Forums - General Discussion - Do you see the success in your life being due to your hard work and talent or luck?

90 % Luck
10 % Hard work

Being born at the right time in history, in the right place in the right family, makes all the difference really.
Still hard work is needed to get the best out of it.

Around the Network

Study hard and do a useful degree like Medicine or Engineering that require intelligence and hard work. Do not waste your time on worthless easy degrees like Art, Science or Business degree. You are better off doing a Trade than wasting your time on a worthless easy degree.

You can be as hardworking as you want, if you're unlucky, you'll achieve nothing. But Luck alone doesn't lead to anything, either. You need both for a good outcome.

Vinther1991 said:
90 % Luck
10 % Hard work

Being born at the right time in history, in the right place in the right family, makes all the difference really.
Still hard work is needed to get the best out of it.

99.999% luck then using birth as a factor. 

We're one out of how many sperm? 

Phoenix20 said:
Study hard and do a useful degree like Medicine or Engineering that require intelligence and hard work. Do not waste your time on worthless easy degrees like Art, Science or Business degree. You are better off doing a Trade than wasting your time on a worthless easy degree.

What if people enjoy arts and science? I get you don't need a bachelor degree to be an artist, but definitely need (and also a master  and a PhD) to be a scientist 

And this is in no way a easy degree wtf

You are actually giving the easy advice: Study for a job that pay better so you don't need to work more to get a nice wage

Around the Network

Depends. I mean, I would say luck.

But then I know some lazy bastards who were afforded the same opportunities as I that blew them, so work is definitely a factor. I wouldn't say "hard work" but definitely work. ie. get lucky and don't be a lazy bastard and you'll do fine.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Phoenix20 said:
Praying is more important than luck.
Praying is more important than hard work.
Not successful in life, you must pray more.

Bullshit. I've literally never prayed a day in my life.

"not religious" wouldn't be an accurate description of me, "anti-religious" would. Like, I actually find religion abhorent. Yet I'm better off than the vast majority of people...

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

In extreme cases, luck controls everything. I could win the lottery tomorrow or a car could come off the road and plow through my house, killing me instantly.

Barring such cases, luck plays a pivotal role in providing opportunity. Hard work is required to ensure you are prepared to take an opportunity that presents itself. But without opportunity there is no way to capitalise on your hard work.

Started off life pretty poor with a single mom. She got married when I was 8 and we remained poor pretty much until I graduated. I joined the Air Force, broke my leg in two places, and got separated. Worked whatever jobs I could but always did my best and treated people with respect. I always moved up the ladder before leaving and going to an even better job.

Now, I'm doing pretty well. Even at the job I have now, I've been approached several times with positions that could probably pay double my current paycheck but I declined. I'm stress free and comfortable and already living better than I every imagined. My own house on my own land, three cars, etc. I can pay all my monthly bills with one paycheck. And all I did was work hard and treat people with respect.

Looking at other posts, I guess luck played a big part. Lucky enough to have people in my life that made me work hard. Lucky enough to have the right teachers that gave new the right tools to be successful. Watched the right tv shows and had the right values, I guess. And I won the sperm Hunger Games. That was a big plus.

But, I'd say from the time I was 18, the person I became dictated where I would be in life. 

Last edited by d21lewis - on 29 August 2020

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

kirby007 said:
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain

All this time I thought he said "50% concentrated power of will"

I just assumed it was bad math.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢