By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware September 13 to 19 - Mario 3D All-Stars Boosts Switch Sales to Over 500,000

Make sense it got a bigger boost in NA and Europe compared to Japan since 3D mario games were never really popular there.
Did it surpass the WW sales of last year when the lite came out ?

Around the Network

How in the world did the 3DS sell 13,000 this week?

xMetroid said:
Make sense it got a bigger boost in NA and Europe compared to Japan since 3D mario games were never really popular there.
Did it surpass the WW sales of last year when the lite came out ?

No... last year sales for Lite was about 590K. 

Close enough.

NPD September tracking period through 3 weeks of VGC tracking is 455K, so already ahead of Sep 2019 with two weeks to go (Sep NPD is 5 weeks). Looks like NSW will target 750-800K this year, so we're looking at a new US September record unless VGC algo is overtracking.

Aww I was hoping the Switch was gonna be up YoY. Still being only 13% down is good and a few months ago there was no way I would expect it to be over 500k this week. Something of note is this should be the last week of the 3DS being above 10k.

Around the Network

Well, good for them, now how about I get my copy of 3D All-stars already?!

Oh word it is written in the main post my bad i was in a hurry lol.
Still great tho even if it didn't beat last year.

Norion said:

Aww I was hoping the Switch was gonna be up YoY. Still being only 13% down is good and a few months ago there was no way I would expect it to be over 500k this week. Something of note is this should be the last week of the 3DS being above 10k.

I also was hoping they would be up YoY.  I actually think if Nintendo shipped more systems to Japan then they could have done it.  Sales are still good this week, but also Switch is in short supply in several places, especially Japan.  I think they could have been up this week if they had shipped more.

The Switch is actually up in the U.S., Europe, and the Rest of the World compared to last year with the Lite launch + Link's Awakening. But the massive deficit in Japan is what has it down overall.

Exhibit A of just how big the handheld market still is over there.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Norion said:

I also was hoping they would be up YoY.  I actually think if Nintendo shipped more systems to Japan then they could have done it.  Sales are still good this week, but also Switch is in short supply in several places, especially Japan.  I think they could have been up this week if they had shipped more.

You're probably right it could've been up if more systems were shipped to Japan. I suppose they wanna save more units for the holidays which makes sense due how massive demand will be.