By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese Financial Expert predict that Sony will able to sell 200 Million PS5 (lifetime sales)

Tagged games:

will PS5 able to surpassed PS4 lifetime sales

Yes 14 15.56%

No 59 65.56%

close 15 16.67%

Not much 2 2.22%

Total:90
Norion said:

Those three combined are at 223.9 million

You forget people who own 2 (and even 3) different systems:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/more_than_40_percent_of_switch_owners_in_the_us_have_another_video_game_system

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Norion said:

Those three combined are at 223.9 million

You forget people who own 2 (and even 3) different systems:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/more_than_40_percent_of_switch_owners_in_the_us_have_another_video_game_system

Oh yeah I did. My mind focused solely on total sales for whatever reason. Combine that with all the people who buy multiple of the same system either to collect every version or replace broken or lost ones and it's probably quite a good amount under 200 million.

This expert analysis must be from another planet.

Marth said:
RolStoppable said:

Are you able to translate it?

There are translation services out there.

While the artcle talks about PS5 and 200M it is more in the line of "this is the potential customer base that PS5 could reach thanks to the existing Playstation userbase since PS2 days and the potential of growth thanks to esports related titles and activities.

But also they predict 12M first year (up from 10M originally) and 20M second year for PS5. (with PS4 around 9M this year and 5M next year)

They also talk about a whole lot of other stuff like Switch and Capcom performance. This is not a PS5 exclusive article.

He's factually incorrect on this one, no Playstation console had a userbase of 200 million, let alone a persistent 200 million userbase since the PS2.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This might age as poorly as the switch will fail predictions.

Around the Network

Analysts might understand more about a whole company or market as the average guy knows about but they don't know more than as example people on this forum about potential PS5 sales.

That's why I never understand why people on gaming forums talk so much about the opinion of analysts.

You guys spend sometimes hours a day just to talk about Playstation. There is no reason why he should understand the potentisl of Playstation better than you.

I believe the article has mistaken the Sony ps5 for the Nintendo Switch. If any console has the slightest chance at breaking the 200M wall down it is the Nintendo Switch. I say this because households are now starting to buy multiple switches and nintendo is trying to promote households owning multiple switches. With mario kart live circuit I will probably grab a second switch to have just so I can play it with friends when they come over.

After what Microsoft did, I'm not sure the PS5 will outsell the PS4, yet alone come anywhere close to 200m.