By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts so far on Mario 3D All Stars:

JWeinCom said:

Mario 3D All Stars is like a restaurant that has delicious food. And they know their food is so good that they don't bother making the restaurant look nice, the cashiers have an attitude, and they just slap it on a paper plate. And you resent them for it, but you still begrudgingly have to buy it because it's delicious.

Lol, sounds like some of the barbeque restaurants in Kansas City.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Bristow9091 said:
Got it today, my girlfriend is currently playing Sunshine and it's upscaled really nice... Apparently you can't backwards long jump on SM64 anymore though so I can't do an 8 minute speedrun anymore, feelsbadman. Oh well, it's the best 3D Mario game (Fight me!) so I'll enjoy playing it properly again :)

I was never a fan of those speed runs in the first place. 120 stars or 70 stars runs are so entertaining to watch compared to ones that use that glitch.

Just done a 70 star run in 1:04, I'm rusty and there's plenty of areas I could improve... my PB for 70 star was 54 minutes but I've not done it in years, always gone for Any% runs, which are basically no star lol

Galaxy is just a mood, still brilliant as 2007

The thing about Mario Galaxy is that it has always been stunning. Even by today's standards, it's always looked quite pretty. A timeless quality game.

I'm not sure how I would feel about re-doing the graphics differently. Even to this day, Super Mario Allstars doesn't feel right to me.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Sunshine looks great in HD

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Any tips for the Mario 64 camera?
There are two controls, and the right stick.

I'm not quite getting it. Some times too far, some times too close. It isn't following around me like when I turn a corner on the mountain etc.

It's just an old, old game. On of the first (if not THE FIRST) that let you control the camera as you move in 3D space. The whole reason that the N64 had "C-buttons" and the analog stick. Gaming has come a long way since then but, for this game, you just have to work with what you got. If it hasn't clicked with you yet, don't worry. It will. This game was the first time many of us ever played a 3D game after the NES and SNES and we adapted... eventually.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Bandorr said:

I'm not quite getting it. Some times too far, some times too close. It isn't following around me like when I turn a corner on the mountain etc.

One thing you have to remember is that it's strictly a left-right camera, you can't tilt it up or down. It used to be controlled with four buttons, not a stick, so if you go up on the stick you'll end up going into free look mode but Mario will stop moving. I usually keep the camera in the farther perspective and hit left-right a few times to get a better angle whenever I come across a section where the automatic camera doesn't show what it should.

Signature goes here!

d21lewis said:
Bandorr said:

It's just an old, old game. On of the first (if not THE FIRST) that let you control the camera as you move in 3D space. The whole reason that the N64 had "C-buttons" and the analog stick. Gaming has come a long way since then but, for this game, you just have to work with what you got. If it hasn't clicked with you yet, don't worry. It will. This game was the first time many of us ever played a 3D game after the NES and SNES and we adapted... eventually.

TruckOSaurus said:
Bandorr said:

One thing you have to remember is that it's strictly a left-right camera, you can't tilt it up or down. It used to be controlled with four buttons, not a stick, so if you go up on the stick you'll end up going into free look mode but Mario will stop moving. I usually keep the camera in the farther perspective and hit left-right a few times to get a better angle whenever I come across a section where the automatic camera doesn't show what it should.

Yeah I had a 64. I just didn't much time with it sadly.  I remember being bad with the game then, and I'm bad with it now.  Thanks for the advices.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

I'm 56 stars into Mario 64 now. Lovin' getting back into this game. Also makes me realize how short the game is. I've only played for maybe 6 hours and I'm almost half way to 100% it. Quite the difference between more modern Mario like Odyssey that takes several dozen hours to get close to 100%'ing. But it was the first real open 3D game so makes sense.

Slownenberg said:
I'm 56 stars into Mario 64 now. Lovin' getting back into this game. Also makes me realize how short the game is. I've only played for maybe 6 hours and I'm almost half way to 100% it. Quite the difference between more modern Mario like Odyssey that takes several dozen hours to get close to 100%'ing. But it was the first real open 3D game so makes sense.

Well you have to factor in the fact that you know exactly what to do and where every star/power up is. On a first playthrough, you wouldn't be anywhere near 56 stars after 6 hours (but yes Odyssey does have more content for sure).

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 21 September 2020

Signature goes here!