By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devs Talk about the Dual Sense Controller

Haptic feedback, right on. The Triggers seem cool but I'll be ticked if they break. I could see a controller drop at the wrong time wrecking the things. "Oh you'll just have to be careful" you say. I have moron kids that drop crap and am occasionally struck by clumsy myself.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
I can't take anyone seriously when they carelessly throw out the word gimmick as if it's some bad word without knowing what the word means. Consoles themselves are a gimmick. Stop using the word in a way if you don't even know what it means. A gimmick is a device used to attract attention and publicity. Business. Gamers really know how to fall for the wrong uses of terms thanks to forums and the industry ruining them. Words like gimmick. Cinematic. Innovative. STOP FALLING FOR IT! ROFL

I don't know what your problem is... but you are making a fool of yourself. 

initially, I was just gonna ignore certain low handed remarks you were making as opposed to just making your point... but since you are trying to call everyone out like some srt of smart person...

First off, consoles aren't gimmicks. By definition; a gimmick is a trick, or device intended to attract attention, publicity or business. A game console is a game console. It can be used in application as a gimmick, say you put one in an arcade or amusement park or even in a hospital ward. But it is of itself not inherently a gimmick. 

Talking bout features in a controller? Can be considered a gimmick if its talk just used to draw up attention or just a trick if that feature ends having no real significance to gaming or the platform. 

I would suggest that you consider the context within which certain things are used and said. "Cinematic" for instance means something slightly different for gamers than it does in the movies even though in both cases they share the same roots. For gamers, saying cinematic just usually means that the game presentation as akin to what you would find in a movie and is almost filmic.

Leynos said:
I can't take anyone seriously when they carelessly throw out the word gimmick as if it's some bad word without knowing what the word means. Consoles themselves are a gimmick. Stop using the word in a way if you don't even know what it means. A gimmick is a device used to attract attention and publicity. Business. Gamers really know how to fall for the wrong uses of terms thanks to forums and the industry ruining them. Words like gimmick. Cinematic. Innovative. STOP FALLING FOR IT! ROFL

So you are mad people are arguing that these two features aren't gimmicks?  By the definition you posted these features are very much a "look what I have", "look over here" type thing. Asking for a friend.

I would argue though that the consoles are a product that may have features that are a gimmick.  It is a product for playing software ("where the real money from the movie is made" - Master Yogurt). Perhaps with subscription services now being a focus I would perhaps call the console itself a gimmick ... it just feels like a stretch. 

Otherwise every physical product would be a gimmick aimed at getting a company attention.

Car - gimmick

Hershey's Kiss -gimmick

Sorry your definition feels a little too broad with the inclusion of consoles (a physical product with features) as a gimmick.  The features of a product could be a gimmick.  

A trick or device used to attract attention, publicity or business is the definition google gives you. 

I would consider the inflatable wacky wavy arm guy to be a device who's sole purpose is to gain people's attention. It is hard to nail down someone's intent when it comes to features. 

I think it may just boil down to perspective, for some these features will add nothing and therefore feel like a trick used to get their attention and dollars but for others they may be a fantastic addition to the overall experience.

You're both wrong and I am mad. Yea definition if what a word means. It's not what gamers invent to use forums to put something down as something negative to suit them. And again these features will mainly be abandoned as always. End of.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
You're both wrong and I am mad. Yea definition if what a word means. It's not what gamers invent to use forums to put something down as something negative to suit them. And again these features will mainly be abandoned as always. End of.

LOL you are completely discounting perspective.

You hit a boxer with a 200 PSI punch and they will not think it is a hard hit.  You punch a 80 year old in the face at 200 PSI and they will more likely think you hit them hard.

The word hard and it's definition does not change but the perspective of the two individuals will be different. Take the word spicy for instance if you don't like my crap punching analogy, perspective plays a big role in what one person to the next considers spicy.

Around the Network

Is there anything wrong with a gimmick as long as it provides substance or enhancements to the experience? And for the record, rumble is a secondary feature in my book. I'm not going to knock it because it can be used to enhance the experience, but it was never a deciding factor when buying a controller/console. When I buy a controller, I always think comfort, first. Then, I might think of the color. And honestly now that I think about it, I don't think about rumble. So I don't think about rumble when I think about rumble. Paradox?

I remember when I loved rumble. And then I turned it off to actually be able to play the game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

dual sense might surprise all of us in the end,
or might disappoint as well haha keep ur hopes up!

It does sound a bit gimmicky. But on the other hand, I do prefer gaming with a controller over mouse and keyboard because of the the rumble feedback. So who knows, maybe it will actually add something to the gaming experience. The 3D audio seems a lot more exciting to me, though.

The_Yoda said:
Leynos said:

LOL you are completely discounting perspective.

You hit a boxer with a 200 PSI punch and they will not think it is a hard hit.  You punch a 80 year old in the face at 200 PSI and they will more likely think you hit them hard.

The word hard and it's definition does not change but the perspective of the two individuals will be different. Take the word spicy for instance if you don't like my crap punching analogy, perspective plays a big role in what one person to the next considers spicy.

Context for words is paramount, there are plenty of words that change meaning depending on the context.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."