By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario 3D All-Stars monstrous performance on amazon.com and it's already overtaken TLOU2 2020 total sales.

I pre-ordered too but I'm still really disappointed Galaxy 2 wasn't included. That's the game I was most looking forward to.

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

I'm not entirely happy about this collection - the $60 price, the lack of Galaxy 2, lack of extra content (minus a soundtrack), and no widescreen for Mario 64. But hell, what am I going to do - NOT pick up a limited (physical) release of an HD compilation of 3 great Mario platformers? Especially being the huge Mario fan I am? I hate to reward laziness but in this case Nintendo gets a pass. The perks of crafting 3 of the greatest 3D platformers of all-time (well, at least 2 of them, not so sure about Sunshine, but I do look forward to revisiting it after roughly 18 years).

Nintendo knows they've got people by the balls XD, and games like these are just TOO good and too nostalgic for many gamers. Like me - I sit here and complain but I ultimately still am going to pick it up, so what do they care? But again - part of the reason is b/c these games are of SUCH high quality (64 and to a lesser extent Galaxy at least). This is NOT something I would often do. For instance, even WITH the extra content, I'll most likely be passing on Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury as that game just isn't on the same level of quality to me. Passed on NSMB U Deluxe - and this is coming from a guy who prefers 2D Mario.

I would pay 60 for Mario Galaxy with non gimmick controls only if necessary. Having Sunshine as a bonus is amazing as I have never played it. And having Mario 64 is ok but have absolutely no interest in it.

So 60 for Galaxy and SUnshine, in HD, for me is a huge deal. I would also pay 60 for Galaxy 2 with non gimmick controls.

Soren0079 said:
FOMO: Fear of Missing Out.
= $$$$$

I preordered it for my 9 year old step daughter as part of a Christmas gift. I didn't want to have to deal with stock and scalper issues later on this year. I suspect that a good percentage of the sales will come from anxiety of having to get it asap before the 6 months is over and the collection is gone. 

Overall, it's a smart business move from Nintendo to increase their software revenue as they have little to nothing for new releases this holiday. Hell, they got my $90 CAD for it. Regardless of Nintendo reaping the benefits, it's still anti-consumer IMO by having a 6 month end date on it. Especially in a digital world where it will cost them next to nothing to keep their 1st party title on EShop for their customers to purchase. IMO, others are right by saying if MS and Sony did this the media backlash would be huge and anti-consumer articles would be written every day. Nintendo has seemingly got a pass on this one from consumers and the majority of the media because it's Mario. And that's fine, Mario is the face of gaming and many of us are here playing games because of Mario in the first place. I just hope that it doesn't start a trend of this type of release from anyone in the future as it's a slippery slope. 

Yeah this will sell 15mil at least. I hope Ninty has enough stock for switch so that it sells as crazily as it should this year

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Blood_Tears said:
Soren0079 said:
FOMO: Fear of Missing Out.
= $$$$$

I preordered it for my 9 year old step daughter as part of a Christmas gift. I didn't want to have to deal with stock and scalper issues later on this year. I suspect that a good percentage of the sales will come from anxiety of having to get it asap before the 6 months is over and the collection is gone. 

Overall, it's a smart business move from Nintendo to increase their software revenue as they have little to nothing for new releases this holiday. Hell, they got my $90 CAD for it. Regardless of Nintendo reaping the benefits, it's still anti-consumer IMO by having a 6 month end date on it. Especially in a digital world where it will cost them next to nothing to keep their 1st party title on EShop for their customers to purchase. IMO, others are right by saying if MS and Sony did this the media backlash would be huge and anti-consumer articles would be written every day. Nintendo has seemingly got a pass on this one from consumers and the majority of the media because it's Mario. And that's fine, Mario is the face of gaming and many of us are here playing games because of Mario in the first place. I just hope that it doesn't start a trend of this type of release from anyone in the future as it's a slippery slope. 

As a PART off a christmass gift?

Your stepdaughter is lucky to have you !

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
I pre-ordered too but I'm still really disappointed Galaxy 2 wasn't included. That's the game I was most looking forward to.

I have a sneaky feeling that Galaxy 2 could get an actual HD remake like WWHD. Possibly could be there big holiday game. Why leave it out of the collection when literally every other 3D game is releasing or already on Switch unless you have a plan? Nintendo is always thinking through the future and they know the demand for Galaxy 2 is insane (more than Galaxy imo). I'm calling it now, Galaxy 2 HD this Christmas, and a proper upgrade like WW got, not just some enhanced details. With completely reworked controls, added world's, added online play, made in the Odyssey engine.

Imagine the sales on that!

Dulfite said:
Trunkin said:

I have a sneaky feeling that Galaxy 2 could get an actual HD remake like WWHD. Possibly could be there big holiday game. Why leave it out of the collection when literally every other 3D game is releasing or already on Switch unless you have a plan? Nintendo is always thinking through the future and they know the demand for Galaxy 2 is insane (more than Galaxy imo). I'm calling it now, Galaxy 2 HD this Christmas, and a proper upgrade like WW got, not just some enhanced details. With completely reworked controls, added world's, added online play, made in the Odyssey engine.

I never played Galaxy 2, is that really an improvement over 1 (if that could be improved) that the demand for it would be so much higher than Galaxy 1?

Dulfite said:
Trunkin said:

I think we’re looking too much at why they didn’t include it, but when you look at their retro video they showed at the end of the direct, outside of Mario Bros 2 and 3, they basically ignored every second iterations like Land 2 or New Super Mario Bros 2, or maybe I just missed them...

I personally think that having both games in the collection would be redundant since they’re so alike. Would have been nice to have it, tho. 

abronn627 said:
Dulfite said:

I think we’re looking too much at why they didn’t include it, but when you look at their retro video they showed at the end of the direct, outside of Mario Bros 2 and 3, they basically ignored every second iterations like Land 2 or New Super Mario Bros 2, or maybe I just missed them...

I personally think that having both games in the collection would be redundant since they’re so alike. Would have been nice to have it, tho. 

I'm waiting for a NEW 2d AAA Mario after New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Nintendo doesn't wanna make this. All the cool things go to 3D Mario( new power ups, online, worlds, etc). One NEW ( with new worlds, new power-ups, new enemies, with online, new assets)have the potential to be the big hit. The 2d Mario go down with user content, the same asset's over and over, lame ideas and low profile games. 

Agente42 said:
abronn627 said:

I'm waiting for a NEW 2d AAA Mario after New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Nintendo doesn't wanna make this. All the cool things go to 3D Mario( new power ups, online, worlds, etc). One NEW ( with new worlds, new power-ups, new enemies, with online, new assets)have the potential to be the big hit. The 2d Mario go down with user content, the same asset's over and over, lame ideas and low profile games. 

Pretty sure you’ll have to wait for Miyamoto to lose all its remaining influence at Nintendo before you can hope to get a 2D Mario with the same level of commitment as 3D Mario.

Since there’s still no Pikmin 4, I guess we’re getting closer to that day 😂