By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So... We really just went through all of August with basically no next gen info from MS and Sony?

It is annoying but at least all the details should finally get revealed this month so not much longer to wait. Having to wait far longer to get all the details is one of multiple bad things that have come about from E3 not happening this year.

Intrinsic said:
KBG29 said:

Microsoft has dropped the ball so bad, that I am honestly having a hard time getting excited for Xbox Series. I am almost tempted to just see what AMD's new GPU's look like and buy one of them instead. This is in stark contrast to where I was back in April. I was basically ready to put the PC on the back burner and just get the Series X.

As it stands, I honestly can' think of a single reason why anyone would buy an Xbox. Maybe I am just a sony shrill, but I would like to thnk I am being practical here as I can't say the same thing about the switch. Why get an XSX when you can get a PC? As crazy as it may sound, I would sooner spend $1000 - $1200 building a PC from the ground up than spending $500 getting an XSX. And f I already have the bones of a great PC, I would sooner spend $500 on an RTX 3070 or AMDs equivalent card than to get an XSX. Simply because EVERYTHING that XSX has to offer is also on the PC.

Can't say the same for Playstation or the Switch.

You mentioned the main reason, price. A capable PC that's at least comparable in power to the XSX will cost about 2-3 times as much and that's not including the monitor since you'll want a good monitor to go along with a capable PC if you're not gonna connect it to a tv. Due to stuff like not paying for online the price difference will be made up over time but the entry cost is far higher and that's a major turn off to a lot of people. Another reason is if most of someone's friends play on Xbox and they play together often though thanks to crossplay that shouldn't really be much of a factor anymore in 2-3 years.

Around the Network

It’s a frustrating game of chicken. Sony always wait for MS to go first but MS doesn’t want another 2013 price undercut.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

These consoles really should be delayed to March, June, or July 2021. But it's clear Sony and Microsoft don't want that. It seems they'd rather have the consoles sell out right away than wait until 2021.
They clearly are not prepared, because we would have release dates and prices months ago if they were.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Norion said:

You mentioned the main reason, price. A capable PC that's at least comparable in power to the XSX will cost about 2-3 times as much and that's not including the monitor since you'll want a good monitor to go along with a capable PC if you're not gonna connect it to a tv. Due to stuff like not paying for online the price difference will be made up over time but the entry cost is far higher and that's a major turn off to a lot of people. Another reason is if most of someone's friends play on Xbox and they play together often though thanks to crossplay that shouldn't really be much of a factor anymore in 2-3 years.

I get the numbers. But this is my counter to that.

Say there is going to be a PC in my house anyway. I am going to be spending around $1000 to build it. And no, I don't need it to be as powerful as the XSX, just need it to be more powerful than the XSS. Which s a 4TF machine.

If I already have a PC in my house, then I may be needing to upgrade the GPU, and again, No... I don't need to put in a $500 GPU in there,I can just throw in a $350 GPU into my existing PC.

Either way, the main thing here is that I have access to everything that comes from Microsoft. I don't need to own an Xbox to access all their content. And funny enough, ti s even the narrative MS is pushing.

If I were to do all that and forgo the PS5, then I am locked out of all the exclusive content that comes to that platform and would only hope that maybe 2-3 years after the release of some of that content it makes its way to the PC too.

If the argument is that "I just hate gaming n a PC" (which I personally do) then I can see the draw to an xbox. But that's kinda silly in of itself. have a decent PC by a 2 years ago upgrade standard with some parts that are probably 3/4 years at this point. And I am due anew upgrade this year or next year. And my budget is $1000. This is something I am going to do regardless of which console I own as I use my PC for a lot of other things. So for someone like me, it's flat out stupid for me to have a $1000 PC and still go and buy an Xbox.

Wman1996 said:
These consoles really should be delayed to March, June, or July 2021. But it's clear Sony and Microsoft don't want that. It seems they'd rather have the consoles sell out right away than wait until 2021.
They clearly are not prepared, because we would have release dates and prices months ago if they were.

Maybe you can say that about MS, but what gives you the impression that sony isn't prepared?

Because they are withholding pricing information? That's not an indication of how ready they are,itsjust a shift in strategy.

There really is absolutely nothing to gain for either of them to be announcing prices and release dates 4-6 months before the release of a new console. Which single other electronic device in the world does that?

Phones, GPUs, Laptops....etc are all announced 2-6 weeks before they hit shelves. Why should consoles be any different? What's important is that they show a decent amount of software that you will be getting that year, and they (well at least sony) is doing that. We are still yet to see a single next-gen game "running on the XSX".

Around the Network

Looks like im not the only one who noticed, but to me it looks like sony has the high ground. They got all the buzz and a 5 to 1 interest, so they probably dont need to say anything and hold on to the amo. If things stay as they are with nothing new coming sony will still have all the buzz. Since MS is the one that has to actually show a reason to own the box, they have to make a splash in the water and get things flowing and sony will in kind respond. But as it stands, they already said they have nothing for TGS. Maybe sony will show the bare minimun there cuz they dont want to waste a bomshell.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Looks like im not the only one who noticed, but to me it looks like sony has the high ground. They got all the buzz and a 5 to 1 interest, so they probably dont need to say anything and hold on to the amo. If things stay as they are with nothing new coming sony will still have all the buzz. Since MS is the one that has to actually show a reason to own the box, they have to make a splash in the water and get things flowing and sony will in kind respond. But as it stands, they already said they have nothing for TGS. Maybe sony will show the bare minimun there cuz they dont want to waste a bomshell.

Interesting that you say that bcuz I haven't seen a reason for me to own the PS5 at launch (and yes, I saw Spiderman and R&C trailers). Kena looks really cool though (but still not enough).  

chakkra said:
eva01beserk said:

Interesting that you say that bcuz I haven't seen a reason for me to own the PS5 at launch (and yes, I saw Spiderman and R&C trailers). Kena looks really cool though (but still not enough).  

I bet you also missed demon souls, godfall & grand turismo. They arent confirmed to be launch window, aside from godfall, but they are all aiming at it. and dont forget bugsacks.....game of the year.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Considering the state of the world right now, why would any company want to commit to anything any earlier than they absolutely have to? Its better to leave things floating, so that adjustments can be made as late as possible. If MS announces XBX/S coming on November 15th, and on October 20th a ship full of 500,000 units is stuck at sea because the crew has covid, everyone gets pissed when they miss the launch date. But, if they leave it floating, they just push the date back to November 22nd and nobody even notices.

The same is true about pricing. Lets say they want to price PS5 at $399. But, they realize they can only get 2mm units ready. May as well price the Day One Edition (or whatever they're gonna call it) at $499 at that point, because you'll sell all 2mm easily.

eva01beserk said:
chakkra said:

I bet you also missed demon souls, godfall & grand turismo. They arent confirmed to be launch window, aside from godfall, but they are all aiming at it. and dont forget bugsacks.....game of the year.

Nope, I didn't miss them. I saw them all.