By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts so far on Mario 3D All Stars:

The thing about Mario Galaxy is that it has always been stunning. Even by today's standards, it's always looked quite pretty. A timeless quality game.

I'm not sure how I would feel about re-doing the graphics differently. Even to this day, Super Mario Allstars doesn't feel right to me.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Sunshine looks great in HD

Bandorr said:
Any tips for the Mario 64 camera?
There are two controls, and the right stick.

I'm not quite getting it. Some times too far, some times too close. It isn't following around me like when I turn a corner on the mountain etc.

It's just an old, old game. On of the first (if not THE FIRST) that let you control the camera as you move in 3D space. The whole reason that the N64 had "C-buttons" and the analog stick. Gaming has come a long way since then but, for this game, you just have to work with what you got. If it hasn't clicked with you yet, don't worry. It will. This game was the first time many of us ever played a 3D game after the NES and SNES and we adapted... eventually.

Bandorr said:
Any tips for the Mario 64 camera?
There are two controls, and the right stick.

I'm not quite getting it. Some times too far, some times too close. It isn't following around me like when I turn a corner on the mountain etc.

One thing you have to remember is that it's strictly a left-right camera, you can't tilt it up or down. It used to be controlled with four buttons, not a stick, so if you go up on the stick you'll end up going into free look mode but Mario will stop moving. I usually keep the camera in the farther perspective and hit left-right a few times to get a better angle whenever I come across a section where the automatic camera doesn't show what it should.

Signature goes here!

I'm 56 stars into Mario 64 now. Lovin' getting back into this game. Also makes me realize how short the game is. I've only played for maybe 6 hours and I'm almost half way to 100% it. Quite the difference between more modern Mario like Odyssey that takes several dozen hours to get close to 100%'ing. But it was the first real open 3D game so makes sense.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
I'm 56 stars into Mario 64 now. Lovin' getting back into this game. Also makes me realize how short the game is. I've only played for maybe 6 hours and I'm almost half way to 100% it. Quite the difference between more modern Mario like Odyssey that takes several dozen hours to get close to 100%'ing. But it was the first real open 3D game so makes sense.

Well you have to factor in the fact that you know exactly what to do and where every star/power up is. On a first playthrough, you wouldn't be anywhere near 56 stars after 6 hours (but yes Odyssey does have more content for sure).

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 21 September 2020

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Slownenberg said:

Well you have to factor in the fact that you know exactly what to do and where every star/power up is. On a first playthrough, you wouldn't be anywhere near 56 stars after 6 hours (but yes Odyssey does have more content for sure).

Well to be fair I haven't played the game in 20 years so I don't remember the vast majority of where stuff is. I just remember most of the levels in general but only remember where a handful of stars are, and like I had no idea when or where in the game I'd get to enable the three cap powerups. The level I'm playing through right now I don't even remember it existing at all. But yeah since I've played it before it is going a little faster than the first time when i was probably just jumping around exploring all over worlds just for fun, where as now I'm just straight up going after stars so its a bit faster. It just reminded me I've seen a few people complain that Odyssey is short and I'm like what the hell Odyssey is a super long game for a platformer and a long game just in general. Made me think those people who think Odyssey should be the length of a long RPG need to play through Mario 64 to get some perspective!

Anyway, up to 76 stars now! Looks like I'll be starting Sunshine later this week!

Slownenberg said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Well to be fair I haven't played the game in 20 years so I don't remember the vast majority of where stuff is. I just remember most of the levels in general but only remember where a handful of stars are, and like I had no idea when or where in the game I'd get to enable the three cap powerups. The level I'm playing through right now I don't even remember it existing at all. But yeah since I've played it before it is going a little faster than the first time when i was probably just jumping around exploring all over worlds just for fun, where as now I'm just straight up going after stars so its a bit faster. It just reminded me I've seen a few people complain that Odyssey is short and I'm like what the hell Odyssey is a super long game for a platformer and a long game just in general. Made me think those people who think Odyssey should be the length of a long RPG need to play through Mario 64 to get some perspective!

Anyway, up to 76 stars now! Looks like I'll be starting Sunshine later this week!

When the game first came out and wrote the rule book on how 3D games should play, most gamers spent the first few hours of the game just running around outside the castle triple jumping, long jumping, wall jumping off the castle, swimming, and climbing trees in amazement!

Amazing package, bonus for them adding the sound tracks too.

I reluctantly bought the game digitally over the weekend. I've only played Super Mario 64 so far. My plan is to complete the final boss in each game before starting the next one. I wish Super Mario 64 was in widescreen. Also the camera feels really rough.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima