By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 2022 NBA Offseason - Rest in Peace Bill Russell

My nerves have been fried since after Game 5; I had to take a break from talking about basketball period, and I have been on edge all day long until the final buzzer of this Bucks-Nets series.

There is so much I could say about this series, but right now, I just don't feel like it. Let me celebrate instead, lol.

I've been waiting 20 years to see my team avenge its ECF loss to the Sixers, let's go!

EDIT: I forgot that we have to wait to see the winner between Sixers-Hawks, lol!

Last edited by burninmylight - on 20 June 2021

Around the Network

What KD did this series, really this whole season, after coming off a torn Achilles, is nothing short of spectacular. He is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of player and as basketball fans, we're gonna miss him when he's gone. Absolutely incredible. No shame whatsoever in the way he went down tonight. He gave absolutely everything he had and went out swinging. Probably the greatest game I've ever seen from him despite the loss.

PAOerfulone said:

What KD did this series, really this whole season, after coming off a torn Achilles, is nothing short of spectacular. He is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of player and as basketball fans, we're gonna miss him when he's gone. Absolutely incredible. No shame whatsoever in the way he went down tonight. He gave absolutely everything he had and went out swinging. Probably the greatest game I've ever seen from him despite the loss.

Well said. This entire series from KD is more impressive than anything he did in Golden State, in my opinion.

This whole series was an all-time classic thanks to the likes of him, and should be remembered as such.

Chris Hu said:

Well that sucks but it hard to win a game when no one on the bench scores any points even if all your starters play great.

But you said all that mattered is that KD, Kyrie and Harden are better than Giannis and Jrue Holliday? :)

Just messing with you; you don't have to explain the circumstances of the series, I am well aware. I can only joke like this now because it's over and my poor heart can chill out.

But regarding your comment about the Brooklyn bench, as a wise man once said,

LudicrousSpeed said:

Meh, that's what happens when you try to build a super team, you have to rely too hard on the stars. Always great to see the super teams fail.

I think Bucks will make the finals because Ben Simmons sucks and it pains me to say it because I'm an Aussie

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

Meh, that's what happens when you try to build a super team, you have to rely too hard on the stars. Always great to see the super teams fail.

And how exactly is it a result of them being a super team? If Middleton was injured and Holiday was playing on one league, you believe the Bucks still win this series?

One team was healthy and one team wasn't. During the first 5 games, the Bucks played so awfully I thought just having Harden on the floor would be enough for Nets to still progress. During the last 2 games though, the Bucks and Giannis in particular made the adjustments they needed to play more like people expected them to. The Nets also had great shooters who went completely cold at the worst time. It's not like the right guys weren't out there on the floor, getting open shots when they needed. All that said, Durant was still an inch away from having one of the greatest series wins in NBA history, as far as his performances.

Also, I don't know how bad Harden's hamstring was affecting him. All I know is I've seen him in big playoff games before and his performances didn't look too different.

Who knows if they still win the series. But I’d give them a better chance than a super team that relies on a few good players and a bunch of cheap hired guns. They have no chemistry and really no identity. Exceptions of course apply, like when Durant made that bitch move and went to GS. They were already a super team but were that way organically. So they just add one of the leagues best players and they had success.

Maybe Brooklyn sees success but who knows. Two of their three aren’t getting any younger and all three have injury issues. Also one of them is James Harden.

I hate how Giannis injured Kyrie. Dirty.

Shaunodon said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

And how exactly is it a result of them being a super team? If Middleton was injured and Holiday was playing on one league, you believe the Bucks still win this series?

One team was healthy and one team wasn't. During the first 5 games, the Bucks played so awfully I thought just having Harden on the floor would be enough for Nets to still progress. During the last 2 games though, the Bucks and Giannis in particular made the adjustments they needed to play more like people expected them to. The Nets also had great shooters who went completely cold at the worst time. It's not like the right guys weren't out there on the floor, getting open shots when they needed. All that said, Durant was still an inch away from having one of the greatest series wins in NBA history, as far as his performances.

Also, I don't know how bad Harden's hamstring was affecting him. All I know is I've seen him in big playoff games before and his performances didn't look too different.

"And how exactly is it a result of them being a super team?"

I'll tell you how. They traded away great depth in guys like Caris Levert and Jarrett Allen to make room for Harden a year after spending all of their cap space on Irving, Durant and the ghost of DeAndre Jordan. So outside of Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie, the rest of the roster is made up of minimum salary guys you can get from a scrap heap like Mike James, Tyler Johnson and TLC, guys on rookie contracts like Nic Claxton, and vets that may or may not be washed up, but definitely well past their prime like Jeff Green and Blake Griffin.

Not saying it was a bad plan. Any team in the league would have and should have done it, but as LudicrousSpeed was alluding to, when you're a top-heavy team like Brooklyn and those stars go down, it hurts you far more than a roster with a bit more depth. The only reason the series even came down to seven games, let alone OT in Game 7, was due to the pure brilliance of Durant. If he was the one that rolled his ankle or pulled his hamstring instead of Irving or Harden, it would have been over quicker.

"During the first 5 games, the Bucks played so awfully I thought just having Harden on the floor would be enough for Nets to still progress."

"Also, I don't know how bad Harden's hamstring was affecting him."

Nope. Up until Game 7, the home team in each games played well, and the road team didn't. You're probably basing your opinion on Game 2, where the Nets beat the crap out of the Bucks, but I will remind you of Game 4, where it was the other way around (don't let the final score fool you).

Ragarding Harden, did you actually watch Game 5, or at least look at a box score?

James Harden: 1-10 FG, 0-8 3PA, five points total, eight assists and four turnovers in 46 minutes. He absolutely hurt his team. He did finish with a +4 plus/minus, but chalk that up to spending so much time on the floor with Durant.

Game 6: 5-9 FG, 3-6 3PA, 16 points, seven assists and four TOs in 40 minutes. Much better than the previous game, but still not Harden-like production. -19 plus/minus, but no Nets player in the normal rotation had a positive +/-.

Game 7: 5-17 FG, 2-12 3PA, 10-10 FTA, 22 points total, 9 assists, four TOs, -4 +/-. When he wasn't getting help from refs early in the games, he was helping the Bucks stay in the game.

I would say that having Harden on the floor hurt the Nets more than helped, but with so little depth behind him, James Harden at 40 percent is probably still better than Tyler Johnson and Mike James at 100 percent.

But that's what happens when you build a superteam through free agency and lopsided trades. You rely too hard on the stars. If they get hurt or hobbled, so does your championship odds.

"During the last 2 games though, the Bucks and Giannis in particular made the adjustments they needed to play more like people expected them to."

I'd love to read your breakdown on these adjustments.

KLAMarine said:

I hate how Giannis injured Kyrie. Dirty.

Yeah, how dare he get in position for a potential rebound and get his feet set under the goal while Kyrie flares his limbs out like Pac-Man's death/KO animation!

Want to know who disagrees with us? Kyrie's coach: https://clutchpoints.com/nets-news-steve-nash-reveals-true-feelings-on-giannis-antetokounmpo-move-that-injured-kyrie-irving/