By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series Launch Holiday line-ups

Wman1996 said:
I know a lot of people were disappointed with the PS4 and Xbox One launch windows. For those that experienced those, how does this compare?

For me personally:

PS5 exclusives vs PS4 exclusives: PS5 wins. I personally wasn't interested in a single Sony launch window exclusive, while for PS5 I'm interested in Kena, Miles Morales, and The Pathless.

XB1 exclusives vs Xbox Series exclusives: Xbox Series wins. While I did like the XB1 launch line-up alot more than PS4's, between Forza Motorsport 5, Powerstar Golf, Peggle 2, and Crimson Dragon, the Series line-up is better for me. Falconeer, Yakuza 7, The Ascent, The Medium, and CrossFireX's singleplayer all interest me. The fact that 3 out of 5 of those will be on Gamepass day one really pushes it over the top for me.

PS4/XB1 multiplats vs PS5/Series multiplats: Easily PS5/Series on this one. PS4/XB1 had a disappointing multiplat lineup on launch for me, I mainly only was interested in CoD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4. PS5/Series multiplat line-up stomps that into the ground. We have AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Chivalry 2, Planet Coaster, Call of Duty Cold War, plus even though Cyberpunk 2077 and Star Wars Squadrons won't be getting graphical upgrades at launch, both will be playable on PS5 and Xbox Series through backwards compatibility with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X graphical settings respectively. 

Around the Network

If Demon's Souls is in launch window, I'm all in at launch.... £450 or no.

Probably the best console launch lineup ever for PC players.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Probably the best console launch lineup ever for PC players.

Yeah, 13 of the launch "exclusives" are also on PC. Were it not for the fact that a proper next-gen specced PC would cost me like $800+ later this year, I might just go that route instead of getting a console. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 21 August 2020

sales2099 said:

I wonder about CrossfireX. Xbox Game Studios Publishing partly funded this game. I don’t think it’ll ever come to PS if this is the case. At the same time they never really made this clear.

Either way it’s good to see everything laid out. From a purely business perspective Halo being a launch title would be wasted. Not much really pops out for either console. The “brand” is really the only system seller in 2020. 

CrossFireX had a "console launch exclusive" message on the July show, so it is a timed console exclusive. We don't know how long it is exclusive for though, could be months, could be a year, could be even longer. 

Around the Network

Eric Lempel (Head of Marketing) recently called this "the best line-up in the history of PlayStation", and first-party wise I'd have to agree. Launch seems solid, but really launch year looks filled with incredibly strong, proper AAA releases. They also work to highlight the PS5's power and speed: "hopping between dimensions" was guessed as an eventual potential use of the SSD, yet we're seeing it used in a launch window title. It's very good stuff.

The Series X's on the other hand is absolutely barren. This has been XBox's worst year since 2017, and we're just ready for 2 more years of this because "cross-gen is a meme". This is by far XBox's worst launch line-up, and after Halo's embarassing showcase I feel they probably need to delay the system. They won't of course, but it will be dire.

Tulipanzo said:

Eric Lempel (Head of Marketing) recently called this "the best line-up in the history of PlayStation", and first-party wise I'd have to agree. Launch seems solid, but really launch year looks filled with incredibly strong, proper AAA releases. They also work to highlight the PS5's power and speed: "hopping between dimensions" was guessed as an eventual potential use of the SSD, yet we're seeing it used in a launch window title. It's very good stuff.

The Series X's on the other hand is absolutely barren. This has been XBox's worst year since 2017, and we're just ready for 2 more years of this because "cross-gen is a meme". This is by far XBox's worst launch line-up, and after Halo's embarassing showcase I feel they probably need to delay the system. They won't of course, but it will be dire.

Xbox launch line-up seems just fine to me, I know I plan to play several of those games. And the 2021 line-up looks even better with games like Flight Sim, Halo, and almost certainly Forza Horizon 5. Scorn and Second Extinction have a good chance of a 2021 release. Exomecha, Call of the Sea, The Gunk, Bright Memory Infinite, and Hello Neighbor 2 are already confirmed for 2021. Plus MS still has a 2nd show planned for later this year where they can announce more 2021 games. 

shikamaru317 said:

Xbox launch line-up seems just fine to me, I know I plan to play several of those games. And the 2021 line-up also looks fine, with games like Flight Sim, Halo, and almost certainly Forza Horizon 5. Scorn and Second Extinction have a good chance of a 2021 release. Exomecha, Call of the Sea, Bright Memory Infinite, and Hello Neighbor 2 are already confirmed for 2021. 

None of those titles are even close to being big, popular, or good. In fact, you've listed games that have been in Early Access or fully released for years on PC, but never garnered any attention. These are smallish releases from lesser known devs, meant to COMPLEMENT, not substitute, your bigger releases.
It's like if the PS5 launched with Bugsnax and nothing else: I'd love it, but it'd be daft to think enough people would care to justify a console launch.
If you're looking at it from a purely numerical point of view, sure, XBox has some titles. However, none justify the purchase of a $500 box, especially when most can be played on your old X1.

As an aside, mentioning an unannounced, unconfirmed game as "almost certain" kind of underscores how little of value there is... 

Tulipanzo said:
shikamaru317 said:

Xbox launch line-up seems just fine to me, I know I plan to play several of those games. And the 2021 line-up also looks fine, with games like Flight Sim, Halo, and almost certainly Forza Horizon 5. Scorn and Second Extinction have a good chance of a 2021 release. Exomecha, Call of the Sea, Bright Memory Infinite, and Hello Neighbor 2 are already confirmed for 2021. 

None of those titles are even close to being big, popular, or good. In fact, you've listed games that have been in Early Access or fully released for years on PC, but never garnered any attention. These are smallish releases from lesser known devs, meant to COMPLEMENT, not substitute, your bigger releases.
It's like if the PS5 launched with Bugsnax and nothing else: I'd love it, but it'd be daft to think enough people would care to justify a console launch.
If you're looking at it from a purely numerical point of view, sure, XBox has some titles. However, none justify the purchase of a $500 box, especially when most can be played on your old X1.

As an aside, mentioning an unannounced, unconfirmed game as "almost certain" kind of makes it apparent how little of value there is... 

a. As far as we currently know, Sony only has 3-4 big exclusives for 2021, Horizon: Forbidden West, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop and Demon's Souls remake (assuming it isn't a 2020 game). Xbox will have 3 big games for 2021 most likely, Halo, Flight Sim, and Forza Horizon 5, possibly more since they still have a 3rd 2020 show and E3 2021 where they can still announce more 2021 games. 

b. As far as I know the only games on my 2021 list that are already released on PC are Flight Sim and Bright Memory. Bright Memory is in the 500k-1m range on Steam Spy, which isn't bad at all for a game developed by 1 person. Flight Sim just released and according to an insider is selling on pace to sell more than 1m in the first month.

please let there be a demonz soulz remakez this year 2020 end on a high note!