Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best debut console

I think the best is...

NES 31 43.06%

PS1 34 47.22%

Xbox 7 9.72%

Total:72
JRPGfan said:
KLXVER said:

Still the NES. 3/4 of the PS1 library has aged badly. 

You think the NES aged better? lol no.

Way better. Still as fun to play today.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
JRPGfan said:

You think the NES aged better? lol no.

the same is true for most playstation games, still as fun today.
Also you where the one saying it was about "ageing better".

vs

Alot of NES games havnt aged well.
Dialog, speech, sound effects, and graphics.

In that sense alot of PS1 games are still more than fine to this day.
Ofc theres stand outs on the NES too (super mario bro's) but overall the picture is much in favor of the PS1.
It aged better.

JRPGfan said:
KLXVER said:

the same is true for most playstation games, still as fun today.
Also you where the one saying it was about "ageing better".

vs

Theres a reason they still make NES like games today. They still look and plays great. Many PS1 games just looks and plays mediocre. Thats why they are remaking most of them. They were fun back in the day when we didnt know better.

While I'm more a fan of Nintendo overall, PlayStation takes this easily for me. It just had a bunch of great games that still hold up today (Symphony of the Night, MGS, FF7-FF9) and I don't feel like I can say the same for the NES.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Machina said:
KLXVER said:

Theres a reason they still make NES like games today. They still look and plays great. Many PS1 games just looks and plays mediocre. Thats why they are remaking most of them. They were fun back in the day when we didnt know better.

Highly controversial opinion incoming.

NES-like don't look great, they look like shit. But they're easy to make, which is a convenient and sometimes vital crutch for indie developers, and they successfully appeal to nostalgia so avoid widespread criticism.

Same goes for PS1 games of course - they now look like shit too, even more so because we're talking about the very first 3D games. Even nostalgia can't overcome how ropey and dated most of those early 3D games now look. Simple ports don't work for them, but full remakes do (Spyro, Crash, FF VII to name some of the more recent ones); with the dated graphics completely overhauled the sole barrier to the appeal to nostalgia for PS1 games is overcome.

Thats fine. I dont agree that NES games look like shit, but you are free to think so. Although I dont think games like Shovel Knight and The Messenger are popular just because of nostalgia.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Nes:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3
Megaman 1-6
Snake Rattle n Roll
Super Mario Bro's games
Double Dragon 1-3
Battletoads
Chip n Dale - Rescue Rangers
Ninja Gaiden
Contra
Mike Tysons Punch Out

playstation 1:
Tenchu
Suikoden
Spyro
Vagarent story
Megaman 8->16, Megaman Legends 1+2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tomb Raider 1-5
Tony Hawks Pro Skater games
Metal Gear Solid
Twisted Metal
Legacy of Kain
Syphon Filter
Crash Bandicoot
Oddworld
Rayman
Gran Turismo
GTA
Grandia
Final Fantasy 4->9
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Wipeout
Crono Cross (and trigger)
Xenogears
Legend of Mana
Wild Arms
The Legend of dragoon.
Parasite Eve
Medal of Honor
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dino Crisis
Persona 1+2

PS1 list with big name titles goes on and on.
Its debut was without a doubt bigger than the NES's.

NES was just the first. So in a historical sense, and what it ment for the industry its the biggest.
In terms of better games? the PS1.
(670-700 NES games vs 3100+ on the PS1, the NES had like 1-2 handfull of must own games, PS1 had much more)

"I think the best is.."

I think this question refers to the games? right.
Theres no question about the historical nature of the NES and its impact.
So the question is which had the better games?

Final Fantasy and all the wonderfull RPGs the PS1 had, def. makes it the winner.

NES started some series no one has ever heard of like Zelda. Mario. Metroid. Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy. Castlevania. Resident Evil doesn't exist without Sweet Home btw. Your list is insanely skewed. NES is where arcade ports could actually be ok. Ghosts n Goblins. TMNT and TMNT:TF. Rares best games on NES are now dead series like Wizards and Warriors and Captain Skyhawk. NES had Marble Madness. Crystalis. Blaster Master (PS1 sequel sucked) Startropics. Mother 1. Tetris. Batman NES still one of the best Batman games. River City Ransom. Excitebike. Balloon Fight. Metal Storm. Shadowgate. Shatterhand. Bomberman. Gradius. Lifeforce. Bionic Commando.Ducktales.  Smash TV and so so much more.

PS1 games mostly look like shit. NES games look and sound are still emulated. Very few will emulate PS1 visuals in indie games.

Last edited by Leynos - on 30 August 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The one with Zelda always wins

PS1 easily just by the number of great JRG's alone. Let me name a few more great PS1 games that haven't been mentioned yet Breath of Fire 3 and 4, Tekken 1,2 and 3, Resident Evil 2 and 3, Tomba 1 and 2, Rival Schools, Vandal Hearts 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 2, Soul Edge, Suikoden 2, Dragon Quest 7, Ridge Racer, Rage Racer, Dead or Alive.

ps1 has so many memorable great games though
thats the legacy that turned it into a juggernaut of a console!

I voted NES. But I prefer PS1. I experienced the Playstation generation. Nintendo set the blueprint with the NES though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.