By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts so far on Mario 3D All Stars:

I was able to play about two hours of Mario 3D All Stars so far once 12am hit. And I tried out all 3 games.

I have to say, I'm quite surprised by how beautiful these games look in crisp HD. Going into this I didn't expect the games to look this gorgeous in HD since all Nintendo did was pretty much just upscaled the resolution with very little to no texture work done. However, the artstyles of Sunshine and Galaxy age so well that seeing them in HD legitimately makes them look like modern games and they're beautiful to look at. I'm amazed at how beautiful these games look now. This is probably what Nintendo pictured these games to look like at the time of making them however obviously hardware limitations prevented this, but now in HD they look amazingly good.

I know there's definitely a crowd that's disappointed that these weren't full on remakes or they didn't put much effort at all in improving the textures. However, I feel like games like Sunshine and Galaxy just being upscaled to an HD resolution is really all I need, because those games age well enough in terms of poly count and textures to look beautiful in HD, and I don't think a remake in the Odyssey engine would look THAT much better than what it is now. Plus, I'd rather Nintendo focus their efforts towards making the next 3D Mario game rather than wasting time making remakes from the ground up. I'm completely happy with these games just being rendered in HD, they still look beautiful like this. 

Honestly I can't imagine ever going back to play the original versions of these games anymore, the ports on Switch look so much better. I recommend anyone who's on the fence with this collection to pick it up, even if you already have these games the HD resolution makes a world of a difference that you won't want to miss out on. 

Around the Network

Mario Galaxy has always been pretty, even during the 7th gen it was one of the overal best looking games despite being on the Wii. Judging from the trailer, the HD resolution bump really improves it. The game should be arriving in my mail today, but likely won’t get around to playing it just yet.

Any word on the camera? Back in the day, the camera for SM Sunshine would go insane for certain levels. Either way, can't wait to try these games myself!

It ships today (18th), right? I think I'll get mine on monday!

d21lewis said:
Any word on the camera? Back in the day, the camera for SM Sunshine would go insane for certain levels. Either way, can't wait to try these games myself!

Can't say I ever had any major issues with the camera for Sunshine (at least from what I can recall), and I played through it earlier this year. What levels did you have problems with? It seems the camera controls are no longer inverted though, and there's no option to change it back, which is a massive ballache.

Around the Network

My experience with the game so far: I bought the physical edition at Media Markt and drove it home. I put it on the table and it's still there where I left it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
My experience with the game so far: I bought the physical edition at Media Markt and drove it home. I put it on the table and it's still there where I left it.

7.8/10: Too much table?

Peh said:

How are the controls and visuals? Clutter on the table? Decent camera and POV when you placed it there? We're dying to know!

I wish I could give my thoughts but Amazon hasn’t even shipped my package they said would be here on release day

Just downloaded it. Got the first star in Mario 64! I'll probably just play through the games in order. Feels great to be playing Mario 64 again. Haven't played it in probably around 20 years. The controls mapped to the joycons feels very natural. And it looks great in HD. When it came out in '96 it looked great, but I realize today if it still had the same resolution as the original game it'd probably look real low res, so in HD it basically looks how I remember it looking back in the day when the graphics were state of the art. Playing Mario 64 again reminds me how great the game is while also at the same time reminding me how far gaming has come since then. I'm glad they didn't change the graphics or anything to try to modernize it, I'd rather be playing these games how they were made than some 13-24 years late edited version.

As much as there is to complain about with this game (well two things specifically: no Galaxy 2 and limited release), if you're a Mario fan you gotta get this game. I'm as excited for playing back through these three games as I could be for any new game and now I'll always have these games in my collection for the future! I almost don't want to go visit Yellowstone for the first time today and instead just play Mario haha, but a gotta balance out real life with Mario ha!

Edit: Oh and I just realized I didn't even notice the screen not being widescreen in 64 haha. I've seen so many people complain about that, but I literally didn't notice it or think about it at all, and it just occurred to me now, so far anyone complaining about that it is definitely not an issue when you're playing the gam and if you're not thinking about it you might not even notice it either.