By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future of GameStop

So I'm wondering what the future of GameStop is.  The newest generation is clearly trying to push gamers into a pure digital download experience.  Nintendo appears to be neutral on the idea for now.  Could GameStop (heard a rumor some big changes were coming to their stores in October) being looking at a future with a close relationship with Nintendo?  Nintendo still has a major showing for physical games and Amiibo support seems to be increasing.  Seems like a good idea for Nintendo to use GameStop as a way to promote their brand and GameStop is going to have to adapt with Sony/Microsoft looking to continue to grow their digital sales.

Even the Monster Hunter Amiibo's coming are exclusive to GameStop.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1306623958603706369?s=20

So what do you think, is GameStop going to the "ambassador" of the Nintendo brand? I mean, they even have Reggie on their board now...

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network

I don't want them to go away but even if both consoles were 100% physical. Gamestop is dying anyway from bad practices. Treating employees and customers badly for more than a decade. Still a lot of smaller chains tho of local game shops. Support those, please.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
I don't want them to go away but even if both consoles were 100% physical. Gamestop is dying anyway from bad practices. Treating employees and customers badly for more than a decade. Still a lot of smaller chains tho of local game shops. Support those, please.

I support both.  The local GameStop that I shop at is ran well and has a good manager.  The other game shops in the area are good for more retro video gaming.

Nintendo with the Switch:

I don't want to overestimate how quickly GameStop will die. But the writing has been on the wall the past few years and especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic and how GameStop bungled it. I haven't bought anything from GameStop since 2019 when I got the exclusive Azula Funko POP. Before that, I don't think I'd shopped there since at least 2016. The closest I ever was to a regular at GameStop was around 2007-2011. GameStop will probably die around 2030, but will downsize well before then.
There's not a place for widespread video game retail chains in the era of online shopping and digital games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

They don't have it

Around the Network

Digital all the way, physical obsolete.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I don't know. For me to ever care about being a GameStop consumer again they would have to quit hiring anti Nintendo trolls. It doesn't seem likely anytime soon. It's a difficult thing to ask low wage employees to leave their biases at the door and to remember that they should be a cheerleader for the entire industry, not just their preferred compan(ies), but it should be required. It just makes good customer service sense. I'm not the kind of customer to loiter and waste an associate's time, but if you want to engage me in a dialog about gaming (because that's what your customer service guidelines request), don't make every conversation into some console wars flame thread. If you can't handle that bit of cordiality, then allow me to shop for my Nintendo merchandise in peace. And this goes for any bias, not just in regards to Nintendo. These stores need to hold their employees to a higher standard (and breadth of interest). It is, after all, one of the funnest jobs you can have as a kid. Show some respect to the honor and the perks that come along with it.

I haven't been in a GameStop in years, but glancing through the window and at their website of late, they seem to be transitioning into more collectibles, accessories, and merchandise. This is definitely a smaller niche and they will almost certainly have to keep downsizing, but it seems at least somewhat viable.

super_etecoon said:
I don't know. For me to ever care about being a GameStop consumer again they would have to quit hiring anti Nintendo trolls. It doesn't seem likely anytime soon. It's a difficult thing to ask low wage employees to leave their biases at the door and to remember that they should be a cheerleader for the entire industry, not just their preferred compan(ies), but it should be required. It just makes good customer service sense. I'm not the kind of customer to loiter and waste an associate's time, but if you want to engage me in a dialog about gaming (because that's what your customer service guidelines request), don't make every conversation into some console wars flame thread. If you can't handle that bit of cordiality, then allow me to shop for my Nintendo merchandise in peace. And this goes for any bias, not just in regards to Nintendo. These stores need to hold their employees to a higher standard (and breadth of interest). It is, after all, one of the funnest jobs you can have as a kid. Show some respect to the honor and the perks that come along with it.

it is the funnest job because of the war

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
super_etecoon said:

it is the funnest job because of the war

Best fought on the internet gridiron, not while you're trying to sell customers your products.