threads, Virtual On is the first thing that comes to my head. I've pretty much given up any hope of a new game in the series that's actually good, but I'd happily settle for a remaster of VO: Oratorio Tangram from the Dreamcast, with features from the Japanese version like online, the ability to recolor virtuaroids, alternate models, and even imports of some mechs from newer games like Apharmd the Hatter if they really want to go all out with it.

burninmylight said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (Arcade)

Anytime I see one of these threads, Virtual On is the first thing that comes to my head. I've pretty much given up any hope of a new game in the series that's actually good, but I'd happily settle for a remaster of VO: Oratorio Tangram from the Dreamcast, with features from the Japanese version like online, the ability to recolor virtuaroids, alternate models, and even imports of some mechs from newer games like Apharmd the Hatter if they really want to go all out with it.

I know it's not nearly the same, but there's an emulated version of the arcade Virtual On in Yakuza Kiwami 2. That was actually my first exposure to the game :P 

Around the Network

100% agree with Skies of Arcadia. I just mentioned this game on the thread

Best One-Off Titles/ Games Without a Sequel

and I also mentioned the DELPHINUS THEME on the thread

Here's my 5 favorite songs in videogaming. Post yours too.

Can't Sega and Nintendo talk about a Switch port of this game? I guess it won't be difficult since it was also released on Gamecube. It can sell at least a million with Switch huge install base as it will attract nostalgic fans like us as well as those who wanted to play the game but didn't have the Dreamcast nor Gamecube whose combined install base was only about 31 million.

Last edited by wohufana - on 14 October 2020

Skies of Arcadia didn’t have particularly high sales numbers but I remember the rom being one of the most downloaded of all time back around the time it came out, indicating it probably had a high piracy rate on the Dreamcast.

I think with just a few tweeks, Skies of Arcadia would be a really great fit on the Switch. The general map and world design is still one of the best around, one of the most fun to explore. I played the game recently, and even with a crusty encounter system (which is easily fixable), everything else is fairly top notch. Some will probably not like the graphics, I still think that, even in their low detail compared to today’s games, the art keeps it beautiful.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I would love almost every single Nintendo developed game become playable on Switch in some form or other. There are a lot of third party games too.

I'll try to keep it to around 10 here so I'm not here forever :P

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - My second favourite game of all time, how did they not include this in 3D-All Stars?
Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask - An HD upgrade of the 3DS versions would be amazing.
Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD - I mean.... just port them... they'd sell just as well if not better on Switch
Xenoblade Chronicles X - one of the last Wii U games that needs a second chance on Switch
F-Zero GX - would look fantastic with just a resolution bump
Sonic Colors and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed - 2 of my favourite games ever
A Link Between Worlds - Honestly, lets just say every Zelda game. ALBW is my favourite 2D Zelda hands down

1doesnotsimply

Where is the Chronno Trigger port for the Switch, SE?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I really wish Konami would release a Parodious collection on Switch

And yes, they already had a western (european) release, so no need to make additional translations.