By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix: No plans for Kingdom Hearts ports on Switch, technologically difficult, but another Nomura game may be ported

Doom and Witcher devs confirmed more skilled.

Around the Network

The quote can be inferred as they tried bringing KH3 to the Switch but found that too difficult. The older KH games they may not be porting simply because they don't think it's worthwhile.

Well thats good to know at least. Now we dont need to think about that anymore.

Porting is an expensive process. Even if the Switch version sold 2m, it might not break even...

Farsala said:
Porting is an expensive process. Even if the Switch version sold 2m, it might not break even...

Are they eating gold for lunch while porting it or what?

Around the Network

Ah yes. We have heard of rhis one before.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

KLXVER said:
Farsala said:

I wouldn't put it past SE, just think of how slow they are.

Here is an explanation on difficulties with porting to the Switch from stronger hardware.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/suikoden_successor_eiyuden_chronicle_could_be_our_first_confirmed_switch_2_game

Particularly, "when a lower spec platform has been listed on the campaign, it has invariably been too expensive, often times requiring downgrading textures, massive amounts of code rewrites, effectively meaning building two games."

So Nomura must have figured for most of his games building an entire new game on the Switch is not worth it.

Vodacixi said:
It's a shame, because despite being extremely disappointed with KH III and with the direction the saga took from BbS onwards, KH and II are some of my favourite games of all time and I would pay indecent amounts of money for a portable version. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

But hey, it's too hard to port some PS2 games to a machine dozens of times more powerful and three generations more modern. And, even if by some engineering miracle they managed to port them, they wouldn't even sell well. I mean, there's no way they would do better on the Nintendo Switch, with 60+ million consoles and with a tradition with the franchise doing well on previous consoles than... I don't know, Xbox One and their 40 something million consoles and its great sales performance with japanese games.

Yup, not worth it at all. Let it go... let it go...

i'm assuming Microsoft made some sort of deal or paid for the kingdom hearts games to finally come to Xbox, given they also had all the final fantasy games coming to gamepass as well and how phil always mentions taking trips to japan and getting more japanese games 

it's still a dumb decision from square to not put it on the switch too, but yeah that's prob why xbox has it and not switch so far if i were to guess. maybe square would only be willing to do it if nintendo paid as well. i'm sure those "technological issues" would become suddenly much easier if the money was already paid for 

Farsala said:
KLXVER said:

Here is an explanation on difficulties with porting to the Switch from stronger hardware.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/suikoden_successor_eiyuden_chronicle_could_be_our_first_confirmed_switch_2_game

Particularly, "when a lower spec platform has been listed on the campaign, it has invariably been too expensive, often times requiring downgrading textures, massive amounts of code rewrites, effectively meaning building two games."

So Nomura must have figured for most of his games building an entire new game on the Switch is not worth it.

Well I dont think people expected KH3. The 1.5 and 2.5 collections are PS3 games.

Farsala said:
KLXVER said:

I can accept that (with a grain of salt) for Kingdom Hearts 3

1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 in no way suffers this issue