By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles will die (aside those from Nintendo), subscription services will not

Hey Kirby, how's Stadia doing?

Around the Network

Yeah, I don't think so.

Yup. You're totally right.
Consoles that sell at a loss are doo... wait.

Doesn't that mean that at some point in the future consoles can be as powerful as they need to be while not selling at a loss even at a $300 price point? You know, with tech advancements and all that.

I look forward to one day downloading the PlayStation app and Xbox app on my Nintendo Switch 4 and playing everything I want to from any developer. 2036 is going to be a legendary year!

Shaunodon said:

You're like 2 generations behind on the 'phones and tablets will replace console gaming' fad. That ship has sailed.

The economics of the App Store and Google Play alone will always hold mobile gaming back. That well has been hopelessly poisoned. Much more profitable to make cheaply produced pay-to-win gashapon crap with CalArts graphics on mobile platforms. The only way that will ever change is if Apple or Google set a floor of at least 5 dollars on app prices, and they aren't going to do that because they make more money hustling cheap F2P/P2W gashapon crap.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Hey Kirby, how's Stadia doing?

I like to quote a part of my favourite sentence in gaming for that : too soon executus

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I partially agree with this topic. The thing that will suck is that either

A) All major gaming companies try to create their own subscription service meaning having to pay tons of monthly fees to play the games you want plus leading most of the companies to fail which leads to point B
B) MS, Google, Apple buy all the game developers potentially killing Sony gaming division, Steam, Epic and Ubisoft stores and potentially traditional gaming
C) MS, Google, and Apple plus Steam, Sony and Epic (Ubisoft fails in this scenario) succeed at creating solid subscription services leading to basically problem A which means having to pay a crap ton of monthly subscriptions to be able to play that one must play game

I do think subscription gaming is the next evolution of gaming but man it looks gloomy cuz I think its easier to buy 2 consoles to play all the games people want rather than having multiple subscription services. After all, you can always grab your 2nd console late in its lifetime and through a bargain same as the games. But subscriptions only go in price, they never go down.

I should also mention Nintendo is the one and only that will survive it all and require you to buy its hardware to get into either traditional purchase games or its subscription service.

nintendo is the rock of stability.

whatever happens you can expect them to survive and do the same thing they always done- make games

Dreamcast is forever

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Everything will die my friend. And with the way humans are going, we might not even survive the century due to the climate crisis, at least most of us. Imagine a hard reset and somehow the only ones living are the people on Vgchartz and we somehow end up together as well. It would be pretty interesting to meet tbone and splurgeon

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also