By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5 All-Digital, does Xbox have a legitimate chance of outselling PS5 this gen?

If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5, could Xbox Outsell PS5?

Yes, Xbox is the favorite to win 9 5.77%

Yes, it's possible 36 23.08%

Unlikely 60 38.46%

No chance 51 32.69%

Total:156

Whats hilarious is that I'm extremely tempted by the all access $35 amonth deal of Series X... But there are simply no exclusives I want scheduled outside of Halo so theres no point. I literally want to give MS my money but they have almost no games that I can't play on PS5. I think what this entry point means is that more Playstation gamers like myself will consider an Xbox as secondary console maybe once Fable etc start looking tangible.

So no, they are still trailing behind in the most important area. Maybe they can be neck and neck in the US

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
I'd say it still has no chance to beat PS5, but I certainly think it will help a little bit. Though I expect for most people who want a cheaper system they'd rather go Switch than a low powered next gen xbox. If Nintendo didn't exist I think it'd make a much bigger dent as the cheapest current system available. But yeah it'll probably prop up XSeries sales by 5 or 10 million, but when the gap is many tens of millions between Xbox and Playstation that doesn't do much to close the gap.

Why do people talk like the price is all that matters?

First and foremost, what matters are the games. Then the next thing is the price and then features. 

Things like power, controllers, services...etc all fall into the features category. The least relevant of all the categories. But the most important category is games. 

Why do I ay this? If you want to play Cyberpunk, COD, the Net GTA...etc, then the Switch isn't even ever going to be an option to you. It won't even be in the conversation of your platform choice. And this applies to all platforms. If I want to play Gears, then the only options available to me are an Xbox or a PC. The Playstation will not even be in the conversation.

Very few people (if any at all) go into a store with the primary goal being o walk out with the "cheapest" gaming platform they can buy. I mean, is not like all you have to do is just get whatever is the cheapest and that will allow you to play EVERYTHING. Even the "casuals" as we call them, don't eve do that. Those people usually buy hat is trending, most popular, what they see at their neighbours house or whatever, or what they have been told to get by someone else.

I agree with most people here. Xbox simply doesn't have anywhere near as a presence as Sony does outside the U.S and Western Europe. For Xbox to have a good chance to win, Xbox SS/X needs to get a huge lead over the PS5 in North America like they did with the 360. While I could see Xbox potentially winning in NA over the PS5 in sales with a lower price point, I find it difficult to believe Xbox could once again regain a huge lead over Playstation in NA like they did with the 360/PS3 generation. Many people in NA went for the 360 at the time because it seemed like the superior system when it came to price, online, and multi-plats looking better especially during the beginning of the gen, plus that was when Microsoft actually had major console exclusives like Halo 3. The Xbox Series SX probably won't offer much that makes it the vastly superior system over PS5 for Microsoft to have a huge lead in NA and Sony won't have a terrible launch like the PS3. Maybe the price will help Microsoft potentially win in NA but Microsoft needs a HUGE lead in NA to win against PS5, which i find unlikely.

Intrinsic said:
Slownenberg said:
I'd say it still has no chance to beat PS5, but I certainly think it will help a little bit. Though I expect for most people who want a cheaper system they'd rather go Switch than a low powered next gen xbox. If Nintendo didn't exist I think it'd make a much bigger dent as the cheapest current system available. But yeah it'll probably prop up XSeries sales by 5 or 10 million, but when the gap is many tens of millions between Xbox and Playstation that doesn't do much to close the gap.

First and foremost, what matters are the games. Then the next thing is the price and then features. 

Things like power, controllers, services...etc all fall into the features category. The least relevant of all the categories. But the most important category is games. 

Why do I ay this? If you want to play Cyberpunk, COD, the Net GTA...etc, then the Switch isn't even ever going to be an option to you. It won't even be in the conversation of your platform choice. And this applies to all platforms. If I want to play Gears, then the only options available to me are an Xbox or a PC. The Playstation will not even be in the conversation.

Very few people (if any at all) go into a store with the primary goal being o walk out with the "cheapest" gaming platform they can buy. I mean, is not like all you have to do is just get whatever is the cheapest and that will allow you to play EVERYTHING. Even the "casuals" as we call them, don't eve do that. Those people usually buy hat is trending, most popular, what they see at their neighbours house or whatever, or what they have been told to get by someone else.

Yep, price only gives a major advantage if all else is equal or the price difference is so massive that it cancels out the other aspects.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PS5 Digital at $400 is better value than xbox series s at $300, and i hope people realize that

Around the Network

Xbox has no chance to outsell globally. The gap will narrow sure, North America will likely be Xbox territory again, and as I live there that’s more important to me then continents I don’t live in. But Europe and Asia made up their minds.

I’ve said it before I think MS knows this and is banking on PC users playing their games, plus Xcloud and Game Pass making the Xbox brand more successful despite selling less consoles.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

melbye said:
PS5 Digital at $400 is better value than xbox series s at $300, and i hope people realize that

Include Game Pass and you take away any form of “value” with the competition. With Xcloud and EA play now included, Game Pass is even better

Pretty sure at this point if you go the PS route you are pretty much guaranteed to spend hundreds more per year then someone using Game Pass. That’s not value, Sony is banking on people spending money upfront on their exclusives. They don’t do day 1 PS Now 1st party precisely because they don’t want value when their fans happily pay more. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 09 September 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

Yep, price only gives a major advantage if all else is equal or the price difference is so massive that it cancels out the other aspects.

Price, power and even games when looked alone won't ensure good sales.

It is always about balance.

If your system is powerful, cheap and have plenty games (with a good number of exclusives) it most probably will do well, if one of these are missing it may be overlooked it isn't dreadfull.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think Xbox can probably win N. America at these prices but globally it will obviously still be PS.

zorg1000 said:

Exactly. Someone gets it too lol.

Mar1217 said:
The problem is that no matter how Xbox prices their consoles and services, they still have not much reach on the international market as Sony or Nintendo does. Can they compete in the NA market ? Absolutely. Rest of the world would make this debate completely moot.

True, I think people all forget that with the PS3, not only was the cheapest Xbox $200 less than the cheapest PS3, and the best Xbox $200 less than the best PS3. The Xbox also was available for a whole year before the PS3 released. And that's before all those other things like being easier to develop for which meat that it quickly built the reputation of games running better on it and it having a miles better and more established online service came into play.

For an Xbox to compete on a level footing with a Playstation, a LOT has to go in that Xbox's favor. And a $100 price difference is not one of them.

What I find sad, or puzzling (and I find it puzzling because if I can figure it out then I would expect that there are literally teams of people at MS on a paycheck who should know it too); is that the one area that MS really should be focusing on, the one area that they had all of the current-gen to bolster and build up, is the one area they have somehow managed to drop the ball in. And that's the one area that gives them anything close to a fighting chance. And its the games. And the stuff MS has done to me is just stupid.

Like how could they allow Halo 5 miss its launch date along with the console? There have been 4 years between halo 5 and a 2020 infinite!!! Why even release gears 5 at all to a dead platform in 2019 when they could have just made that also a launch title with the XSX. Why didn't they acquire studios earlier like back in 2015 and task them to push for having games available in 2020/2021 instead of in 2019 when they did. 

And oh, the best one yet... why spend $2.5B buying Minecraft when you could spend that kinda money buy GTA6 exclusivity and you right there and then buy an entire console generation. Even the mere announcement of a deal like that wins them the generation. Getting GTA6 as an exclusive, on gamepass, wins them the generation. No amount of revenue acquired from having Minecraft will give them the same effect. Even if it's just for 2 years.