By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devs Talk about the Dual Sense Controller

Hope it delivers and gets utilized better than SixAxis or the touchpad usually do. I do have to wonder about the durability of those triggers.

Around the Network

I'm curious to test how well it works and if there really is potential to cut down onscreen cues, then that is a big plus imo.

Lafiel said:
I'm curious to test how well it works and if there really is potential to cut down onscreen cues, then that is a big plus imo.

In deathloop they block the trigger of the dual sense if your weapon jam. So this is a physical cue instead of a visual one ( hope they can make you feel when a sword or a shield break).

Leynos said:

The what if you could do such and such argument is old. Same shit people said for DS and Wii U Gamepad. Wii remote speaker. PS4 touchpad. Then Wii U gamepad was so innovative we got a horn for Mario Kart 8. woo. Most devs made the second DS screen a map. Yay... Most of Vita's features were wasted. PS4 touchpad mainly became the selectangle button. Sure some devs will put it to good use but 90% of them will not. Remember the 800 bow and arrow games on Wii and PS3 Move? Even Sony is known to just give up not too long after themselves. You will get a flurry of games at the beginning that will use it but remember how fast Sixaxis was abandoned by devs. How this usually goes. This is the same song and dance we have heard forever and a day. 

I'm not going to use the word gimmick because people don't even know the definition of the word. Literally everything about gaming is a gimmick. Big whoop. Not a bad term. However, these are features that we have seen a million times before. Just won't be used much or well a year or so after launch.

All I will say, is that the features that stay are the ones that add to the experience in a meaningful way or can enable mechanics not previously possible. And the ones that go are the ones that don't or are convoluted.

Things like six axis are gimmicky because in all cases they are used there is an easier better way to do the same thing they are trying to do. But I stand by what I am saying about things like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. They can and will allow for things in gaming that would become standard because they would make doing certain things a lot better/easier. 

I can think of so many ways these things can be implemented and across so many genres, and I am not talking about gimmicky features or controls but talking about things which when done you would wonder how you were ok without it before. And that's how things like these are when started. You never think you need it until you experience it then you can't do without it. Like really little subtle things. Imagine pressing a trigger to raise your shield to block, but all the while the controller makes the trigger only stop half way. And then pressing it the rest of the way enables a shield based attack/parry or push. 

I can't take anyone seriously when they carelessly throw out the word gimmick as if it's some bad word without knowing what the word means. Consoles themselves are a gimmick. Stop using the word in a way if you don't even know what it means. A gimmick is a device used to attract attention and publicity. Business. Gamers really know how to fall for the wrong uses of terms thanks to forums and the industry ruining them. Words like gimmick. Cinematic. Innovative. STOP FALLING FOR IT! ROFL

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Anxious to see what they will do with the controller.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shadow1980 said:
While most innovations in tech used in controllers don't stand the test of time, these newer developments in haptic feedback are something that could definitely have lasting impact if they provide significant enough utilitarian value. Rumble was originally seen as something of a gimmick when Nintendo introduced the Rumble Pak in early-mid 1997 and Sony followed suit a few months later with the DualShock. But rumble remained as a standard method of feedback in most games to this very day. Personally, I've found it to be quite useful. For example, when playing Halo and other shooters, rumble provides additional feedback letting the player know they're taking damage. The lack of said feedback (such as when the battery is running low) sometimes causes me issues, namely a "Holy crap, I'm getting shot at" reaction. That physical impulse is more readily noticeable than any graphical feedback on the screen.

Dual screens, touchpads, motion controls, and other innovations, even ones that were once popular, have not stood the test of time. Some have seen limited use in recent years, while others are gone entirely. Controller tech, especially as utilized by game devs, seems to want to keep things more or less close to the standard that has defined the past 20 years. But rumble did stand the test of time, and further advancements in haptics could do so as well. But it'll depend on how it's implemented.

Rumble pre-dates N64

Shadow1980 said:
While most innovations in tech used in controllers don't stand the test of time, these newer developments in haptic feedback are something that could definitely have lasting impact if they provide significant enough utilitarian value. Rumble was originally seen as something of a gimmick when Nintendo introduced the Rumble Pak in early-mid 1997 and Sony followed suit a few months later with the DualShock. But rumble remained as a standard method of feedback in most games to this very day. Personally, I've found it to be quite useful. For example, when playing Halo and other shooters, rumble provides additional feedback letting the player know they're taking damage. The lack of said feedback (such as when the battery is running low) sometimes causes me issues, namely a "Holy crap, I'm getting shot at" reaction. That physical impulse is more readily noticeable than any graphical feedback on the screen.

Dual screens, touchpads, motion controls, and other innovations, even ones that were once popular, have not stood the test of time. Some have seen limited use in recent years, while others are gone entirely. Controller tech, especially as utilized by game devs, seems to want to keep things more or less close to the standard that has defined the past 20 years. But rumble did stand the test of time, and further advancements in haptics could do so as well. But it'll depend on how it's implemented.

Even the touch pad on several sony exclusives have been kept use in good ways, for some 3rd party games it was mostly used for quick opening of map or similar though (but well it have to work on xbox and other systems that don't have it so it can't really be fully utilized).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Shadow1980 said:
Leynos said:

Rumble pre-dates N64

True, but it didn't become standard and commonplace until after the Rumble Pak and DualShock. It's like motion controls. Those date back at least to the NES on consoles, and existed in arcades even before that, but they weren't popularized and made mainstream on consoles until the Wii debuted. There's a difference between creating and popularizing something, and Nintendo & Sony did the latter in 1997 even if the tech itself is much older (notice that I didn't say Nintendo introduced rumble itself, only the Rumble Pak, which fully brought rumble to mainstream attention).

Like despise the movement sensors in NES, there were also movement sensor and pads for PS2 (I have it) made by 3rd party, PS2 also had the eyetoy, sixaxis had motion sensor on it, but no one can deny that Wii made it something popular.

Yeah, Wii made it popular. Just people credit them as first when U-Force and SEGA Activator existed before. Or Sony EyeToy as the first home console camera when it was dreameye. Not to mention the DC Fishing controller. Nintendo is given the false credit of first console with analog. That was Vectrex. Plus SEGA Genesis had a dual analog controller. More popular brands popularized them. Just a peeve to see them credited as first.