By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series Launch Holiday line-ups

Pretty lousy. Been ages since a good launch lineup.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

With no Halo, these are very much just run-of-the-mill launch lineups. The most interesting part will be the price discrepancy between the multiple skus, and the difference in performance of multi-plats.

Just patiently waiting for next E3. They'll both sell well out the gate regardless, but I don't expect much excitement from next-gen before then.

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. I'm sure both with sell out but long-term is questionable. We also don't know where the economy will fall. People may just stick with older hardware and not upgrade. The $70 game will drive a lot of people away and inflation may cause the AAA game to become unprofitable. I think 2021 is going to be the real determining year. Otherwise, neither line up looks amazing. Though, in fairness, launch line-ups usually suck. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

shikamaru317 said:
Shaunodon said:

I wouldn't even put Horizon: Forbidden West down for 2021 right now. If it had a realistic chance at actually making that window, they would've put 2021 in the initial trailer. A quote during a dev interview of, 'we're aiming for next year', is sketchy at best.

Yeah, he basically said in that interview that while they are aiming for 2021, it could be delayed into 2022 quite easily. 

Horizon: Forbidden West, a game confirmed for 2021, isn't coming in 2021.
Yet, Forza Horizon 5, an unannounced, unconfirmed game rumoured to be in development is certainly coming next year. When you have to result to making games up and coming up with imaginary delays, it's beyond clear how weak XBox's offering is.

I'm not impressed with Sony's because I think they have super secret stuff: what they've actually shown is really impressive, and clearly working well to position the PS5 for early next-gen.
XBox's offering, by the same metric, is inadequate, and looks to stay that way for "the next couple years", and we'll see the results of their strategy come launch. 

Tulipanzo said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, he basically said in that interview that while they are aiming for 2021, it could be delayed into 2022 quite easily. 

Horizon: Forbidden West, a game confirmed for 2021, isn't coming in 2021.
Yet, Forza Horizon 5, an unannounced, unconfirmed game rumoured to be in development is certainly coming next year. When you have to result to making games up and coming up with imaginary delays, it's beyond clear how weak XBox's offering is.

I'm not impressed with Sony's because I think they have super secret stuff: what they've actually shown is really impressive, and clearly working well to position the PS5 for early next-gen.
XBox's offering, by the same metric, is inadequate, and looks to stay that way for "the next couple years", and we'll see the results of their strategy come launch. 

Forbidden West wasn't confirmed for 2021, it is aiming for 2021, those are two entirely different things. Aiming implies the possibility of delays, especially with covid forcing developers to work from home, which is slowing development for all games currently. It wasn't even Sony who said it was aiming for 2021, it was one of the games developers, in an interview. If Sony was confident that the game could make 2021, they would have told the developers to put 2021 in the trailer, the fact that they didn't means that they think the game might get delayed to 2022, and they don't want to face the backlash from an official delay; the game can't be delayed to 2022 officially if Sony never said it was a 2021 game to start with. Forbidden West might make 2021 and it might not, it's a wait and see kind of thing. 

Horizon 5 is a bit more than rumored to be in development, it is known to be in development from job listings, and has been in development for nearly 2 years already, considering that the next Horizon game always enters development as soon as the previous one releases. I already gave you solid reasoning on why the game is a 2021 release (Motorsport reboot is reportedly 2022, MS won't release both Horizon and Motorsport on the same year, nor will they wait until 2023 to release Horizon 5 because that would mean having no Horizon games available on the market for several months at least after Horizon 4 is delisted in September 2022. All of that, plus the recent big uptick in hiring on the Playground racing team, 20+ devs in the last 3 months, which indicates they are pushing hard to meet a release deadline). If you choose to ignore logical reasoning that is your prerogative. 

Your assessment of the 2020 and 2021 for both consoles is subjective. While you find Sony's 2021 impressive and Microsoft's disappointing, somebody else with a different perspective can be disappointed with Sony's 2021 lineup, I know I am somewhat, and I have spoken to other multiplat gamers who feel the same way. Two timed moneyhats (Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo) which I can play on Xbox if I wait a year, and Horizon: Forbidden West, if it doesn't get delayed, those are all that Sony has announced for 2021 that interest me personally, as I don't like Souls games, and the rest that Sony has confirmed for 2021 so far are indies that don't really interest me like Stray and Volcano High. For me at least, Microsoft's 2021 is stronger than Sony's; multiple games that interest me, including Halo, Flight Simulator, Call of the Sea, and most likely Horizon 5 and Scorn, all of which I can play day one on Gamepass, saving me tons of money. With Sony, because I have to buy exclusives, I only play what really excites me, which is usually the big AAA's like Horizon, God of War, and Uncharted, but Gamepass allows me to play MS exclusives which don't interest me as much, and I often find that I end up liking them, games I would have others missed out on it simply because I couldn't afford to play them without Gamepass.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 22 August 2020

Theres rumors of Demons Soul's potentially makeing the launch window.
Apparently its been rated for release on japan/korea. Even if its not at launch, it might be the following month or so.

Theres also been reports from Offical playstation magazine, that claims GT is in the launch window as well.

So the holidays, you'll potentially be playing Spiderman/Demon Souls/GT on PS5.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 22 August 2020

Around the Network

Updated the list with 2 more multiplats that have been announced for this Holiday, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and Lost at Sea.

So much talk about launch lineups but like Phil said for both consoles next-gen is all about feel, I can't wait to just play third party games on next-gen consoles.
Xbox SX - Best graphic combined with 60-120fps; faster loading; better input time & Project Acoustics.
PS5 - Fastest Load time, 3D audio; Adaptive triggers & Haptic feedback, 60 FPS.
Both consoles will now have all the benefits of SSD gaming.

Last gen console gaming was a real let down when compared to PC. Consoles gaming was pretty much stuck at sub 60FPS. I'm so glad that both made commitment to faster load times but I would really like to see both Microsoft and Sony commit to 60FPS options for all games.

Between gamepass and Console exclusive on Xbox and PS5 exclusives in the work both consoles will soon deliver on the games. When combining the launch lineup with third parties games and both hardware supporting backward compatibility both consoles are truly delivering one of the biggest launch lineups.

maybe we should add Ratchet and Clank after today's show

With the announcement of ratchet and clank as a launch window, the ps5 line up is shaping up to be better than the ps4 lineup. Just at launch godfall and spider man are gonna be better than killzone and knack.

jenpol said:
maybe we should add Ratchet and Clank after today's show

Thing is, the metric I'm using for this launch window list is Holiday 2020, and I'm not convinced that Insomniac meant Holiday 2020 when they said launch window for Ratchet & Clank today. Sometimes publishers will refer to like the first 6 months of a new console as launch window, I think maybe even the first 9 months sometimes. The fact that they specifically listed Spider-Man PS4 as Holiday 2020 back in the June show, but had no date or window on the Ratchet & Clank demo in either the June show or today's Gamescom show, and only called it launch window in the interview portion, does suggest to me that it's not Holiday 2020, but probably Q1 or Q2 2021.