By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Got invited to the give the keynote speech at an autism conference

Phoenix20 said:

Graduating college and becoming unemployable is a sad future that a lot of Autistic people may face if they waste their time studying. There are far too many graduates and not enough jobs.

An Autistic person is socially challenged and is unlikely to form a network that is needed to become employable with a college education. Plenty of the popular low achieving extroverted students with networks get jobs instead of the high achieving Autistic kids at college. Autistic kids at college have to achieve higher results to get a job than people that have good social networks. An Autistic kid barely passing or getting average marks is unlikely to get a job and is wasting his/her time at college. An Autistic kid who is a socially awkward introvert has to achieve high marks to counteract the lack of social network.

Social network is everything when it comes to employment opportunities and high marks are needed by Autistic people to make up for the lack of social/communication skills. Job interviews weed out the social challenged applicants that performed well in academics but struggle to hold a conversation. Most jobs require decent social/communication skills that do not come naturally to Autistic people

The OP has been able to overcome his social challenges and get a job despite the odds being stacked against him. It is hard convincing employers that you are worth employing when you have a disability. An employer will often employ an able person ahead of a disabled person. Employers attitudes will not change unless their are Anti-Discrimination laws that mandate employers must employ a quota of disabled people to comply with the law. 

This is true for most people. Universities have become a business not an education institute. They want bodies enrolled so they get funding.

In reality you have to do a degree where there are jobs in demand. There is a lot of junk degrees that won't land you a job no matter if your normal or with Aspergers.

There are anti-discrimination laws in place but lets face it mandated quotas is stupid for every job type. Depending on your level of Autism, or other physical challenges in life, some jobs are too dangerous to employee such a person and would be irresponsible to do so. Look at Cerebral palsy, would you hire someone with that condition to be a fire fighter or a police person?

Now I don't know what level of Aspergers you have, but I suspect it is close to what Curl-6 has as you have the capacity to think the world is against similar to what negative people do all the time.  Now Curl-6 I think could easily find a job in any field that he held a degree in (unless it was a saturated market of people and lack of jobs in general).  You should use Curl-6 as an inspiration that it is possible to change for the better and grow beyond the stigma. Also this one should be easy. Just smile. Sometimes that all it takes in a job interview. If you look like you are expecting not to get the job people can see it. Sometime if you think you won't get the job you don't even try to get the job and come across like you not skilled for it and or disinterested. Recruiters are trained to see people that are wasting their time.

Around the Network

Nice one mate ?

curl-6 said:
farlaff said:

Man, I cannot believe I missed this thread by the time it was happening irt. Huge, huge Congrats!!! I'm so proud of you, Curl!!!!

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. :)

It is my absolute pleasure! You have always been one of my favourite thread creators and discussion drivers over here at VGC, so congrats again. :)

I have learned so much from this thread. Thank you for sharing and great job on your keynote!

SnesTea said:

I have learned so much from this thread. Thank you for sharing and great job on your keynote!

Thank you; part of my job is raising awareness so I'm glad I was able to do that here. I feel like the better we all understand each other, the more it makes the world a better place.

farlaff said:
curl-6 said:

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. :)

It is my absolute pleasure! You have always been one of my favourite thread creators and discussion drivers over here at VGC, so congrats again. :)

Thanks again, I do try to generate the best discussions I can to help keep things not just active but fun. VGChartz as a community has done so much for me over the years so I want to give back.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Well, it's been posted to Youtube, if anyone still wanted to check it out. 

curl-6 said:

I CAN Network

418 subscribers

Max Williams - Keynote Presentation - I CAN AWETISM 2020 Virtual Expo.

Watch later

Watch on

<div class="player-unavailable"><h1 class="message">An error occurred.</h1><div class="submessage"><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqviQTOrgu8" target="_blank">Try watching this video on www.youtube.com</a>, or enable JavaScript if it is disabled in your browser.</div></div>

I took a few months to process this topic and get to know you a bit before wading in and reading the chat up to this point and sharing my experience.

An autistic woman with post-viral chronic fatigue saved my life with her love.

Background: I have a diagnosis of autism (I haven’t looked up the new research on what the different levels mean).  I got that at a young age and it was helpful, but it left things unexplained.  I suspected I also had bipolar and schizophrenia, but they come with a lot more baggage so I was scared to get that investigated by an expensive psychiatrist and go through all that pain until I had ruled out some other things and had developed the social skills and understanding to allow me to be assessed accurately.

I have very intense relationships with people and I’m very sensitive to the mental states of others.  I can’t cope with bright lights and crowded spaces without my prescription glasses which took me a while to process that I needed and how I should use them as I was used to being short sighted and my vision shutting down to a narrow cone and three metres in front of me when anxious.

I need a level of hyper self awareness to be able to understand the impacts of the chemical interactions in my brain and responses to barometric pressure among other things.  I shake if I don’t carefully regulate my dopamine.  I go manic or crash if I don’t carefully manage my endorphins.

I get paranoid if I am unable to self soothe myself enough to be restful and carefully re-process my thoughts into healthier ones.

I couldn’t bear to be on medication when I was in my teens.  The treatments weren’t good enough to help do anything, but shut me down back then.

I had a psychiatrist try to tell me I was ADHD and I felt so abused by their dismissals of my discomfort and terrifying experience of being on amphetamines and wanting to punch and stab people.  I couldn’t form healthy relationships with people I loved.

I suffered gender dysmorphia, couldn’t do self care and generally struggled to feel comfortable and free of pain in my own body.

But people loved me and people from numerous different disciplines and ways of life kept offering to help me and giving me just enough support to keep me alive due to my potential.  Even when some people thought I was evil, or a demon or a potential mass murderer or playing up as bad behaviour as possible for attention.

The mental health stigma was too bad to be allowed to discuss my thoughts.

I couldn’t understand how certain businesses were building up profiles of people through random sampling and paper trail so I felt constantly examined.

The people that made me feel the best also made me feel the worst.

I’m easily addicted to other people and people are easily addicted to me.

I couldn’t have the positive relationships with women that I craved.  All I could do was spiral down and neg.

I couldn’t easily identify with either heteronormative gender and form that connection.

One thing that saved me was an understanding of standard deviation I only got because a university lecturer allowed me to cheat by taking photographs of the answers so I could have time to process the answers into my own understanding  how things naturally vary.

Another thing that saved me was the teachings of Jesus even though I believe in death and rational understanding.

Another thing that saved me was improved education and improved treatments when I eventually broke down again in my mid 20s and needed medication to find out what was going on with my body and achieve consistent lucidity.

But the most important person that saved me is an autistic woman that I knew had the rare traits I needed in a relationship and I tried so hard to protect and encourage them.

They are magic for me, logically and scientifically understanding my problems.  Their slow logic based methodical processes calm me down so much so I can experience love and participate in life instead of ending up homeless and helpless in the streets eventually giving into self harm and wanting an accelerated death.

I am so thankful that I have them.

So thank you to people like you Curl that allow me to have a consistent relationship with others in the world.

I won’t PM you or have chats with you anywhere other than relevant vgchartz posts where we can discuss the inhale exhale model of the Nintendo Switch and all that Nvidia 1630 inventory and improved RAM tech that make that possible at a consistent price without changing so much that it shocks people, and the qualities of OLED screens vs existing models LCD and other options like mini-LED.

But thank you for reading this post and making sense of it in your own time even if it takes you a few months to process it as well.

An educated autistic woman who had also suffered huge pain saved my life and I really hope that one day you find that person you can relate to that calms you and makes participating in life so much more worthwhile.

As a bonus I’ve found people that matter wait for people like us to be ready to participate more in their lives so don’t ever feel the need to rush yourself for others.

ireadtabloids said:
curl-6 said:

I took a few months to process this topic and get to know you a bit before wading in and reading the chat up to this point and sharing my experience.

An autistic woman with post-viral chronic fatigue saved my life with her love.

Background: I have a diagnosis of autism (I haven’t looked up the new research on what the different levels mean).  I got that at a young age and it was helpful, but it left things unexplained.  I suspected I also had bipolar and schizophrenia, but they come with a lot more baggage so I was scared to get that investigated by an expensive psychiatrist and go through all that pain until I had ruled out some other things and had developed the social skills and understanding to allow me to be assessed accurately.

I have very intense relationships with people and I’m very sensitive to the mental states of others.  I can’t cope with bright lights and crowded spaces without my prescription glasses which took me a while to process that I needed and how I should use them as I was used to being short sighted and my vision shutting down to a narrow cone and three metres in front of me when anxious.

I need a level of hyper self awareness to be able to understand the impacts of the chemical interactions in my brain and responses to barometric pressure among other things.  I shake if I don’t carefully regulate my dopamine.  I go manic or crash if I don’t carefully manage my endorphins.

I get paranoid if I am unable to self soothe myself enough to be restful and carefully re-process my thoughts into healthier ones.

I couldn’t bear to be on medication when I was in my teens.  The treatments weren’t good enough to help do anything, but shut me down back then.

I had a psychiatrist try to tell me I was ADHD and I felt so abused by their dismissals of my discomfort and terrifying experience of being on amphetamines and wanting to punch and stab people.  I couldn’t form healthy relationships with people I loved.

I suffered gender dysmorphia, couldn’t do self care and generally struggled to feel comfortable and free of pain in my own body.

But people loved me and people from numerous different disciplines and ways of life kept offering to help me and giving me just enough support to keep me alive due to my potential.  Even when some people thought I was evil, or a demon or a potential mass murderer or playing up as bad behaviour as possible for attention.

The mental health stigma was too bad to be allowed to discuss my thoughts.

I couldn’t understand how certain businesses were building up profiles of people through random sampling and paper trail so I felt constantly examined.

The people that made me feel the best also made me feel the worst.

I’m easily addicted to other people and people are easily addicted to me.

I couldn’t have the positive relationships with women that I craved.  All I could do was spiral down and neg.

I couldn’t easily identify with either heteronormative gender and form that connection.

One thing that saved me was an understanding of standard deviation I only got because a university lecturer allowed me to cheat by taking photographs of the answers so I could have time to process the answers into my own understanding  how things naturally vary.

Another thing that saved me was the teachings of Jesus even though I believe in death and rational understanding.

Another thing that saved me was improved education and improved treatments when I eventually broke down again in my mid 20s and needed medication to find out what was going on with my body and achieve consistent lucidity.

But the most important person that saved me is an autistic woman that I knew had the rare traits I needed in a relationship and I tried so hard to protect and encourage them.

They are magic for me, logically and scientifically understanding my problems.  Their slow logic based methodical processes calm me down so much so I can experience love and participate in life instead of ending up homeless and helpless in the streets eventually giving into self harm and wanting an accelerated death.

I am so thankful that I have them.

So thank you to people like you Curl that allow me to have a consistent relationship with others in the world.

I won’t PM you or have chats with you anywhere other than relevant vgchartz posts where we can discuss the inhale exhale model of the Nintendo Switch and all that Nvidia 1630 inventory and improved RAM tech that make that possible at a consistent price without changing so much that it shocks people, and the qualities of OLED screens vs existing models LCD and other options like mini-LED.

But thank you for reading this post and making sense of it in your own time even if it takes you a few months to process it as well.

An educated autistic woman who had also suffered huge pain saved my life and I really hope that one day you find that person you can relate to that calms you and makes participating in life so much more worthwhile.

Thank you for taking the time to watch/read and respond so comprehensively; it sounds like you're an incredibly strong person to have come through so much, and I'm really glad you found someone that you connect with in such a powerful way.

It's always nice to hear from other Autistics too.

Thank you.

Apologies to everyone.  I got shifted off sedatives mixed with an energy booster to something that makes me hyper aware, but still the energy booster making me manic.  Off the energy booster and took some time to relax with my partner and I hope everyone is ok.

Hi, my medication mix has been settled so I felt safe coming back and saying that my mother and I both very much enjoyed your keynote.