By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 2022 NBA Offseason - Rest in Peace Bill Russell

Unless you are super ambidextrous you always need to shoot with your dominant hand Ben Simmons just needs to shoot his shots with his dominant right hand and his shooting and free throw percentage will improve a great deal. Since Durant and Harden will play in the Olympics they will come back with a vengeance next season.  Also I completely agree with Colin Cowherd trading Ben Simmons for Draymond Green makes perfect sense and it would benefit both teams.

Last edited by Chris Hu - on 22 June 2021

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

Unless you are super ambidextrous you always need to shoot with your dominant hand Ben Simmons just needs to shoot his shots with his dominant right hand and his shooting and free throw percentage will improve a great deal. Since Durant and Harden will play in the Olympics they will come back with a vengeance next season.  Also I completely agree with Colin Cowherd trading Ben Simmons for Draymond Green makes perfect sense and it would benefit both teams.

"Unless you are super ambidextrous you always need to shoot with your dominant hand Ben Simmons just needs to shoot his shots with his dominant right hand and his shooting and free throw percentage will improve a great deal."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lebron-james-lefty-mixed-handed-11620954356

"Since Durant and Harden will play in the Olympics they will come back with a vengeance next season."

What does the Olympics have to do with that? If anything, that will leave them more worn out from not having a full offseason. Losing in the semifinals should be motivation enough.

"Also I completely agree with Colin Cowherd trading Ben Simmons for Draymond Green makes perfect sense and it would benefit both teams."

I'd love to hear your/Cowherd's take on that. I feel like Draymond Green only worked in that situation he was in, but I may be missing something.

Chris Hu said:

Ok, so here's my question? 

Why the Hell doesn't he just shoot right-handed from the start? If it were that simple, he would've done it a LONG time ago and this wouldn't be an issue. Like I said, this goes beyond just a proper shooting form or shooting motion. It's mental. He just does not want to shoot the ball. With EITHER hand. It's an internal issue with him. Either because he's scared or he simply just doesn't want to, he will not shoot the ball. Which leads to me to your second point and that a trade with to the Warriors may actually the best option for Simmons.

Putting Simmons on the court with Andrew Wiggins, a returning Klay Thompson, and Stephen Curry would be the very ideal place for him, because those three guys would be the primary scoring options, and they'd have some second unit guys like Oubre (if they resign him) and Wismen (2nd year, still developing) who could be 4th or 5th options. And Simmons can just be a younger, taller, more athletic version of Draymond and just pass the ball, run the offense, and play elite defense. Just have him bulk up a bit, move him to Power Forward (Point Forward, really) and Golden State will be right back to being a serious title contender. 

However, I'm not sure if that trade will benefit the 76ers. Draymond has the championship and big game experience for sure. But he's not the player he once was. He's lost a step, he's almost as unreliable shooting the ball as Simmons is. Which is a bad thing because on the Sixers, he'd be asked to score and shoot more than he is with the Warriors. And I don't think he'd give them what they are looking for in return for Simmons. If this were the Draymond Green of 2016-2018, then yes, absolutely they should make that trade. But the Draymond Green of 2021? I don't think so. The Sixers need a true superstar/partner-in-crime for Embiid who can take some of the pressure off him.

Because the other big problem, outside of Simmons' shooting, that they have is that when Embiid is hurting or struggling, they have no consistently reliable #2 option. Seth Curry and Tobias Harris are great weapons to have and they'll give you something here and there (like they did in this series), but neither of them are THAT guy who can do it game in and game out, like say... Damian Lillard. That's why I suggested Portland as a possible trading partner and trying to make a packaged deal with Simmons that could possibly bring Lillard to Philly. Because, Lillard and Embiid on the same team as a 1-2 punch? That'd be a nightmare for any team to try to stop in the 4th quarter. 

burninmylight said:
Shaunodon said:

So all you're saying is that the Bucks had all those things going for them, and yet KD was a toe away from practically winning the series by himself. Of course, that's ignoring the major point that if the Bucks had equivalent injuries-- Middleton not playing, Holiday missing most of the series and coming back on one leg --anyone with half a clue knows the Nets win the series easily. So again, how does that have anything to do with being a super team? The Clippers have depth, yet with no Kawhi they're not going to win anything and probably won't even make the finals.

The Bucks are just lucky to be the one team who's stars are mostly healthy and/or not in Covid protocol right now. That excludes the Hawks who only have one real star. So what would be your next point after that glaring hole in your argument? That is was karma for trying to stack too much talent? At least that would have some merit for people that belive in those things, but nothing you're saying now has any sort of reason, which is unsurprising given how emotionally invested you seem to be.

I don't understand the point of your James Harden info dump. I'm aware he was overall a liability the last few games. All I'm saying is that I'm not 100% convinced it's mostly due to injury, and not just regular Playoff Harden.

"Of course, that's ignoring the major point that if the Bucks had equivalent injuries-- Middleton not playing, Holiday missing most of the series and coming back on one leg --"

"The Bucks are just lucky to be the one team who's stars are mostly healthy and/or not in Covid protocol right now."

Injuries are a part of the game, and always have been. The Lakers didn't have LeBron in the playoffs this year. The Suns are missing Chris Paul. The Rockets missed Chris Paul when the took the Warriors to six or seven games a few years ago. The Heat didn't have Goran Dragic for most of the finals last year. Golden State didn't have KD or Klay Thompson the year before that. It's not the Bucks' fault that Brooklyn couldn't play their stars as intended, and it's not the Bucks' fault that Brooklyn's depth was absolutely shot because of its extremely top-heavy roster.

I can't believe that you still need explanation at this point, but here goes: when you sacrifice depth for more stars, you are not only left with giant holes in your roster when those stars are healthy, but craters when those stars are hurt. We can call it karma if trying to make me a strawman makes you feel better about it. I call it history.

"The Clippers have depth, yet with no Kawhi they're not going to win anything and probably won't even make the finals."

The Clippers didn't trade away important starters/role players that would have played big minutes in the playoffs to acquire Kawhi Leonard, did they? They signed him and Paul George off the street.

What would be your next point after that glaring hole in your argument?

I'm won't even bother addressing most of this, because I can already see I'm wasting my time. I just have to point out the glaring irony of accusing someone for using a strawman, to immediately use a strawman yourself in the next point-- how exactly does signing Kawhi and PG13 (incorrect btw, that was a trade) as free agents, not losing their depth, have anything to do with my point? The point is that having depth doesn't matter if you lose one of your most important stars, and especially if you lose multiple stars. Even if the Clippers lost PG13 instead of Kawhi, they'd have a better shot at making the finals, but would still be very unlikely to win it.

If the Bucks had equivalent injuries to the Nets, it's not simply 'well we'll never know what could've been'; it's already proven that Giannis is a mediocre jump shooter who struggles late in big playoff games and has free throw demons. If he couldn't rely on those other star playmakers during the last 2 games to close out and had to be the primary option every possession, the Bucks lose. The fact you can go from saying "Harden was poor, but still better then the next option", admit that Durant was literally a toe away from sending the Bucks into a deep offseason restrucure, and then somehow believe "well we'll never know what could've happened" (if the Bucks were missing two stars) in that same game, just shows how warped your logic is.

burninmylight said:
Chris Hu said:

"Unless you are super ambidextrous you always need to shoot with your dominant hand Ben Simmons just needs to shoot his shots with his dominant right hand and his shooting and free throw percentage will improve a great deal."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lebron-james-lefty-mixed-handed-11620954356

"Since Durant and Harden will play in the Olympics they will come back with a vengeance next season."

What does the Olympics have to do with that? If anything, that will leave them more worn out from not having a full offseason. Losing in the semifinals should be motivation enough.

"Also I completely agree with Colin Cowherd trading Ben Simmons for Draymond Green makes perfect sense and it would benefit both teams."

I'd love to hear your/Cowherd's take on that. I feel like Draymond Green only worked in that situation he was in, but I may be missing something.

LeBron James is left handed but he is also super ambidextrous since he can use his right hand as much as left hand the video that I posted earlier also mentions James and points out that he can pretty much do everything with his right hand also like bowl or throw a baseball.  By playing in the Olympics they will be in better shape then most players that do nothing in the off season its going to be more beneficial for Harden then Durant though since he started this season out of shape which is not going to be the case next season.  I think the Simmons for Green would work a bit better for Golden State since Simmons pretty much would have the same role as Green has on Golden State now.  For the 76ers Green could have a similar role to Simmons until they find a true point guard.  The Warriors would have to add something else for it to work out financially though.   

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Chris Hu said:

Why the Hell doesn't he just shoot right-handed from the start? If it were that simple, he would've done it a LONG time ago and this wouldn't be an issue. Like I said, this goes beyond just a proper shooting form or shooting motion. It's mental. He just does not want to shoot the ball. With EITHER hand. It's an internal issue with him. Either because he's scared or he simply just doesn't want to, he will not shoot the ball. Which leads to me to your second point and that a trade with to the Warriors may actually the best option for Simmons.

Putting Simmons on the court with Andrew Wiggins, a returning Klay Thompson, and Stephen Curry would be the very ideal place for him, because those three guys would be the primary scoring options, and they'd have some second unit guys like Oubre (if they resign him) and Wismen (2nd year, still developing) who could be 4th or 5th options. And Simmons can just be a younger, taller, more athletic version of Draymond and just pass the ball, run the offense, and play elite defense. Just have him bulk up a bit, move him to Power Forward (Point Forward, really) and Golden State will be right back to being a serious title contender. 

However, I'm not sure if that trade will benefit the 76ers. Draymond has the championship and big game experience for sure. But he's not the player he once was. He's lost a step, he's almost as unreliable shooting the ball as Simmons is. Which is a bad thing because on the Sixers, he'd be asked to score and shoot more than he is with the Warriors. And I don't think he'd give them what they are looking for in return for Simmons. If this were the Draymond Green of 2016-2018, then yes, absolutely they should make that trade. But the Draymond Green of 2021? I don't think so. The Sixers need a true superstar/partner-in-crime for Embiid who can take some of the pressure off him.

Because the other big problem, outside of Simmons' shooting, that they have is that when Embiid is hurting or struggling, they have no consistently reliable #2 option. Seth Curry and Tobias Harris are great weapons to have and they'll give you something here and there (like they did in this series), but neither of them are THAT guy who can do it game in and game out, like say... Damian Lillard. That's why I suggested Portland as a possible trading partner and trying to make a packaged deal with Simmons that could possibly bring Lillard to Philly. Because, Lillard and Embiid on the same team as a 1-2 punch? That'd be a nightmare for any team to try to stop in the 4th quarter. 

There is no way Portland would trade Lillard for Simmons but if you purely want to trade similar salaries they have the perfect fit for that scenario they could trade C.J. McCullum for Ben Simmons.

Chris Hu said:
PAOerfulone said:

There is no way Portland would trade Lillard for Simmons but if you purely want to trade similar salaries they have the perfect fit for that scenario they could trade C.J. McCullum for Ben Simmons.

Man right not I am not even sure I would take Simmons for C.J. . Portland might be better off trying to improve their defence through some other method

burninmylight said:
KLAMarine said:

Watched replay, Kyrie wasn't flailing or anything. Giannis did him dirty. The only consolation for me is how Durant benefited from Zaza injuring Kawhi in 2017 and now it went against him.

I didn't say flail, I said flare. Flail would suggest he was waving his limbs around like a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Tube Man. By "flare", I meant that he extended his legs out on his way down from the FG attempt at the goal. Watch the replay one more time. Look at his left leg. That's not a natural landing motion. It would be one thing if he was attempting a dunk or layup off of a fastbreak, where momentum can cause you to do some unusual things in trying to gather yourself, but he was essentially shooting a jumper right at the basket. Some people think that Irving was trying to draw contact by kicking his leg out. I'm not convinced of that, but it's still not a natural motion, and coming straight down with both legs would have made more sense.

https://youtu.be/fXBttjSVF3o?t=40

Also, look at where Giannis is focused during the entire play. Notice how he's not looking at Kyrie at all, especially his lower body. He's solely focused on squaring up for a potential rebound. Eyes are intently on the goal. How would he be able to slide his foot under a man that is slightly behind him that he can't even see? If he wanted to hurt Irving, wouldn't he need to at least be looking in his general direction to see where he would land to get his foot in the right place? If anything, Irving would have been better off if Giannis WAS trying to hurt him, because then Giannis would have guessed wrong due to Irving's weird kick-out of his left leg.

Also also, the Zaza rule only applies to jump shooters beyond the arc. The defender has to slide his foot under the defender in an unnatural way. This play happened right at the rim, and as anyone can plainly see, Giiannis wasn't closing out on the shooter, he was positioning for a rebound. Giannis didn't do anything dirty. Freak injuries occasionally happen in basketball.

If you think that play is dirty, then tell me if you think this play is dirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_I89VejE0c

Looking forward to your honest answer.

Dunno, surely Giannis has a general idea of where Kyrie is and where his legs are thus has an idea of where his feet are coming down. And I see Giannis extending the leg: I don't need to look at my own feet to know where I'm putting them.

Whatever man, I don't like it but what can I do about it? Nothing.

Chris Hu said:

Surely Warriors would never agree to trade Green for Simmons.

Shaunodon said:
burninmylight said:

"Of course, that's ignoring the major point that if the Bucks had equivalent injuries-- Middleton not playing, Holiday missing most of the series and coming back on one leg --"

"The Bucks are just lucky to be the one team who's stars are mostly healthy and/or not in Covid protocol right now."

Injuries are a part of the game, and always have been. The Lakers didn't have LeBron in the playoffs this year. The Suns are missing Chris Paul. The Rockets missed Chris Paul when the took the Warriors to six or seven games a few years ago. The Heat didn't have Goran Dragic for most of the finals last year. Golden State didn't have KD or Klay Thompson the year before that. It's not the Bucks' fault that Brooklyn couldn't play their stars as intended, and it's not the Bucks' fault that Brooklyn's depth was absolutely shot because of its extremely top-heavy roster.

I can't believe that you still need explanation at this point, but here goes: when you sacrifice depth for more stars, you are not only left with giant holes in your roster when those stars are healthy, but craters when those stars are hurt. We can call it karma if trying to make me a strawman makes you feel better about it. I call it history.

"The Clippers have depth, yet with no Kawhi they're not going to win anything and probably won't even make the finals."

The Clippers didn't trade away important starters/role players that would have played big minutes in the playoffs to acquire Kawhi Leonard, did they? They signed him and Paul George off the street.

What would be your next point after that glaring hole in your argument?

I'm won't even bother addressing most of this, because I can already see I'm wasting my time. I just have to point out the glaring irony of accusing someone for using a strawman, to immediately use a strawman yourself in the next point-- how exactly does signing Kawhi and PG13 (incorrect btw, that was a trade) as free agents, not losing their depth, have anything to do with my point? The point is that having depth doesn't matter if you lose one of your most important stars, and especially if you lose multiple stars. Even if the Clippers lost PG13 instead of Kawhi, they'd have a better shot at making the finals, but would still be very unlikely to win it.

If the Bucks had equivalent injuries to the Nets, it's not simply 'well we'll never know what could've been'; it's already proven that Giannis is a mediocre jump shooter who struggles late in big playoff games and has free throw demons. If he couldn't rely on those other star playmakers during the last 2 games to close out and had to be the primary option every possession, the Bucks lose. The fact you can go from saying "Harden was poor, but still better then the next option", admit that Durant was literally a toe away from sending the Bucks into a deep offseason restrucure, and then somehow believe "well we'll never know what could've happened" (if the Bucks were missing two stars) in that same game, just shows how warped your logic is.

You won't bother addressing most of it because you have yet to actually state anything meaningful, so you'd prefer to cherrypick the parts that require the least amount of fack-checking or actual effort to look things up on your part.

I forgot that LAC traded for Paul George, I will give you that (and traded away Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Danillo Gallinari, and five first rounders - that absolutely hurt their immediate and future depth). Point still stands that they signed Kawhi off the street, so they gave up nothing to acquire him. I put that in bold since you're still asking what that has to do with your point.

Yes, losing a star/one of your best players makes you less likely to win games without him. This is not news to anybody. What appears to be news to somebody is that when you give up valuable talent both immediately and for the future to acquire said star, and said star becomes unavailable, that leaves a gigantic hole in your roster. You and Chris Hu have this reductionist logic that all that matters to a team are that they have two "superstars" on the roster like it's NBA Jam in real life, and the contributions from about five-to-seven other players during the playoffs don't matter.

Also, tell me about this amazing Clippers depth:

Outside of Terrance Mann's game of his life, what Clippers rotation player is rising to the occasion? Reggie Jackson? I'm honestly asking, because I'm not too big and proud to admit when I don't watch a team or series. If you're going to make claims, please be prepared to back them up. And making claims equivalent to "Because I said so" won't cut it.

"If the Bucks had equivalent injuries to the Nets, it's not simply 'well we'll never know what could've been'; it's already proven that Giannis is a mediocre jump shooter who struggles late in big playoff games and has free throw demons."

You're proving that you're just another guy who gets all of his BBIQ from pre-game commentators and the jocks on TNT instead of actually watching games. Yes, Giannis is a mediocre jump shooter and has FT demons; guess what? Here is Giannis' FG shooting line across the seven games in this series:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/antetgi01/gamelog-playoffs/

Game 1: 16-24, .667% (34 points total) - 34 points on 24 shots; anyone will take that

Game 2: 8-15, .553% (18 points total) - 18 points on 15 shots; mediocre by Giannis standards

Game 3: 14-31, .452% (33 points total) - 33 points on 31 shots; mediocre by Giannis standards

Game 4: 14-26, .558% (34 points total) - 34 points on 26 shots; anyone will take that

Game 5: 14-22, .636% (34 points total) - 34 points on 22 shots; you pray for that

Game 6: 12-20, .600% (30 points total) - 30 points on 20 shots - you pray for that

Game 7: 15-24, .625% (40 points toal) - 40 points on 24 shots - just insane

Giannis could definitely use a more consistent jump shot, but that doesn't seem to be stopping him from being a humongous offensive force, does it? Shaq never developed a jumper, yet no one ever doubted his acumen.

And about his FTs, here is his line across seven games by percentage: 0%, 29%, 44%, .50%, .57%, .60%, .57%. Outside of Game 7, he shot better over the course of each game. I wouldn't quite say that he's exercised those demons, but he at least slowly rose to the occasion.

Also, way to be reductionist and act like all that matters to the Bucks playoff success his Giannis' jumper and FTs. It's not like other things matter, like his contributions to his team's rebounds, his timely rim protection, his key moments where they were able to somewhat contain KD during stretches mattered, huh? Nope, just the easy narrative that lazy analysts and armchair fans who don't really care to watch games lean on when they need to explain the Bucks.

If you can turn me into a strawman, I can turn you into one too. That's how that works.

But hey, it's a good thing that Giannis had a good TEAM around him to fill in the gaps when he struggles, amirite?! Everybody can't be Kevin Durant!

"Durant was literally a toe away from sending the Bucks into a deep offseason restrucure"

And this statement is the smoking gun that shows how warped your understanding of how the NBA works, and how much  you don't really follow it. The Bucks are completely capped out and can't go into a "deeep offseason restrucure (sic)" because they are hard capped into their current roster; no room to sign free agents beyond minimum salaries, outside of the mid-level exception. They also don't hold many of their own first round draft picks for the forseeable future. Not coincidentally, the Nets are in the exact same boat.

But since you'd prefer to keep up the facade, you're welcome to share some suggestions on ways the Bucks can restructure its roster with key trades and/or FA signings, or what coaching change you feel will unlock the full potential of the current roster. You've been offering such deep, thoughtful analysis thus far.

KLAMarine said:
burninmylight said:

I didn't say flail, I said flare. Flail would suggest he was waving his limbs around like a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Tube Man. By "flare", I meant that he extended his legs out on his way down from the FG attempt at the goal. Watch the replay one more time. Look at his left leg. That's not a natural landing motion. It would be one thing if he was attempting a dunk or layup off of a fastbreak, where momentum can cause you to do some unusual things in trying to gather yourself, but he was essentially shooting a jumper right at the basket. Some people think that Irving was trying to draw contact by kicking his leg out. I'm not convinced of that, but it's still not a natural motion, and coming straight down with both legs would have made more sense.

https://youtu.be/fXBttjSVF3o?t=40

Also, look at where Giannis is focused during the entire play. Notice how he's not looking at Kyrie at all, especially his lower body. He's solely focused on squaring up for a potential rebound. Eyes are intently on the goal. How would he be able to slide his foot under a man that is slightly behind him that he can't even see? If he wanted to hurt Irving, wouldn't he need to at least be looking in his general direction to see where he would land to get his foot in the right place? If anything, Irving would have been better off if Giannis WAS trying to hurt him, because then Giannis would have guessed wrong due to Irving's weird kick-out of his left leg.

Also also, the Zaza rule only applies to jump shooters beyond the arc. The defender has to slide his foot under the defender in an unnatural way. This play happened right at the rim, and as anyone can plainly see, Giiannis wasn't closing out on the shooter, he was positioning for a rebound. Giannis didn't do anything dirty. Freak injuries occasionally happen in basketball.

If you think that play is dirty, then tell me if you think this play is dirty:

Looking forward to your honest answer.

Dunno, surely Giannis has a general idea of where Kyrie is and where his legs are thus has an idea of where his feet are coming down. And I see Giannis extending the leg: I don't need to look at my own feet to know where I'm putting them.

Whatever man, I don't like it but what can I do about it? Nothing.

Yes, Giannis has a general idea of where Kyrie is. But how is he supposed to know exactly where Kyrie's legs are when Kyrie is 1) behind his right shoulder 2) where Giannis can't see him while he's focused on the rim because he's going for the rebound 3) in mid-air, so he has no idea where Kyrie will land, other than assuming Kyrie will come straight down from a jump shot 4) Kyrie is kicking out his left leg?

You don't need to look at your own feet to know where you're putting them. Do you need to look at mine to know where I'm putting mine if I'm not in your line of sight? How much more so when you're not focusing on me, but on something else?

Also, you never answered my question from my previous reply. Tell me if you consider this a dirty play:

Spoiler!
I don't think it was dirty at all. I don't like it either, and I hope it doesn't have any long-term ramifications on Irving's career, but it's basketball. I stopped playing in 6th grade when the exact same thing happened to me and I wound up with a broken nose.
Last edited by burninmylight - on 22 June 2021