By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devs Talk about the Dual Sense Controller

DEMON SOULS
With the DualSense wireless controller and the power of haptics, we can make the combat [in Demon’s Souls] feel grittier, darker, and deadlier. Now you feel every blow as you strike down your enemies and cast each spell. You’ll experience the force of a titanic boss’ attack as you pull off a well-timed guard. Metal strikes metal when your foes block your attacks or you block theirs. That extra sensory feedback through the controller allows you to know your attack hit home and your perfectly-timed parry was a success, so you can react faster and more decisively.

We can also turn the simple act of pulling a lever to open a gate into a sensory experience. This is something that rumble could never do. It could never replicate the feeling of metal striking metal or fire crackling in your hand as you conjure magic. Haptics [are] integral to the experience, to immersing the player in the world and adding to the gameplay. The visual, aural, and tactile working together takes this new generation of gaming into the future. — Gavin Moore // Creative Director, SIE Japan Studio

RATCHET & CLANK 
The adaptive triggers are something we’re excited to feature [in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart]! For instance, the Enforcer is a dual-barreled shotgun type weapon. As you pull the trigger, you’ll fire from one barrel, and you can feel resistance around halfway down the trigger. Need a bigger blast? Pull the trigger through that resistance point and you’ll fire both barrels at the same time. 
— Marcus Smith // Creative Director, Insomniac Games

DEATHLOOP
I’m really excited by the adaptive triggers and the haptic feedback, both features that will bring some physicality in game experiences, and give important feedback. Deathloop being a first-person shooter, we do a lot of things to make weapons feel differently from one another. One I like is blocking the triggers when your weapon jams, to give to the player an immediate feedback even before the animation plays out, which prompts the player in a physical way that they have to unjam their gun. 
–Dinga Bakaba // Game Director, Deathloop

SPIDERMAN
“The haptic feedback precision allows us to do all sorts of new things. In Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, we’ll be hinting to players which direction attacks are coming from by providing haptic feedback from the appropriate direction on the DualSense wireless controller. What does it feel like to use Miles’s stealth ability? How does a Venom Blast feel? Because of the high resolution of DualSense wireless controller’s haptics system, we can really push the dimensionality of the feedback. For instance, as you hold down Square to do a Venom Punch, you feel Spider-Man’s bio-electricity crackle across from the left side of the controller, culminating in the right side on impact.” 
–Brian Horton // Creative Director, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

More at the PS Blog

Around the Network

Hmm, have to try it to come to a good opinion. Sounds a gimmick so far.

Random_Matt said:

I couldn't disagree more.

To me, a gimmick is something that's there but doesn't need to be there and doesn't add or take away anything from the core experience of a game. It could even be said that it makes a simple thing more complicated, convoluted or is redundant.

I can see meaningful ways that the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers can be used that could add a layer of immersion, feedback and mechanics to games that once done, would become industry standards or expectations. And that is in no way what a gimmick is. Eg. just off the top of my head...

1. Jamming the trigger(s) when you are out of ammunition. This replaces the visual cue of onscreen ammo counts and removes the need for a player to have to visibly keep track of their ammunition. And instead uses a physical cue of having your trigger lockup so you know you feed to change your clip. This can be expanded into having games that don't even do the whole you have 30/120 rounds of bullets left. But instead does, you have 1/4 clips left, and adds a more sim like a mechanic for ammo reloads where you have to keep mental track of how many rounds you potentially have left I your ma and switch clips before it locks out mid-fight. And rather than have the trigger just lockout, your last 5 rounds can make the trigger "push back" serving as a physical cue that you are about to run out of ammo.

This could've used for games with a  more sim like approach to gunplay eg. Rainbow Six...etc.

2. Giving you physical cues as to where fire/enemies are by triggering subtle vibrations tied to the direction of the enemy. So you don't have to wait till you get shot, then see splashes of color on the side of the screen saying to you that is where the fire is coming from. Instead, your controller will just vibrate in a way that tells you exactly where the threat is.

3. Power gauges or charge inputs. Rather than look at a meter on the screen get full, the haptics in the controller can simulate the effect physically in your palms. Eg. You wanna take a shot in a soccer game. Hold down the shot button to change your shot before letting it go. Now, once you hold down the button subtle vibrations can start from the opposite side of the controller, working it way towards where the button is being held to let you feel just how much power you're putting into that shot (or charged attack).

4. Picking locks. Or things with a similar gameplay mechanic. Typically, this would mean you moving the thumbstick around and using vibration cues to know when you are about to snap your lock. Now, moving the stick around creates clockwise/counterclockwise vibrations in the entire pad. And at points where the vibration is stronger you an feel that there is a pin there to move.

5. Driving games. Now grip and braking force can be simulated in the controller. Imagine taking Saturn and being able to feel via your controller which ide of the ar is having the most grip and which part isn't. Eg.. f you are about to spin ut and the vibrations are towards the front of the controller, you know the front has grip and using steering can course correct. If the back is vibrating you know steering won't save you and you are better off braking.

These are all just random examples off the top of my head and I am certain devs can do and expand more. But the point is, I can see a lot of ways that it would make the actual experience and mechanics of playing games better. The first time in COD when you can tell which direction a running enemy is coming from simply by your controller haptic vibrating in the direction of the enemy before you even see him on screen without having to use your map. Then this wouldn't be a gimmick anymore lol. It would even make people change how they play and not just run around all the time so as to not give away their position.

not like you hear footsteps before that or is the PS5 audio not good enough?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Sounds like what some devs said about the HD rumble on the switch. Some games it is kinda neat but for the most part, it fades into the background for me. We will see if this one ends up grabbing my attention more.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

What?

I'd like to get hands on with the controller to form an opinion. Even if the haptics offer only a subtle improvement over whats in the DS4, I'd be happy.

This is just marketing talk though. 

zero129 said:
Random_Matt said:

What?, are you one of the ones who also thought Rumble was a gimmick?.

you mean it isn't?

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
zero129 said:

What?, are you one of the ones who also thought Rumble was a gimmick?.

you mean it isn't?

Can't tell if serious.

I mean... I get some people think it's cool to call every new thing a gimmick, but there are undeniable gameplay mechanics or improvements that can be made possible from this controller. Especially the adaptive triggers.

If things go as I think they can, we are likely going to see adaptive triggers become a standard feature in all controllers ging forward (like was the case with dual analog sticks) unless sony has a patent on it preventing anyone else from doing it.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 20 August 2020

Intrinsic said:
kirby007 said:

you mean it isn't?

Can't tell if serious.

I mean... I get some people think it's cool to call every new thing a gimmick, but there are undeniable gameplay mechanics or improvements that can be made possible from this controller. Especially the adaptive triggers.

If things go as I think they can, we are likely going to see adaptive triggers become a standard feature in all controllers ging forward (like was the case with dual analog sticks) unless sony has a patent on it preventing anyone else from doing it.

you bet your ass i untick enable vibration where possible

Dallinor said:
kirby007 said:

What?

I'd like to get hands on with the controller to form an opinion. Even if the haptics offer only a subtle improvement over whats in the DS4, I'd be happy.

This is just marketing talk though. 

if you feel someone before you hear them shits wrong