By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August NPD 2020: Switch 504k, PS4 197k, XBO 45k

"Final Fantasy VII: Remake returned to the top 20 best-selling titles chart (#19) in August after finishing ranked 41st in July. The title was featured at a discounted price digitally on the PlayStation Store."

The title was at a discount at retailers such as Best Buy, GameStop, Amazon, etc. from August 7 to 19. Strange that info would be left out, but only mentioning digital.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
RolStoppable said:
Switch being up more than 100% year over year in August hurts Shadow's analysis from a month ago.

infinite comment

me reading this post be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wp3rzAdwT8&t

RolStoppable said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

If that was the case wouldn't the PS4 have been higher last month when the Xbone had abysmal stock? It was 150k then, so I don't see a clear connection. Regardless its a step up for everyone, didn't expect Xbox to recover or for the PS4 to be that high.

Last month didn't have any particular reason to have to have an Xbox, so people who couldn't get one would simply wait for the time being. This month had the yearly Madden and UFC releases, so those who couldn't get an Xbox in time for these releases were more inclined to get a PS4 instead of waiting until a later date. We are only talking about 20-30k units that went to the PS4 instead of the XB1 in August.

You telling me that anual released games are somehow gona increase the sales of a console on its last year before getting replaced? Now and not any of the other 6 prior releases? And they would also go to the console that is selling the worst?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

@Shadow1980

To me your last post looks like a giant wall of confirmation bias. But who knows? Maybe I am wrong. I would welcome you to make a numerical prediction in this thread and then at the end of the year we can see who was on target.
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243322/predict-switch-2020-sales/1/

That has to be a record for longest post that isn’t actually spam/copied from an article. I stopped reading real quick to see how much more and I was t close to half!

Shadow-dropping essays

Around the Network

The funny part is how Shadow has been saying for awhile now Switch will probably go back to being down each month with Covid affect wearing off. Now, ofcourse he wants to focus on AC or Covid lol. No later than September he said. 

Last edited by xPhenom08x - on 16 September 2020

RolStoppable said:
eva01beserk said:

You telling me that anual released games are somehow gona increase the sales of a console on its last year before getting replaced? Now and not any of the other 6 prior releases? And they would also go to the console that is selling the worst?

Yes, annual releases increase sales even in the final year before replacement, just like in all years before that. Still a year over year decline despite a boost to sales, but a smaller decline than without annual releases.

Boy, what bias. Anything to downplay PS4's success. As much as you'd like to believe the opposite, their success is not directly tied to Xbox's failure.

The PS4 is seeing sales because of its own merits, like exclusives, and because of Covid. People are staying home and need something to keep them entertained. The exact same thing applies to the Switch. Is Animal Crossing helping push HW? Of course. But to act like Covid isn't helping push both HW and SW is just asinine.

thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes, annual releases increase sales even in the final year before replacement, just like in all years before that. Still a year over year decline despite a boost to sales, but a smaller decline than without annual releases.

Boy, what bias. Anything to downplay PS4's success. As much as you'd like to believe the opposite, their success is not directly tied to Xbox's failure.

The PS4 is seeing sales because of its own merits, like exclusives, and because of Covid. People are staying home and need something to keep them entertained. The exact same thing applies to the Switch. Is Animal Crossing helping push HW? Of course. But to act like Covid isn't helping push both HW and SW is just asinine.

You both are forgetting about Fall Guys. If you're a console gamer the only way to play it is on a PS4.

That's astonishing, half a million machines sold beating Wii in it's prime
PS4 shows it's still got life in it till now while the successor is just around the corner, fine month

Meanwhile from the last Nintendo reporting...

The number of consumers who started playing on Nintendo Switch because of this
game continued to increase during the first quarter, from April to June 2020. Of all
systems in the Nintendo Switch family that were played for the first time during
this period, over half were used to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the first
day.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200806_2e.pdf

Nintendo with the Switch: