By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you see the success in your life being due to your hard work and talent or luck?

Praying is more important than luck.
Praying is more important than hard work.
Not successful in life, you must pray more.

Around the Network

Just had this convo today. Funny. Hardwork is overrated. Fun is what matters. Have fun when you work.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Phoenix20 said:
Praying is more important than luck.
Praying is more important than hard work.
Not successful in life, you must pray more.

"Gods good humor".

4:55 - 6:33 (The whole clip is great in terms of some of the successful elites taking their luck for granted)

If only someone hadn't chosen to try and make headlines. Oh how your luck can change in such little time. 

Personally... talent.

I am lazy as fuck. But I accomplish more than most despite that.

I am self evaluating. I see how successful I have been being lazy as fuck and am trying to find ways to to be not lazy. I believe I could be even more successful if I could maximize my talent.

Oh and I do not believe in luck. I believe some people are naturally intuitive which means they perceive truths even if they cannot quantify them. A highly intuitive person will appear to others as lucky.

Last edited by bigjon - on 29 August 2020

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

In my own life?

Some of it was hard work. I put myself outside my comfort zone and pushed myself to try things that by their nature were very difficult for me, like helping run camps, teaching classes, and public speaking. When the opportunity arose, I seized it, and worked hard at it because it did not come easily to me. And through those efforts I did become successful at my job as an autism advocate.

A lot of it was also luck; I was fortunate enough to be born in a first world country where workplaces could meet my special needs, and where there was a welfare safety net and universal healthcare there for me when I needed them. 

Around the Network
bigjon said:

Personally... talent.

I am lazy as fuck. But I accomplish more than most despite that.

I am self evaluating. I see how successful I have been being lazy as fuck and am trying to find ways to to be not lazy. I believe I could be even more successful if I could maximize my talent.

Oh and I do not believe in luck. I believe some people are naturally intuitive which means they perceive truths even if they cannot quantify them. A highly intuitive person will appear to others as lucky.

Talent is a part I agree, but I think hard work and talent go hand in hand. People view hard work as just working thoughtlessly taking up time and by doing that eventually you will struck gold. But like gold mining, the guy that digs ground that has been mined and can't identify it has been mined is wasting their time. 

Hard work means being a doer for sure, but more so like you said being intuitive and always being aware of what is going on around you in the world (or your environment on a smaller scale) and making the right choices at the right time or adopting to a situation or change before the ship has sailed and left you behind.

Most humans are lazy by nature. Some take laziness to the extreme and feel like they can't do anything so they sit at home and collect welfare. Or they don't value having say $100,000 to spend on nice things over say $20,000 just enough to afford food and being at the beach every day.  Intuitive people will say yes I am lazy, but how can I achieve the outcome I want. For example, with UNI, you can study extreme long hours, or you can study smart.  Extreme long way is to study and learn everything, the smart way is to study past exams and look for patterns a teacher might be using. Then focus on nailing things you think will be in the exam and then learn a few other things just enough as backup. Or even as simple as analysing what each part of an exam is weighted towards the final grade. For example, lets s say you have two lecturers who teach two things for one course. If one lecturer teaches 1 day a week and the other teaches 4 days a week, over a course of say 15 weeks ones, notes are much shorter than the other. If both lecturer's sections are worth 50% on the exam, you study the one with less notes to learn. As you can see from this example, hard word was put in, but it was used intuitively not to waste time.

Saying all that, we all have different drivers in life on what we deem "successful", so I will not bag anyone out for their life choices. What pisses me off is people who bag out others for having more than them. Especially if you are in the same country, you have the same opportunities as everyone who has succeeded if you set your mind to it. In fact, especially true for Australia, many migrants have come from shitty situations and have made life better for themselves. Why is that? Why are Aussie locals so complacent to just float and hope it comes to them? Because they are born into an easy life style and don't know better or how to do things for themselves.

maybe i should level up my LUCK so i get a better position in life lol!

90 % Luck
10 % Hard work

Being born at the right time in history, in the right place in the right family, makes all the difference really.
Still hard work is needed to get the best out of it.

Study hard and do a useful degree like Medicine or Engineering that require intelligence and hard work. Do not waste your time on worthless easy degrees like Art, Science or Business degree. You are better off doing a Trade than wasting your time on a worthless easy degree.

You can be as hardworking as you want, if you're unlucky, you'll achieve nothing. But Luck alone doesn't lead to anything, either. You need both for a good outcome.