By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix: No plans for Kingdom Hearts ports on Switch, technologically difficult, but another Nomura game may be ported

padib said:
Raven said:

Just to be clear, we're talking about this series, right?

I would save the commendations.

I don't see any Nintendo home consoles there, do you?

I don't see how that matters? The point I was responding to was this idea that the series is somehow retaining its purity by not "whoring itself out". The series has jumped platforms several times under different hardware makers and console generations. It makes absolutely no sense that all of this has been fine to do over the years, but all of a sudden becomes an issue at the prospect of porting any of the games to the Switch. 

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Vodacixi said:

They can say that the Earth is made out of cheese, but if you are able to put two and two together you will see that they are talking shit. Saying that bringing a bunch of PS2 ports to the Switch is technically challenging makes no sense whatshoever. 

Well i've already agreed with CaptainExplosion that the excuse is BS.  But what's said is said.  Just moving on now.

Well then, you shouldn't have quoted me in the first place if you are gonna change your mind in the same comment you are disagreeing with me.

Vodacixi said:
V-r0cK said:

Well i've already agreed with CaptainExplosion that the excuse is BS.  But what's said is said.  Just moving on now.

Well then, you shouldn't have quoted me in the first place if you are gonna change your mind in the same comment you are disagreeing with me.

You quoted my entire quote. Why quote it all if you didnt read it all?

V-r0cK said:
Vodacixi said:

Because I don't know how to delete specific quotes on mobile xD

Raven said:
Jumpin said:

I get a feeling platform loyalties are a much bigger deal with Japanese companies. It's not like the US where the money is not just the primary motivator, but the only motivator. While it may annoy some fans, I think it's commendable that some companies aren't universally into whoring out their products.

Just to be clear, we're talking about this series, right?

I would save the commendations.

Haha, touché!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
V-r0cK said:

Because I don't know how to delete specific quotes on mobile xD

LOL xD

Maybe in old titles they used too many old HW and platform-specific functions and code tricks that don't get along well with NS HW and libraries and require major rewrites. It's the only possible reason I can imagine for ports of old titles being more difficult (or to say it better, with a worse additional profit/dev effort ratio) than writing a new game.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

RolStoppable said:

The PS3 required effort to get code to run, so what Square is saying is that the PS3 was worth the trouble while Switch isn't. But in this case they should be forgiven, because the topic is Kingdom Hearts.

Didn't stop them from porting the same games for Xbox One

IcaroRibeiro said:
RolStoppable said:

The PS3 required effort to get code to run, so what Square is saying is that the PS3 was worth the trouble while Switch isn't. But in this case they should be forgiven, because the topic is Kingdom Hearts.

Didn't stop them from porting the same games for Xbox One

XB1 is similar architecture to PS4, so it is an easier port. Rol forgets to mention that Switch is different architecture than the PS4/XB1, so it is more difficult.

shikamaru317 said:
Drakrami said:

What sounds more insane? 

A. A company who wants to move on and creating newer and better games instead of porting 5-10 year old games for Switch

B. Disgruntled vgc poster who is ranting why Square isn't porting old games to Switch when he can easily play the best version by buying a PS4Pro. 

I've already played 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 3, and I personally have no intention of buying them on Switch even if they were to release them.

I'm saying that their reasoning sounds bogus. If they don't want to take the time to port it to Switch so that they can concentrate on new games instead, just come out and say that, don't lie about technological issues, as that insults the intelligence of Switch owners, who have even seen games as demanding as Witcher 3 running on Switch. While 0.2 (part of 2.8) and 3 would definitely have problems running on Switch without significant downgrade work since they were built from the ground up for PS4 and XB1, 1.5 and 2.5 were PS3 games that would have no problems at all running on a system with Switch's specs with the same settings as the PS3 versions.

Honestly, sounds more like Square just wants to move on and is just responding to the myraid of Nintendo port requests with a PR-type respond. So their reasoning is not really that important. If they wanted to port, obviously anything can be ported if they tried hard enough. Like downgrading textures or whatnot.