By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you see the success in your life being due to your hard work and talent or luck?

100% luck. From the place and time you were born to the opportunities you have in life. Your ability to work hard is also luck.

Around the Network

Mostly luck.

Born in a Western wealthy country with two hard working parents as example
Lucked out with a great school
Not so lucky with university or so I thought, dropped out, got a great job by luck of the draw
I actually got to use the few things I learned in university in my job
The company I worked for was in the right place at the right time and became very successful

Sure I contributed to that success with a lot of hard work, all nighters, working in the weekend, bringing work home etc.
So I would say 70/30 in favor of luck.

There was one key decision in my life that would have altered things drastically, success wise. I was ready to switch my software development job to go into advertising. I was already hired by the other company was ready to leave when my current job gave me a counter offer and pretty much free reign to work on a new project right in my interest area, what I had wanted to do all along. It was a very hard decision since the other job was were my best friend worked and he had landed me that offer. Was it luck, following my gut feeling and disappointing my friend?