By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts so far on Mario 3D All Stars:

You can call it what you want, it is a scandal, Mario 64 not being 1080p 60fps, it is a perfect synthesis of how stingy Nintendo is today.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
I reluctantly bought the game digitally over the weekend. I've only played Super Mario 64 so far. My plan is to complete the final boss in each game before starting the next one. I wish Super Mario 64 was in widescreen. Also the camera feels really rough.

Yeah I'm doing the same going through one by one. I beat Mario 64, still have 5 stars left to 100% it though, but started Sunshine yesterday. Honestly I didn't even notice Mario 64 not being in widescreen while I was playing until several hours in. It certainly would have been nice if they put in the effort to make it widescreen, but I barely noticed it at all my entire way through the game. And it looks great in HD. Yeah for sure the camera in Mario 64 is rough these days haha. I'm loving getting to go back through these games, with all of them looking fantastic in HD! I just hope they make Galaxy 2 available separately eventually.

Amnesia said:
You can call it what you want, it is a scandal, Mario 64 not being 1080p 60fps, it is a perfect synthesis of how stingy Nintendo is today.

Mario 64 is in HD, it's just not widescreen. Since it only takes up part of the screen it can't be in 1080p, despite being in HD, but it's still that same resolution as a widescreen 1080p game, it's just not widescreen, that is the only reason it is technically not 1080p. I don't get why you would care it's not at 60fps, games only need to be 60fps if stuff is moving really fast on screen. There is no slowdown in the game. 60fps or 90fps or 120fps wouldn't make any difference. They just straight ported (or i guess emulated) the games over and added HD resolution. They didn't mess with anything like framerate, and they didn't need to. It runs perfect and looks great. Sure it would have been nice if they put actual effort into this collection with like extra features and stuff, but it is in HD and the framerate is perfect so I don't know why you'd pick those two things to complain about - I can only assume you haven't played it yet. It's Mario 64, exactly how we all remember it, but in HD. Nothing bad about that!

Mario 64 is in HD and runs perfect, I wouldn't exactly call that a scandal haha.

I got 100 stars into Mario 64 before deciding to start up Sunshine again. I ADORE 64 but after waiting specifically for this collection to replay Sunshine again, I couldn't wait any longer haha. 64 still holds up incredibly well in my opinion. Definitely has a junky camera system by modern standards, but having played it so many times I definitely think it's workable, you just have to know how it works. That game is so much fun and it controls way better on Switch than it ever did on the N64, so I definitely appreciate this version. As for Sunshine...personally I love the game despite some minor flaws. And it feels amazing on Switch. Looks amazing too! It looks crystal clear on the TV, although I don't think it compares to modern releases. That being said, in handheld mode, it absolutely does. It is GORGEOUS on the smaller Switch screen, I seriously can't get over the fact that it's even running on a handheld, even though I know it isn't terribly impressive for an 18 year old game lol.

Galaxy I'm gonna wait on because I just replayed it earlier this year. Still an amazing game though, and basically flawless. I imagine this version is even nicer to play so I'm excited for the next time I get that itch to play Galaxy.

Overall it's a phenomenal package and I don't at all understand the complaints. These games are easily worth the price of admission even as older releases because they are just that good. And the little nitpick about the menus don't seem to hold much weight either, as they look very nice in motion. They all run flawlessly on Switch. I still think the limited release was a terrible idea, but as long as you get it in the next few months that is a non-issue, and these games are totally worth it.

Zero_Revolution said:
I got 100 stars into Mario 64 before deciding to start up Sunshine again. I ADORE 64 but after waiting specifically for this collection to replay Sunshine again, I couldn't wait any longer haha. 64 still holds up incredibly well in my opinion. Definitely has a junky camera system by modern standards, but having played it so many times I definitely think it's workable, you just have to know how it works. That game is so much fun and it controls way better on Switch than it ever did on the N64, so I definitely appreciate this version. As for Sunshine...personally I love the game despite some minor flaws. And it feels amazing on Switch. Looks amazing too! It looks crystal clear on the TV, although I don't think it compares to modern releases. That being said, in handheld mode, it absolutely does. It is GORGEOUS on the smaller Switch screen, I seriously can't get over the fact that it's even running on a handheld, even though I know it isn't terribly impressive for an 18 year old game lol.

Galaxy I'm gonna wait on because I just replayed it earlier this year. Still an amazing game though, and basically flawless. I imagine this version is even nicer to play so I'm excited for the next time I get that itch to play Galaxy.

Overall it's a phenomenal package and I don't at all understand the complaints. These games are easily worth the price of admission even as older releases because they are just that good. And the little nitpick about the menus don't seem to hold much weight either, as they look very nice in motion. They all run flawlessly on Switch. I still think the limited release was a terrible idea, but as long as you get it in the next few months that is a non-issue, and these games are totally worth it.

100%

Mario 64 not being widescreen is a minor gripe, and playing through the game I barely even noticed it let alone cared about it, but I don't understand why they didn't put in the effort to make it widescreen. The limited release is very stupid from a business and consumer perspective, but it only affects people who don't own Switch yet or don't have the money to buy it in the six month window, since I got the game day one it doesn't affect me.

The main reasonable complaint is the omission of Galaxy 2 in a collection that includes Galaxy, because that just makes no logical sense. If there had only been one Galaxy game and the second Wii Mario game was something else it would be fine, but splitting up the Galaxy games is just bizarre and feels intentionally underhanded. It'd be like releasing a Metroid Prime collection and only including the first two games!

And of course it would have been nice, considering they used the All-Stars branding, if they had packed this collection full of extra features and goodies, instead of just making a straight plain collection with a songs menu. The games all look, feel, and play amazing. The only reason to hate on the game itself is to fulfill the rampant "internet complaining" desire that lots of people seem to have these days. Nintendo could have actually put work into this and blown us away, but instead they went the lazy route and just gave us a plain but fantastic collection of Mario games that is an absolute join to play and well worth the price. It's disappointing because it could have been so much more, it could have been a love letter to fans, but for what it is, a simple collection of games, it doesn't get much better than three incredible Mario games.

People are probably mostly complaining because of expectations. If it hadn't leaked, and the first we heard of it was an official announcement saying they are releasing an HD collection of ports for the first 3 mario games, and they didn't use the All-Stars branding because the original All-Stars had a lot of extra work put into it, and they at the same time announced Galaxy 2 releasing separately at the same time because they decided four games was worth more than $60 or they just included it, there wouldn't really be anything to complain about because people wouldn't have let their imaginations fly with absurd ideas of the games being completely remade or something like that.

Around the Network

Got the game on release day but had to wait until Monday to play it as I was visiting a friend over the weekend. It's so amazing to play these games again and I think they look incredible on the big TV. Nintendo made the right choice in only remastering them but updating the titles to make them look more modern and sharp. It preserves the feeling of the original games. Some thoughts:

Mario 64: This games holds up so well and as someone who played the slower PAL version it feels very responsive. Rumble support is nice and it captures that fascination I had when playing the game as a kid. Love it. But the DS version is way superior when it comes to camera control, content, character movement and collision detection. People shit on the DS version way too much! (Looking at you, GameXplain) Still, this might be my favourite version of the game.

Aspect ratio: I think the reason why Mario 64 is not widescreen is that some objects (like doors) only get loaded in whenever more than 50% of their surface is inside the 4:3 screen window. You can check this out by standing in front of the castle, go into "first person" perspective and slowly move the camera so the doors are at the very edge of the screen. I remember playing Mario 64 on an emulator with widescreen and a lot of objects were only visible when they were inside the original field of vision. Guess it would've been a bit of work to change all this so they kept the game in 4:3.

Mario Sunshine: Sunshine looks glorious in HD and visually it's my favourite game in the collection with its warm colours and lots of nice looking water. Controls are great, too. Strangely enough I enjoy looking for blue coins as I just collect them while doing missions and I'm absolutely thrilled by how much fun the game is. Just missing 60fps.

Mario Galaxy: That's the one I have played the least so far. It looks stunning in 1080p but the controls are worse than in the other two games as the game had to be controlled with the Wii remote originally. Pointer controls are a bit slow with the pro controller. Looking forward to playing this once I have finished 64 and Sunshine.

Also took the opportunity to show these games to my girlfriend. She likes Sunshine the most because of the tropical setting and Mario's move-set. 

Louie said:

Aspect ratio: I think the reason why Mario 64 is not widescreen is that some objects (like doors) only get loaded in whenever more than 50% of their surface is inside the 4:3 screen window. You can check this out by standing in front of the castle, go into "first person" perspective and slowly move the camera so the doors are at the very edge of the screen. I remember playing Mario 64 on an emulator with widescreen and a lot of objects were only visible when they were inside the original field of vision. Guess it would've been a bit of work to change all this so they kept the game in 4:3.

They shouldn't have been lazy and just emulated. Super Mario 64 has a native unofficial port thanks to the source code leak that runs 1080p60fps 16:9 with updated camera controls. If people can do it in their spare time Nintendo should absolutley have done it. Hobbyists created a superior product for free. 720p 4:3 is just a terrible port.

Barkley said:
Louie said:

They shouldn't have been lazy and just emulated. Super Mario 64 has a native unofficial port thanks to the source code leak that runs 1080p60fps 16:9 with updated camera controls. If people can do it in their spare time Nintendo should absolutley have done it. Hobbyists created a superior product for free. 720p 4:3 is just a terrible port.

I agree they could've put more effort into it but the PC port isn't perfect either. Sprite based objects and characters (like King Bob-Omb, trees, coins, etc.) look very bad in the PC port while they are a lot smoother and sharper in the All-Stars version. Same goes for HUD icons and text. And having rumble on Switch is nice. I definitely would've preferred Mario 64 to run in widescreen and full HD, don't get me wrong. Just pointing out that there are certain things the All-Stars version has going for it over the PC port. Although there could be a newer version of the PC release where these things are fixed.

Slownenberg said:
Zero_Revolution said:

100%

Mario 64 not being widescreen is a minor gripe, and playing through the game I barely even noticed it let alone cared about it, but I don't understand why they didn't put in the effort to make it widescreen. The limited release is very stupid from a business and consumer perspective, but it only affects people who don't own Switch yet or don't have the money to buy it in the six month window, since I got the game day one it doesn't affect me.

The main reasonable complaint is the omission of Galaxy 2 in a collection that includes Galaxy, because that just makes no logical sense. If there had only been one Galaxy game and the second Wii Mario game was something else it would be fine, but splitting up the Galaxy games is just bizarre and feels intentionally underhanded. It'd be like releasing a Metroid Prime collection and only including the first two games!

And of course it would have been nice, considering they used the All-Stars branding, if they had packed this collection full of extra features and goodies, instead of just making a straight plain collection with a songs menu. The games all look, feel, and play amazing. The only reason to hate on the game itself is to fulfill the rampant "internet complaining" desire that lots of people seem to have these days. Nintendo could have actually put work into this and blown us away, but instead they went the lazy route and just gave us a plain but fantastic collection of Mario games that is an absolute join to play and well worth the price. It's disappointing because it could have been so much more, it could have been a love letter to fans, but for what it is, a simple collection of games, it doesn't get much better than three incredible Mario games.

People are probably mostly complaining because of expectations. If it hadn't leaked, and the first we heard of it was an official announcement saying they are releasing an HD collection of ports for the first 3 mario games, and they didn't use the All-Stars branding because the original All-Stars had a lot of extra work put into it, and they at the same time announced Galaxy 2 releasing separately at the same time because they decided four games was worth more than $60 or they just included it, there wouldn't really be anything to complain about because people wouldn't have let their imaginations fly with absurd ideas of the games being completely remade or something like that.

Yeah, I do think it would have been worth putting some extra effort in to make 64 widescreen. It didn't bother me at all while playing, but it feels odd when the other two games are now in 16:9 and this just...isn't. It's a strange move. 

I'm not gonna lie, I feel the total opposite on Galaxy 2's omission. I from the get go, even when the rumors were going around, assumed Galaxy 2 wouldn't be included because it just doesn't make much sense. They're giving us three different types of Mario games with these three, and I feel like having Galaxy 2 in there would feel weird since it is largely very similar to the first Galaxy game. I'm not at all saying it SHOULDN'T be there, if it were I would have been very happy. But from that perspective I don't think it's really a glaring omission. We might see a separate release later though.

I definitely agree that most people got their hopes up due to the leaks. If this had been revealed with no prior knowledge of it happening, especially considering it was revealed only two weeks before launch, it would have been MUCH more exciting, and I don't think there would be AS MUCH complaining. (Still some lol) Even so, I don't understand why they didn't include any little bonuses. The soundtracks are nice and all, but I wish they gave us some more QoL features in the games, or even added in some new content. I like that the games look the same as the originals (I would hate them making every game look the same in the Odyssey engine or something, these each need their own distinct look) but retroactively putting Luigi in 64 or something small like that in each game would have made for some very neat surprises, and made it more exciting for those of us who have played these so many times before. Despite that, I still think it's more than worth full price, because these games are still absolutely amazing. But it is a bit disappointing it's lacking some of that.

I've been gaming since the 80s and Mario always felt like "My series". At least the mainline games. SMG2 was the first time ab Super Mario game didn't feel special to me. I've never beaten it. I even tried it again on Wii U with the digital version and still didn't beat it. I thought. Maybe I was just getting bored with Mario but I thoroughly enjoyed all the 3D World games and Odyssey. I had a similar feeling with NSMB U. I never finished it on Wii U but I got it for the Switch and had a blast.

Basically, I'm just saying that I'm totally okay with the lack of Galaxy 2. The greatest game I have no strong feelings about.