By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you see the success in your life being due to your hard work and talent or luck?

Vinther1991 said:
90 % Luck
10 % Hard work

Being born at the right time in history, in the right place in the right family, makes all the difference really.
Still hard work is needed to get the best out of it.

99.999% luck then using birth as a factor. 

We're one out of how many sperm? 

Around the Network
Phoenix20 said:
Study hard and do a useful degree like Medicine or Engineering that require intelligence and hard work. Do not waste your time on worthless easy degrees like Art, Science or Business degree. You are better off doing a Trade than wasting your time on a worthless easy degree.

What if people enjoy arts and science? I get you don't need a bachelor degree to be an artist, but definitely need (and also a master  and a PhD) to be a scientist 

And this is in no way a easy degree wtf

You are actually giving the easy advice: Study for a job that pay better so you don't need to work more to get a nice wage

In extreme cases, luck controls everything. I could win the lottery tomorrow or a car could come off the road and plow through my house, killing me instantly.

Barring such cases, luck plays a pivotal role in providing opportunity. Hard work is required to ensure you are prepared to take an opportunity that presents itself. But without opportunity there is no way to capitalise on your hard work.

Started off life pretty poor with a single mom. She got married when I was 8 and we remained poor pretty much until I graduated. I joined the Air Force, broke my leg in two places, and got separated. Worked whatever jobs I could but always did my best and treated people with respect. I always moved up the ladder before leaving and going to an even better job.

Now, I'm doing pretty well. Even at the job I have now, I've been approached several times with positions that could probably pay double my current paycheck but I declined. I'm stress free and comfortable and already living better than I every imagined. My own house on my own land, three cars, etc. I can pay all my monthly bills with one paycheck. And all I did was work hard and treat people with respect.

Looking at other posts, I guess luck played a big part. Lucky enough to have people in my life that made me work hard. Lucky enough to have the right teachers that gave new the right tools to be successful. Watched the right tv shows and had the right values, I guess. And I won the sperm Hunger Games. That was a big plus.

But, I'd say from the time I was 18, the person I became dictated where I would be in life. 

Last edited by d21lewis - on 29 August 2020

kirby007 said:
This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain

All this time I thought he said "50% concentrated power of will"

I just assumed it was bad math.

Around the Network

Uhmm, hard work and talent is a big factor for me.

But I also got very lucky that I lived in a stable home (even though it was single parent) and my mother encouraged and allowed me to pursue things I found interesting and I'm also lucky that even though my area wasn't the best, it wasn't so bad that I got caught up in any bad shit that could've derailed my future.

So I worked a lil hard and my talent helped me through a lot, but all of that would've meant nothing without luck.

(Also the ultimate luck of not being born in a 3rd world country)

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

This is going to sound extremely arrogant, but it's not meant to be: Honestly a combination of privilege, hard work, smart decisions, and luck. I worked extremely hard throughout high school and university to have good grades -> this allowed me to get into the top business program in Canada -> which allowed me to get a job at the Big 4 Accounting Firm -> which helped me get my CA Designation + a good paying job after -> this helped me buy a condo in Toronto in 2014 -> etc. Luck across the real estate inflation, being born a decent looking white male in Canada with an extroverted personality, etc. (meaning I had an easy childhood/teenage years, good employment prospects, etc.). So, it's a bit of everything.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

I recommend the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, it will blow your mind. It's about this very topic, and breaks it all down in great detail. Fascinating stuff.

Like there's this one part that talks about Bill Gates and how the only reason he was successful was because he just HAPPENED to know a guy who let him use his computer for free (because computers were super expensive and hard to come by those days, and he couldn't afford his own) so he was able to get super good at programming before anyone else. If it hadn't been for that chance meeting, Bill Gates would not have been the success we know him as today.

The book is filled with examples like that, I highly recommend it. Luck has a lot more to do with it than people think.

I don't know.
I have a well paid job for now and still going up. And getting there was making specific choices at specific times.

Even wrong choices can end up as right ones after some time. Is that called luck or is this called fate?

It can also all end of a sudden, what do you call it then?

What about people working even harder than me and still ending worse. What does that mean for them?

I don't know, but I still push forward.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Phoenix20 said:
Study hard and do a useful degree like Medicine or Engineering that require intelligence and hard work. Do not waste your time on worthless easy degrees like Art, Science or Business degree. You are better off doing a Trade than wasting your time on a worthless easy degree.

That is too simplistic, and not true everywhere.

For instance here in Luxembourg, if you got an Business or science degree, you're off to a good start. Engineering though, not so much in most cases. Medicine? A General Practitioner will have a good living, a surgeon a truly great wage, but it's all for noting (it's the job with the longest workdays and -weeks by far; basically perpetual crunchtime and thus no time for family, friends or whatever else you normally got in life), and, as a nurse, you'll be overworked and underpaid.