By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese Financial Expert predict that Sony will able to sell 200 Million PS5 (lifetime sales)

Tagged games:

will PS5 able to surpassed PS4 lifetime sales

Yes 14 15.56%

No 59 65.56%

close 15 16.67%

Not much 2 2.22%

Total:90

A bold prediction. I am skeptical however.

Around the Network

200m requires a region breakdown... that would be like 70m NA... 30m Japan... 100m everything else.

I'm as excited for the PS5 as the next person, but this is laughable! I feel the PS5 will end up roughly around the PS4. Might end up third all time behind PS4 even but will face much more stiff competition this time.

Too many repliest just saying he is Japanese analyst or discussing size of Japanese market, when this is global sales projection.
I don't know if 200m is likely or not, but perhaps factors in it's favor might be perceived ability to continue to lower prices?
With discless an option (that would otherwise not decline as much as chips) and APU/SSD prone to process improvements, sure.
With or without Gamepass like service, Sony could offer installment plan like MS is, after all they already have their own bank.
Things do feel like they are leaning to something like Gamepass though, to me the Epic deal also makes sense in that light.
Maybe 200m is too big in the end, but not because he's Japanese, and not because of the Japanese market size per se.

I don't think there's 200m potential customers for the PS5 and XSX combined.

Around the Network

That's not even 2% of the world population, to call him a lowballer is a understatement..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

it will be interesting to see how much ps5 sells at launch then we can go from there

I'm sure there isn't even 200 million owners of Switch, XBONE and PS4 yet

For PS5 alone get this much they will need a massive increase number of console gamers. USA, Japan and Europe are all very saturated markets and LATAM is just not a big market due to economical reasons

So if they want such a big increase on console gamers they will need to somehow convince chinese and Indians to buy hardware at least in the same rates as LATAM. I'm not seeing any Sony effort to get increase in sales from those markets

Mummelmann said:
Is it by chance the famous Johno Lucasso?

OT: No way, he's smoking something fierce. No console has any chance of selling that much. I still maintain that the PS2 will remain unbeaten by gaming consoles in any known form due to the changes in the market (most notably the pace with which it moves and the growing need for revision to maintain consumer interest and decent sales).

Haha thats a name I haven't heard for a while. Last time I heard Wii U was flying off the shelves.

Yeah, this is a stupid prediction. It has a chance to match or slightly be ahead of PS4, I doubt it can sell much more than that.

IcaroRibeiro said:

I'm sure there isn't even 200 million owners of Switch, XBONE and PS4 yet

For PS5 alone get this much they will need a massive increase number of console gamers. USA, Japan and Europe are all very saturated markets and LATAM is just not a big market due to economical reasons

So if they want such a big increase on console gamers they will need to somehow convince chinese and Indians to buy hardware at least in the same rates as LATAM. I'm not seeing any Sony effort to get increase in sales from those markets

Those three combined are at 223.9 million but yeah a system reaching 200 million will only be possible if they get lots of people in China and India to buy it and streaming will probably take over before that could happen.