By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5 All-Digital, does Xbox have a legitimate chance of outselling PS5 this gen?

If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5, could Xbox Outsell PS5?

Yes, Xbox is the favorite to win 9 5.77%

Yes, it's possible 36 23.08%

Unlikely 60 38.46%

No chance 51 32.69%

Total:156
sales2099 said:
melbye said:
PS5 Digital at $400 is better value than xbox series s at $300, and i hope people realize that

Include Game Pass and you take away any form of “value” with the competition. With Xcloud and EA play now included, Game Pass is even better

Pretty sure at this point if you go the PS route you are pretty much guaranteed to spend hundreds more per year then someone using Game Pass. That’s not value, Sony is banking on people spending money upfront on their exclusives. They don’t do day 1 PS Now 1st party precisely because they don’t want value when their fans happily pay more. 

Like geoff said. Basic cable of games. Having acces to over 100 games does not mean they will be good games or games I havent played before or even games I want to play. There's no arguing that there will be high quality games on PS and by their history, gamers buy up front cuz they know it's good. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Include Game Pass and you take away any form of “value” with the competition. With Xcloud and EA play now included, Game Pass is even better

Pretty sure at this point if you go the PS route you are pretty much guaranteed to spend hundreds more per year then someone using Game Pass. That’s not value, Sony is banking on people spending money upfront on their exclusives. They don’t do day 1 PS Now 1st party precisely because they don’t want value when their fans happily pay more. 

Like geoff said. Basic cable of games. Having acces to over 100 games does not mean they will be good games or games I havent played before or even games I want to play. There's no arguing that there will be high quality games on PS and by their history, gamers buy up front cuz they know it's good. 

That doesn’t hold. Not anymore anyway with the EA merger. It’s more like Netflix. 1st party day 1 access. Not just the little games this year like Battletoads or Wasteland 3 but eventually games like Halo, Fable, Forza and Avowed. 
Weird they stick to 100 in advertising, it’s been over 200 for a while now. 

Like I said, Sony doesn’t care for value, because their fans will pay through the nose to play their games, and they will thank them for it. Hey, you guys do you. I’m not denying PS exclusives are good, but again we talking value, not quality. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Doesn't change things at all. Maybe there will be a few more early adopters, but even that I question. Not when you can pay an extra $100 (most likely) and get a 2.5x more powerful PS5 DE, with a bigger, much faster SSD and added controller immersion. Plus, it has so many games coming out that you can only play on the PS5. MS seems to only have 3rd party games to sell their console at launch. Ones that can be played on pretty much any system.

Really GamePass seems to be what they're pushing most. And with 1st party games and streaming coming to XBO, as well, seems their are few reasons to upgrade at launch.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

That doesn’t hold. Not anymore anyway with the EA merger. It’s more like Netflix. 1st party day 1 access. Not just the little games this year like Battletoads or Wasteland 3 but eventually games like Halo, Fable, Forza and Avowed. 

Like I said, Sony doesn’t care for value, because their fans will pay through the nose to play their games, and they will thank them for it. Hey, you guys do you. I’m not denying PS exclusives are good, but again we talking value, not quality. 

You keep saying value, but value is not the same for everyone. Like I said before, if you throw  a bunch of games I dont want to play at me or games I already played for the same price as 1 game that I want to play and its new, i will see more value in that one game.

Consider an all you can eat seafood buffet for $10. Sounds good but if im alergic or just dont like seafood, its just not good value to me. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

It certainly cannot hurt Microsoft, but I think their credibility is still sort of shot. Or at the very least most consumers will look to Nintendo and Sony first anyway because they just do it better.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

You keep saying value, but value is not the same for everyone. Like I said before, if you throw  a bunch of games I dont want to play at me or games I already played for the same price as 1 game that I want to play and its new, i will see more value in that one game.

Consider an all you can eat seafood buffet for $10. Sounds good but if im alergic or just dont like seafood, its just not good value to me. 

I suggest you actually look up what’s actually on GamePass, and by extension EA Play. Your argument is silly. You pay less for much more. Indies to AAA. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

I suggest you actually look up what’s actually on GamePass, and by extension EA Play. Your argument is silly. You pay less for much more. Indies to AAA. 

2 things.

first you mistake me saying that no everyone finds value in gamepass to you interprreting me saying gamepass has no value. Wich is the main mistakess fans make. to belive that if im not 100% for something it means that I must hate it. Im trying to tell you that this will not entise 100% of the gaming market. 

second is that your only criteria for value is only quantity. A lot would say that more of a bad thing is not good value. 

Now i have been very specific in saying that the big games available on gamepass are either MS games that come day one with it, or if they are big third party games they come way later into the service. Now that for me dosent work. because I ike single player story driven games so im gona play I game i think im gona like on day one, or otherwise I will get spoiled. So if a big game comes to gamepass that is third party, by the time it gets there i would most likely play it by then. There could be others like me that are more cash strapted and will only pay for gamepass, but what if thouse games never come?

Now for MS games, so far none of them have apealed to me. That could definety change in the future, but so far there is no value in gamepass for me yet and Im betting im not the only one that thinks like that. Theres still value in gamepass for many, just not everyone. 

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Guess you are confusing price with value... PS games have plenty value and quality, but if you compare to GP sure it would seem costlier or higher price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Thing is, Microsoft just needs people to get Gamepass and they win big. Probably make a hell of a lot more profit than Sony. And if they can get Xcloud to kick off, then that plus Gamepass essentially means they don't give shitall how much ps5 sells more than Xsex plus Xses. Those will just be like a gift for their hardcore fans at that point. The real money is in the services. And I do think this gen, Microsoft can sell better than xbone so that's still something. The sales battle is between PlayStation 5 and switch now. I think the switch will sell more than PS4 in the end, especially with how quickly they are ending the stock of the PS4 for some reason so it might not even have the legs of a PS console this time. Question becomes can ps5 sell more than 100mil and can it sell more than PS4 and switch.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Kristof81 said:
$25 per month financing with the game pass ultimate, could turn up to be a bigger deal than $100 cheaper system.

Especially so during the global pandemic where things are so uncertain and a lot of us are all stuck at home most/all day.

Realistically though, MS has no chance of beating PS this generation outside of UK/US and perhaps some smaller markets.

They will be a lot more competitive though. Would be shocked if they sold under 70 million this generation.