By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future of GameStop

It sucks for people who work there but the business is trash. If GS went away and it allowed smaller chains to thrive, that would be great.

Around the Network

How do people come up with there crazy assumptions...its beyond me and Gamestop is beyond saving.

Nintendo doesn't control enough of the market to keep Gamestop afloat on its own.

Gamestop is a dying model. Those kinds of specialty retailers just don't exist anymore. Between big box stores, amazon, and digital sales, they're between a rock and a hard place. They've done a fairly good job overall of trying to keep themselves relevant. Integrating think geek was a good call. But, I just don't see how they can stay in existence in the current market.

super_etecoon said:
I don't know. For me to ever care about being a GameStop consumer again they would have to quit hiring anti Nintendo trolls. It doesn't seem likely anytime soon. It's a difficult thing to ask low wage employees to leave their biases at the door and to remember that they should be a cheerleader for the entire industry, not just their preferred compan(ies), but it should be required. It just makes good customer service sense. I'm not the kind of customer to loiter and waste an associate's time, but if you want to engage me in a dialog about gaming (because that's what your customer service guidelines request), don't make every conversation into some console wars flame thread. If you can't handle that bit of cordiality, then allow me to shop for my Nintendo merchandise in peace. And this goes for any bias, not just in regards to Nintendo. These stores need to hold their employees to a higher standard (and breadth of interest). It is, after all, one of the funnest jobs you can have as a kid. Show some respect to the honor and the perks that come along with it.

I know what you mean.  I remember multiple occasions of browsing within different Gamestops around 2013 and hearing the employees actively talking customers out of buying Wii U's.

Mandalore76 said:
super_etecoon said:
I don't know. For me to ever care about being a GameStop consumer again they would have to quit hiring anti Nintendo trolls. It doesn't seem likely anytime soon. It's a difficult thing to ask low wage employees to leave their biases at the door and to remember that they should be a cheerleader for the entire industry, not just their preferred compan(ies), but it should be required. It just makes good customer service sense. I'm not the kind of customer to loiter and waste an associate's time, but if you want to engage me in a dialog about gaming (because that's what your customer service guidelines request), don't make every conversation into some console wars flame thread. If you can't handle that bit of cordiality, then allow me to shop for my Nintendo merchandise in peace. And this goes for any bias, not just in regards to Nintendo. These stores need to hold their employees to a higher standard (and breadth of interest). It is, after all, one of the funnest jobs you can have as a kid. Show some respect to the honor and the perks that come along with it.

I know what you mean.  I remember multiple occasions of browsing within different Gamestops around 2013 and hearing the employees actively talking customers out of buying Wii U's.

And that was a good call.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
Mandalore76 said:

And that was a good call.

It was?  By what metric?  Most WiiU owners I know were very happy with their system.  I know I played a ton of games on my WiiU and had a blast,  I just wish I could transfer most of my eshop games to my Switch so I could go back and continue those games.  I'm sure your post was just meant to be snarky, but considering this post is about GameStop employees demeaning products, it exemplifies the behaviors I'm referring to.  Just let people purchase the products they want and let them be happy.  You're not saving someone time or money by discouraging their console purchase, and I could say that for probably all consoles ever made.  Want to buy a Dreamcast?  Go for it, there's plenty of great content to be had and still some of the best football games to date.  Madden wishes it could have half the heart of NFL2K.

Just need them to stay open long enough to sell my PS4 pro in exchange for a PS5. I've only been to Gamestop once in the last 5 years, and that was to trade in my PS4 for the Pro. Even if I don't shop there often, I see the merit in them and like blockbuster before them it will be sad to see them go.

It's already dead and gone here, the last store closed a few weeks ago. My experience with them has been shoddy at best; crazy prices, insane pre-owned "deals", bogus "insurance" or guarantees, and staff with little to no knowledge. There aren't really all that many dedicated game retailers left today, but there's one in the same mall nearby that has better stock and much better prices. I think that was the nail in the coffin, along with digital taking a larger chunk this gen.

The push for digital and online retailers have badly local retail stores. Nowadays, either a store deals with a multitude of entertainment products at once, or it's going to slowly fade away.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Gamestop definitely will have to downsize quite a bit.  They don't necessarily have to die off, but they might anyway mostly because their leadership has been pretty bad.  Even going back to Generation 7, they emphasized XBox and Playstation games over Nintendo games.  I'm sure this is because those types of games tended to get traded in more often and Gamestop had higher profit margins on used games.  It was a profitable decision at the time, but it was also short sighted.  Now XBox and Playstation are trying to abandon physical games as fast as possible while Nintendo is still committed to physical media.  On top of all of this, Gamestop has gotten a bad name with a lot of people.

They need a huge turnaround in leadership, with the understanding that they are still going to downsize even in a best case scenario.  If I were them I'd make one more big (and hopefully final) round of downsizing where they keep their most profitable areas and focus on a Nintendo oriented business model.  After downsizing, I'd throw a bunch of money at Reggie and ask him to be CEO for a while.  People like Reggie.  He would help restore their reputation, and he would definitely help them make strong connections with Nintendo of America.  Nintendo is sticking with physical media, so they need to pivot hard toward partnering with Nintendo and away from Sony and Microsoft.  Gamestop needs new leadership and they have a very capable leader sitting on their board, even though he is technically retired.