By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware September 5 to 12

Eagle367 said:
Next week is gonna explode. It's gonna be insane numbers

It all depends on how many consoles Nintendo is able to ship. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:
The scary part is, with presumably more supply, presumably new revisions, and games like Monster Hunter Rise and possibly BOTW2, could 2021 actually be even higher for Switch?

One part of that question is how high 2020 will end up being. The lower it is, the easier it will be to beat, obviously.

But in any case, it's assured that Switch sales will remain strong because the software pipeline is healthy. If 2021 finishes at "only" 22-25m, that will be good enough. 2020 had COVID lockdowns which is something outside of Nintendo's control that boosted Switch sales. That's what really makes it challenging for 2021 to top 2020, because it's very probable that in 2021 Switch will have to sell entirely on its merits.

True, but on the other hand they'll be more prepared for demand so folks who missed out on getting a Switch in 2020 but wanted one could get one in 2021. Those who settled for a Lite cos it was all they could find might also upgrade to a base or the rumored Pro model in 2021.

That said, yeah, 22-25 million would still be a fantastic result for a system in its 5th calendar year.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 September 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

PAOerfulone said:
curl-6 said:
The scary part is, with presumably more supply, presumably new revisions, and games like Monster Hunter Rise and possibly BOTW2, could 2021 actually be even higher for Switch?

If it is. We'll need to start having serious discussions about the Switch becoming the best selling video game system of all time.

Start? I already posted a yearly breakdown in the Gap Charts thread and arrived at just over 160m lifetime with a Switch successor launch in late 2024. It's now pretty much set that Nintendo's top development teams (Zelda team and Tokyo studio) are occupied until 2021 to get out their respective second Switch game, so timing the launch of a Switch successor to anything before late 2024 would result in the problem of too harsh time constraints for Nintendo's most important developers. And there is of course Nintendo's continued insistence to give Switch a longer lifecycle than their previous consoles which is in line with the increasing game development times.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

NSW vs. NDS 07-09 & Wii 08-09 through 37 Weeks (VGC Data)

Obviously, adjustments for Jul-Sep could still be coming once we get Eur/ROTW data from Nintendo on 11/5/20.

As a reminder, at the investors meeting this week nintendo maintained their 19 million hardware guidance numbers for the fiscal year.

Around the Network
Dyotropic said:
As a reminder, at the investors meeting this week nintendo maintained their 19 million hardware guidance numbers for the fiscal year.

for japan alone?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Dyotropic said:

That will be surpassed by the 2nd week of November, maybe even sooner!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Sales Comparison Charts Through September 12

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2017 – (Week ending January 7 to September 16)

2018 – (Week ending January 6 to September 15)

2019 – (Week ending January 5 to September 14)

2020 – (Week ending January 4 to September 12)

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

"Year to date" sales for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2020 versus 2019 and 2020 versus 2018 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Up Year-on-Year 102,772 (5.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 7,0398,457 (90.2%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 746,325 (-69.0%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 1,021,309 (-12.4%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Nintendo Switch is ballin' straight up with 5 grand Hennesy!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Sales Comparison Charts Through September 12

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Switch is already at 15.6m.  It was just last week that they'd past the 15m mark.  If Nintendo ships enough, then they could actually hit 17m in two more weeks (and they have a decent chance at doing this).  That would put them at 17m for the year going into the holiday quarter.  

Most systems would be doing good to hit 17m by the end of the holiday quarter, but Switch might get there before the holiday quarter starts.