By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5 All-Digital, does Xbox have a legitimate chance of outselling PS5 this gen?

If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5, could Xbox Outsell PS5?

Yes, Xbox is the favorite to win 9 5.77%

Yes, it's possible 36 23.08%

Unlikely 60 38.46%

No chance 51 32.69%

Total:156

I do think xbox series consoles will beat PS5 in North America, South America, and UK. However, other regions are going to PS5.

Around the Network

All-digital consoles are not very popular in many markets yet, the majority of potential consumers worldwide still have very poor internet speeds (or at least semi-poor) and prefer physical copies. Digital is slowly taking over, but the current numbers we've seen with Corona and various limitations and restrictions are not representative of the overall market under normal circumstances (I mean, hell, look at the crazy hardware and software numbers for Q2 this year, breaking records). The digital-only Xbox One sold very poorly and was discontinued after only a short time on the market. Even if digital console gaming revenue has crept up towards and beyond physical, this is likely due to microtransactions, DLC and other add-on software. The fact that there is practically no market yet for an all-digital console says a lot about consumers in the console gaming segment overall. Gaming revenue is only a part of the story, the most profitable games are usually free-to-play and that speaks volumes of what the market has become. Downloading a smaller DLC or cosmetic add-on or shortcut pack for competitive games is also a lot easier than entire games if your connection sucks.

Perhaps a digital-only console from MS and Sony will do really well, I can't really say I know for sure, but recent trends would suggest that physical media will continue to be an important factor for many customers, especially in developing markets where internet speeds are really poor. These are also the markets where Sony has traditionally head-and-shoulders above both Nintendo and Microsoft, they just can't seem to gain much traction here, not even with decently priced hardware.

TL;DR: No, a cheaper all-digital Xbox won't decide the console generation one way or the other.

Snoopy said:
I do think xbox series consoles will beat PS5 in North America, South America, and UK. However, other regions are going to PS5.

PS4 NA: 37.2 million

XBO NA: 31.39 million

And with Xbox on a downward trajectory and doing so bad it can't even have Halo at Launch...what in the world makes you think that'll happen?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The machine is only 4 Tflops and can only power 1440p. It's going to hold the generation back if anything. PS5 discless machine (if it is more expensive) is only 100 dollars less for a fully powered next gen machine? If anyone's done some research, its easy to know which console to buy. 

Runa216 said:
Snoopy said:

PS4 NA: 37.2 million

XBO NA: 31.39 million

And with Xbox on a downward trajectory and doing so bad it can't even have Halo at Launch...what in the world makes you think that'll happen?

Price > anything else. Most gamers typically just want to play COD, GTA, Fifa, Madden, Fortnite, ect at the cheapest price possible.

Around the Network
Drakrami said:

The machine is only 4 Tflops and can only power 1440p. It's going to hold the generation back if anything. PS5 discless machine (if it is more expensive) is only 100 dollars less for a fully powered next gen machine? If anyone's done some research, its easy to know which console to buy. 

As long as it has the same CPU, RAM quantity and sped that is proportionate to what kinda resolution its aiming to push and also has an SSD... then it will not be holding anything back. And it has all those things.

The XSS would be no different from running a game on similarly specced PC with the only difference being the GPU. Think of the XSX as a 4K@60console, and the XSS as a 1080p-1440p@30-60fps console. The funny thing is, average joe will not be able to tell the difference and will think they are getting "4K" from the XSS anyways.

Well, the size difference would at least make them wonder though. Surely they would think that smaller = less powerful.

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

That doesn’t hold. Not anymore anyway with the EA merger. It’s more like Netflix. 1st party day 1 access. Not just the little games this year like Battletoads or Wasteland 3 but eventually games like Halo, Fable, Forza and Avowed. 
Weird they stick to 100 in advertising, it’s been over 200 for a while now. 

Like I said, Sony doesn’t care for value, because their fans will pay through the nose to play their games, and they will thank them for it. Hey, you guys do you. I’m not denying PS exclusives are good, but again we talking value, not quality. 

Guess you are confusing price with value... PS games have plenty value and quality, but if you compare to GP sure it would seem costlier or higher price.

Quite simply I view value as “bang for buck”. You could pay $180 for 3 PS exclusives, or you can pay $180 for access to over 200 games in a year and clear as many as you can depending on your free time.

Latest example is Wasteland 3, or Outer Worlds. On PS4 you have to pay full price day 1 to play. I played them day 1 for a flat monthly fee but my gaming wasn’t limited to those either at the time. That’s value. 

The value aspect is on Xbox’s side no question. Personal preference is secondary to what is a black and white comparison. Which console gives more for less money? The answer should be obvious. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

I suggest you actually look up what’s actually on GamePass, and by extension EA Play. Your argument is silly. You pay less for much more. Indies to AAA. 

2 things.

first you mistake me saying that no everyone finds value in gamepass to you interprreting me saying gamepass has no value. Wich is the main mistakess fans make. to belive that if im not 100% for something it means that I must hate it. Im trying to tell you that this will not entise 100% of the gaming market. 

second is that your only criteria for value is only quantity. A lot would say that more of a bad thing is not good value. 

Now i have been very specific in saying that the big games available on gamepass are either MS games that come day one with it, or if they are big third party games they come way later into the service. Now that for me dosent work. because I ike single player story driven games so im gona play I game i think im gona like on day one, or otherwise I will get spoiled. So if a big game comes to gamepass that is third party, by the time it gets there i would most likely play it by then. There could be others like me that are more cash strapted and will only pay for gamepass, but what if thouse games never come?

Now for MS games, so far none of them have apealed to me. That could definety change in the future, but so far there is no value in gamepass for me yet and Im betting im not the only one that thinks like that. Theres still value in gamepass for many, just not everyone. 

Value in GP is quantity and quality. Don’t see why it can’t be both. Plenty great games on the service. Of course nothing has a 100% market penetration rate, and everybody is entitled to their tastes in genres and don’t want to wait for big games to enter the service. That said, you have to put your personal preferences aside and look at this from a broad picture.

I may be bias as hell, but it’s a no brainer to say you pay less and get more with Xbox via Game Pass, especially coupled with Xcloud, EA Play and day 1 1st party. More often then not the average gamer is more likely to find something they like among all of that then find nothing appealing at all. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Intrinsic said:
Drakrami said:

As long as it has the same CPU, RAM quantity and sped that is proportionate to what kinda resolution its aiming to push and also has an SSD... then it will not be holding anything back. And it has all those things.

The XSS would be no different from running a game on similarly specced PC with the only difference being the GPU. Think of the XSX as a 4K@60console, and the XSS as a 1080p-1440p@30-60fps console. The funny thing is, average joe will not be able to tell the difference and will think they are getting "4K" from the XSS anyways.

Well, the size difference would at least make them wonder though. Surely they would think that smaller = less powerful.

The average Joe will be looking for 4K, it is a popular enough term now for everyone to know. PS5s and Xbox Series X will have 4K 60 FPS printed on their packaging while Series X will not. And if the difference is only 100USD, then consumers should be smart enough to buy the best value. 

Seriously, Xbox have the most confusing names for their consoles. X, S, 1. Same freaking names as last gen as well. And it isn't even obvious which is the more powerful one, X or S just by looking at the name without doing research. 

In NA/UK, yes, outside those markets- no

Sony dominates Europe, Japan and ROTW although I believe MS could do better in those markets than the Xbox one if it was the case.

(I know switch dominates japan by far, but I was comparing the twins and leaving the big N out)