By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix: No plans for Kingdom Hearts ports on Switch, technologically difficult, but another Nomura game may be ported

GamingRabbit said:

Silly excuse for anything prior to KH3/2.8.
With K3 however, I think I know what they might mean.
KH3 is doable, but also runs on UE4 which in general doesnt run particularly well on switch.
They might have realized that porting KH3 to Switch would mean downgrading the game below a level of quality would still be fine with.
So.. they simply dont want to butcher their game, just to have it run on switch.

The heck about Unreal Engine 4? Plenty of unreal games are on Switch, heck Nintendo's even had at least one Unreal game made (Yoshi). The heck is this idea coming from or are we just trying to excuse Square. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
Drakrami said:

What sounds more insane? 

A. A company who wants to move on and creating newer and better games instead of porting 5-10 year old games for Switch

But... they are still porting their older games for Xbox and PS4 (games that were already PS3 remasters/collections from PS2 games)

shikamaru317 said:
This sounds insane to me. I could see problems downgrading 2.8 and 3 to run on Switch, but you're telling me that 1.5 and 2.5 can't run on Switch when they were PS3 games? Melody of Memory has reused assets from 1.5 and 2.5 and it is coming to Switch. What a BS answer from Square.

Wonder what the other Nomura game he said might come to Switch is? No way FF7 Remake is running on Switch if they can't even get KH 1.5 and 2.5 to run on it. The Worlds Ends With You is already on Switch. Maybe I'm crazy but as far as I know, the only games that Nomura has directed are KH games and FF7 Remake. Unless they were referring to a game he was a producer on, rather than the director, which opens up many more possibilities, like Dissidia.

Dissidia would be in line with what we've come to expect from the series (it started in portable devices) 

Vodacixi said:
Square Enix doesn't like easy money apparently...

Well its not easy if they said they found it difficult now is it?

Dulfite said:
I will never understand the logic in not putting artful, Disney characters on the biggest platform that kids play. Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo makes far more sense than any other platform as it has the largest market of kids playing, yet it's the one that doesn't get it. I don't know how these people don't realize how much money they are missing out on. It's beyond unfathomable.

I will never understand the full story of Kingdom Hearts and but you think kids will still like this?  I've let my little nephew and niece tried KH before and I say the kids that haven't played KH have dodged a bullet. (my nephew and niece didn't get very far at all and then lost interest in it quickly)

IcaroRibeiro said:
It's not cool when your favorite publisher and your favorite console don't match :(

Guess it hasn't been cool for you since 1994 with Final Fantasy VI?

CaptainExplosion said:
I don't even like Kingdom Hearts, but I'm gonna say this is just a bullshit excuse.

Agreed. But there must be some reason they'll never reveal to us.

Leynos said:
Nomura gave the same excuse I think on Wii U why PS2 ports are too hard for it. Uh-huh sure. I don't like KH at all but I despise Nomura even more. He sucks at everything. SE be better without him. He's a one trick pony and his trick sucks.

But if you look at his portfolio Square is practically putting him on way more project than he can handle.  I don't think it's fair for him and Square isn't better off without him cause he's practically the guy that's doing all the work for them.  He's that guy at the workplace that is awesome at everything so they give him everything while there are many other employees in the company that does nothing, we all know that feeling. 

vivster said:
Damn, must really suck to see games you really like to play not coming to your platform of choice. Couldn't imagine the pain Nintendo fans are feeling.

lol you'd think they'd be use to it by now.  

KLXVER said:
Well thats good to know at least. Now we dont need to think about that anymore.

Agreed. Let's move on.

twintail said:
They did the math and decided to put the money elsewhere.

Probably. They may have realized that the money spent on this port would require X amount of sales they may not reach.

They don't have the brand power where they can just release an incomplete collection with putting little effort into porting and still sell more than most devs wish they can sell. They're not Nintendo with their Super Mario 3D Allstars lol.

V-r0cK said:

I

IcaroRibeiro said:
It's not cool when your favorite publisher and your favorite console don't match :(

I had PS1 and PS2 and would got a PS3 if I had money for it but this shit was selling for over 1,5K USD here 

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
twintail said:

Probably. They may have realized that the money spent on this port would require X amount of sales they may not reach.

Or they did the math and realized that other projects are simply more profitable for them.

A little example:

Spoiler!
Money for devs to keep on average (phys+digital): 60%
Switch PS+XB+PC
Time to make the game (years) 1 5
Units sold          1.500.000,00          10.000.000,00  
Price (base)                        60,00   50%                        60,00   60%
                       40,00   35%                        40,00   25%
                       30,00   15%                        30,00   15%
Price (avg)                        48,50                          50,50  
Turnover per game (devs)                        29,10                          30,30  
Turnover       43.650.000,00       303.000.000,00  
Cost (dev+prod)       18.000.000,00       120.000.000,00  
Profit       25.650.000,00       183.000.000,00  
Profit per year       25.650.000,00          36.600.000,00  

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

IcaroRibeiro said:
V-r0cK said:

I had PS1 and PS2 and would got a PS3 if I had money for it but this shit was selling for over 1,5K USD here 

Ouuff! Yaa that's expensive T_T

GamingRabbit said:
V-r0cK said:

Or they did the math and realized that other projects are simply more profitable for them.

A little example:

Spoiler!
Money for devs to keep on average (phys+digital): 60%
Switch PS+XB+PC
Time to make the game (years) 1 5
Units sold          1.500.000,00          10.000.000,00  
Price (base)                        60,00   50%                        60,00   60%
                       40,00   35%                        40,00   25%
                       30,00   15%                        30,00   15%
Price (avg)                        48,50                          50,50  
Turnover per game (devs)                        29,10                          30,30  
Turnover       43.650.000,00       303.000.000,00  
Cost (dev+prod)       18.000.000,00       120.000.000,00  
Profit       25.650.000,00       183.000.000,00  
Profit per year       25.650.000,00          36.600.000,00  

Source please? 

Otherwise that is just nonsensical data that the Giant Corp shills on this site made up to argue on their behalf. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

V-r0cK said:
Vodacixi said:
Square Enix doesn't like easy money apparently...

Well its not easy if they said they found it difficult now is it?

Dulfite said:
I will never understand the logic in not putting artful, Disney characters on the biggest platform that kids play. Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo makes far more sense than any other platform as it has the largest market of kids playing, yet it's the one that doesn't get it. I don't know how these people don't realize how much money they are missing out on. It's beyond unfathomable.

I will never understand the full story of Kingdom Hearts and but you think kids will still like this?  I've let my little nephew and niece tried KH before and I say the kids that haven't played KH have dodged a bullet. (my nephew and niece didn't get very far at all and then lost interest in it quickly)

IcaroRibeiro said:

CaptainExplosion said:
I don't even like Kingdom Hearts, but I'm gonna say this is just a bullshit excuse.

Agreed. But there must be some reason they'll never reveal to us.

Leynos said:
Nomura gave the same excuse I think on Wii U why PS2 ports are too hard for it. Uh-huh sure. I don't like KH at all but I despise Nomura even more. He sucks at everything. SE be better without him. He's a one trick pony and his trick sucks.

But if you look at his portfolio Square is practically putting him on way more project than he can handle.  I don't think it's fair for him and Square isn't better off without him cause he's practically the guy that's doing all the work for them.  He's that guy at the workplace that is awesome at everything so they give him everything while there are many other employees in the company that does nothing, we all know that feeling. 

vivster said:
Damn, must really suck to see games you really like to play not coming to your platform of choice. Couldn't imagine the pain Nintendo fans are feeling.

lol you'd think they'd be use to it by now.  

KLXVER said:
Well thats good to know at least. Now we dont need to think about that anymore.

Agreed. Let's move on.

twintail said:

They don't have the brand power where they can just release an incomplete collection with putting little effort into porting and still sell more than most devs wish they can sell. They're not Nintendo with their Super Mario 3D Allstars lol.

They can say that the Earth is made out of cheese, but if you are able to put two and two together you will see that they are talking shit. Saying that bringing a bunch of PS2 ports to the Switch is technically challenging makes no sense whatshoever. 

Vodacixi said:

They can say that the Earth is made out of cheese, but if you are able to put two and two together you will see that they are talking shit. Saying that bringing a bunch of PS2 ports to the Switch is technically challenging makes no sense whatshoever. 

Well i've already agreed with CaptainExplosion that the excuse is BS.  But what's said is said.  Just moving on now.