By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best debut console

I think the best is...

NES 31 43.06%

PS1 34 47.22%

Xbox 7 9.72%

Total:72

NES is the only correct answer.  The only reason this is close is because a lot of people voting never experienced the NES in its prime.  It's kind of like someone who tries to convince you that Katy Perry is better the Beatles.  No, just no.

Also, the NES classic gets released, then it sells out immediately and resells for $300+ on Ebay.  The PS1 classic gets released and ends up getting marked down to $20.  There really is no contest here.

Around the Network

I have played so many games from the NES, (This list will include games I got a fan translated cartridge of)
Super Mario Bros 1-3 (and 2 Japan)
Castlevania 1
Zelda 1 and 2 (I like 2 a lot, I mean it's different and its challenging)
Final Fantasy 1-3
Dragon Quest/Warrior 1-4
Metroid
Bomberman
Tengen Tetris (better than Nintendo Tetris)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Mega Man 1-6
Duck Hunt
Contra

Don't get me wrong the PS1 had some great games, but I only ever really played (Ports from the SNES don't count in my book FF4-6 are not on here nor is Chrono Trigger)
Final Fantasy 7-9
Resident Evil 1-3
Gran Turismo 2
Xenogears
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy Tactics
Silent Hill 1 and 2
Chrono Cross

Also in terms of graphics 8-bit while being worse than its 16 bit cousin, the SNES, holds up with a few exceptions, better than the PS1. This is simply due to the PS1's early games be the first few steps in 3d gaming. The later titles like FF9 looked beautiful, but put it simply, I personally prefer looking at 8 bit games over the PS1s or N64s graphics.

Wasn't the Color TV-Game the actual debut of Nintendo in Video games?

I think the PS1 was a great start for Sony, since it had an incredible library. But I believe the NES had more impact. I mean, it saved the console industry. Xbox was a great system too, but it was overshadowed by the PS2.

It's really close between NES and PS1 for me, they both took gaming to new heights. NES was more revolutionary than evolutionary so that's my pick

The_Liquid_Laser said:

NES is the only correct answer.  The only reason this is close is because a lot of people voting never experienced the NES in its prime.  It's kind of like someone who tries to convince you that Katy Perry is better the Beatles.  No, just no.

Also, the NES classic gets released, then it sells out immediately and resells for $300+ on Ebay.  The PS1 classic gets released and ends up getting marked down to $20.  There really is no contest here.

This thread reminds me of this School of Rock scene.  I'm Jack Black talking about the NES and the kids are everyone saying the PS1 is better.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 30 August 2020

Around the Network

The NES was so good it revived the console market in the US. The other ones had their road already paved by then.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

For me it's between Xbox and PS1, as NES, while a landmark console, wasn't something I played in its heyday, and trying it as an adult I feel it hasn't aged very well, but that's just me.

Anyway, both Xbox and PS1 have some really great games, like Halo 1/2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and Star Wars Battlefront for the former and the Crash and Spyro games for the latter. Ultimately though I have slightly fonder memories and more of an attachment to the PS1, so it gets my vote.

Of the big 3, NES.

Otherwise, I would have said the PC-Engine/Turbografx. A marvelous machine, hold back by bad timing and next to no commercialization outside Japan.

Probably PS1, out of those choices. NES was a good system, but I preferred Master System, and Ninty has done better since. The OG XB was also good, but I just don't think it had quite the impact on gaming that PS1 (PSX, if we wanna go with original lingo) had.

Really though, I'd put Atari 2600 as the best debut system, if we can call it that. It basically took the home console from a novelty item to a serious piece of consumer electronics. Also, I played Pitfall when I was a 3 year old and got hooked on gaming for life. I recall getting stuck at the second level possibly every time that I played (once I finally best the first level). But, the experiences were profound enough to stick with me four decades later.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 30 August 2020

Based on the state of the market when the console debut, the competition, overall enjoyment, and market share (not that sales matter), I'm saying NES.

It was so dominant, launched so many classics, and basically started modern console gaming.