By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series Launch Holiday line-ups

shikamaru317 said:

Xbox launch line-up seems just fine to me, I know I plan to play several of those games. And the 2021 line-up also looks fine, with games like Flight Sim, Halo, and almost certainly Forza Horizon 5. Scorn and Second Extinction have a good chance of a 2021 release. Exomecha, Call of the Sea, Bright Memory Infinite, and Hello Neighbor 2 are already confirmed for 2021. 

None of those titles are even close to being big, popular, or good. In fact, you've listed games that have been in Early Access or fully released for years on PC, but never garnered any attention. These are smallish releases from lesser known devs, meant to COMPLEMENT, not substitute, your bigger releases.
It's like if the PS5 launched with Bugsnax and nothing else: I'd love it, but it'd be daft to think enough people would care to justify a console launch.
If you're looking at it from a purely numerical point of view, sure, XBox has some titles. However, none justify the purchase of a $500 box, especially when most can be played on your old X1.

As an aside, mentioning an unannounced, unconfirmed game as "almost certain" kind of underscores how little of value there is... 

Around the Network

please let there be a demonz soulz remakez this year 2020 end on a high note!

So Scorn isn’t a launch game? I know some sites listed it as one but I never saw a source.

shikamaru317 said:

a. As far as we currently know, Sony only has 3-4 big exclusives for 2021, Horizon: Forbidden West, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop and Demon's Souls remake (assuming it isn't a 2020 game). Xbox will have 3 big games for 2021 most likely, Halo, Flight Sim, and Forza Horizon 5, possibly more since they still have a 3rd 2020 show and E3 2021 where they can still announce more 2021 games. 

b. As far as I know the only games on my 2021 list that are already released on PC are Flight Sim and Bright Memory. Bright Memory is in the 500k-1m range on Steam Spy, which isn't bad at all for a game developed by 1 person. Flight Sim just released and according to an insider is selling on pace to sell more than 1m in the first month.

You're putting a title you made-up to prop-up XBox's barren launch, while removing stuff Sony announced.
This is deluded fanboyish behaviour

With no Halo, these are very much just run-of-the-mill launch lineups. The most interesting part will be the price discrepancy between the multiple skus, and the difference in performance of multi-plats.

Just patiently waiting for next E3. They'll both sell well out the gate regardless, but I don't expect much excitement from next-gen before then.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

With no Halo, these are very much just run-of-the-mill launch lineups. The most interesting part will be the price discrepancy between the multiple skus, and the difference in performance of multi-plats.

Just patiently waiting for next E3. They'll both sell well out the gate regardless, but I don't expect much excitement from next-gen before then.

SpiderMan MM, DeS on Sony's side look pretty good, and their lineup for 2021 is incredibly solid.
It's a much better launch year than any recent console, beside the Switch.

I'm starting to doubt the SeX sells all that well tbh, the excitement is nonexistent and it looks like it's going to be costlier than the PS5. It's 3 months from launch, and while Sony has a bunch of announcements left for momentum, MS is pretty much done. They only have to finally announce Series S, which they know will muddy all their marketing.

iceland said:
So Scorn isn’t a launch game? I know some sites listed it as one but I never saw a source.

Guess not, 2021 looking like a great year for Xbox if games like Scorn and Halo releasing then 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

shikamaru317 said:
Tulipanzo said:

You're putting a title you made-up to prop-up XBox's barren launch, while removing stuff Sony announced.
This is deluded fanboyish behaviour

a. I'm not a fanboy of any system, I'm a multiplat gamer as you can clearly tell from my signature which shows my Xbox achievements and Playstation trophies.

b. Forza Horizon 5 is not made up, it is known to be in development and almost certainly targeting a 2021 release for several reasons. Forza Motorsport reboot is rumored for a 2022 release, and since MS won't release both Motorsport and Horizon on the same year, it's a safe bet that Horizon 5 will release in 2021 or 2023, and of those two windows, 2021 is far more likely; if they wait until 2023 to release Horizon 5 then they will have no Horizon game on the store by late 2022, because Horizon 4 ill be removed in September 2022 as MS only pays for 4 year licensing deals for cars and music for the Horizon games. 2021 would give it 3 years of development, 1 year more than any previous Horizon game. Also, Playground racing team has been doing massive amount of hiring since Horizon 4 released, they've gone from about 110 devs when Horizon 4 released to about 160 now, and still have 36 open job listings for the racing team. The huge uptick in recent hiring especially indicates that the game is entering the final stretch of development and they are bringing on more people to help get the game home.

c. We were specifically talking about big games, AAA games. The only big games that Sony has announced with a 2021 window are Horizon: Forbidden West, Deathloop, and Ghostwire Tokyo. Demon's Souls remake has no date or window, but based on the recent ratings in Korea and Japan, is most likely releasing in either late 2020 or early 2021. Ratchet and Clank was announced with no date or window, it may release in 2021 but that is far from certain with Sony, in the past they have often announced games that are more than a year away from release, and announcing without a date or window is often a good indication of that. Those are the only AAA exclusives that Sony announced that might make 2021 at all. Project Athia is known to be early development, it doesn't even have a proper title yet, might not even release in 2022. Returnal is developed by Housemarque, a AA studio. Stray, Volcano High, and Solar Ash are 2021 but they are all indie/single A games. 

I wouldn't even put Horizon: Forbidden West down for 2021 right now. If it had a realistic chance at actually making that window, they would've put 2021 in the initial trailer. A quote during a dev interview of, 'we're aiming for next year', is sketchy at best.

We may not know all the games in the launch lineups for these consoles, some may get delayed, but one thing is for sure is that it better be good. Previous consoles have shown to have a slow start because of their initial launch lineup. Xbox and PS need to make sure they have launch day down along with the next 3-4 months down. Gamers want to see what can they expect from a new console release. If what they see isn't that good to make that $500 (assuming the price) investment then they will hold off.

Pretty lousy. Been ages since a good launch lineup.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!