By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Here's Quick Drift Fix For Joycons (video included)

Yeah this works. I got electronic contact cleaner a few months ago after my joycon drift started getting really bad for a while.

I just do a few quick sprays and then wiggle the stick around for like 30 seconds. I found, with both my controller and my brother's controller, that after doing this once it mostly fixed the problem but it didn't take too long for the problem to come back, but then I sprayed it a second time and now its been a couple months with no problem whatsoever. It is a temporary fix as the problem is dirt gets in there and you need to spray it out, but if you give it a real good spray, or do it a couple separate times, you shouldn't have to do it again for a few months. And it isn't hard to do so its a good solution.

Around the Network

I didn't have audio on the video, is it suggested to run the battery all the way down? I didn't know brakleen was non-conductive... I use it at work (red can) to take up paint .... I know there is a non chlorinated version that comes in a green can and isn't as strong. Was this specifically electronics cleaner by Brakleen? I just find it hard to believe it is brake cleaner by Breakleen as that stuff is really strong, like melt the plastic strong.

What I'd like to know is how much residual of the product will be left on the controller, both on the places it can be wiped, and those where it cannot, as the product is clearly flowing into the into the controller not only via the stick, but also the buttons. I glanced at the safety data sheet of Brakleen, and wouldn't even dream of spraying it on my controllers, even if I was having a dream that I was dreaming. A double dream. No, before that, my fix would be to have the Switch repaired, sell it or trade it in, and move on with my as poison-free as possible life, instead of having to deal with this issue over and over again, as Nintendo is incapable of doing anything to put an end to one of the worst hardware defects gaming history, as the Switch approaches it's 4th anniversary. Absolute bush league.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It's an annoying issue. This is the first time that Nintendo hardware failed on me. Before the Switch all of my Nintendo consoles worked flawlessly until I got driftng issues with the Joycons. However, this solution with contact cleaner is very easy and fast, so it's quite manageable.

@cycycychris: I guess they change the sticks if there's enough wear. I had mine fixed a year earlier, and all they did was to clean them, If I recall. Now that I think of it, can't be sure about it.

The sad part is, that apparently there's no fix at all, even If they change the sticks.

@The_Yoda: No, The battery was full. Brakleen isn't conductive, so there's no need for running battery dry, atleast not conductive on a voltage Switch controllers use. Technically electronics cleaner would be better, as it's designed for the job.
It was brake cleaner from auto repair shop - the one that gets your hands white after a few seconds. It does not melt plastic, unlike nail polish remover would do.

@COKTOE: Of course there's residue. It's actually better to have some, as it protects the controller from new problems. Although, after that, there's residue all over the interior of the controller.

@Slownenberg: Yeah, you need quite a lot of the stuff to flush the dirt away.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
I didn't have audio on the video, is it suggested to run the battery all the way down? I didn't know brakleen was non-conductive... I use it at work (red can) to take up paint .... I know there is a non chlorinated version that comes in a green can and isn't as strong. Was this specifically electronics cleaner by Brakleen? I just find it hard to believe it is brake cleaner by Breakleen as that stuff is really strong, like melt the plastic strong.

I use an electronics cleaner, not brakleen but something else - whatever brand was at walmart. The first time I used it i let the battery run all the way down just to be safe, but when I did it again and when I did it twice on my brother's controller I didn't bother with that. If you're careful its not hard to avoid hitting any buttons while spraying it. Then I let it dry for a couple hours before I touch it again.

You might have to do it a second time, as I experienced with both controllers I cleaned, before the drift is completely gone. This solution works well and keeps drift away for a good while - it's been a few months since I did it twice on my controller and I have yet to have drift problems again.

Slownenberg said:
Yeah this works. I got electronic contact cleaner a few months ago after my joycon drift started getting really bad for a while.

I just do a few quick sprays and then wiggle the stick around for like 30 seconds. I found, with both my controller and my brother's controller, that after doing this once it mostly fixed the problem but it didn't take too long for the problem to come back, but then I sprayed it a second time and now its been a couple months with no problem whatsoever. It is a temporary fix as the problem is dirt gets in there and you need to spray it out, but if you give it a real good spray, or do it a couple separate times, you shouldn't have to do it again for a few months. And it isn't hard to do so its a good solution.

I find that sometimes it works once, but most often it's 2-3 sessions. It's because there's still crap in the controller, and it needs to all get cleaned out. After that, they are pretty much free from drift indefinitely, or until dust gets back in them.

You might notice that the drift on the 2nd and 3rd time is only located in one direction, which is the part that got missed. After it starts working again, it's usually a long time before drift reoccurs.

For those saying Nintendo never had any hardware issues before obviously never owned an NES =P

NES games had issues with starting up, it sometimes would take 10-15 minutes (and dozens of attempts) to get a game to load up. There was also an issue with the save features breaking, permanently, if you didn't play the game for a certain period of time.

Then there was the DS Lite which had fragile hinges, if it slipped from your hand and fell even 20 cms, or got knocked from a coffee table, the hinge would break making the top screen very floppy.

The lip around the bottom screen of the 3DS pressed against the top screen. With some pressure, it would bite into the top screen.

So, people trying to say Nintendo has been perfect until now simply aren't remembering earlier times, or have not had as much experience with Nintendo hardware as more major fans.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.