By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which next gen full power console will be cheaper?

Which next gen full power console will be cheapest?

PS5 without disc drive 39 63.93%

PS5 2 3.28%

Xbox Series X 20 32.79%

Total:61

With both console makers holding up to reveal the price much speculation have been made. So let's place our bets on which will be cheaper.

The competition will be between Xbox Series X, Playstation 5 and Playstation 5 without disc drive.

Series S is being removed from the discussion because it haven't been confirmed yet and that since it will be a lot less powerful than the other three (per rumor). Switch is also not part of the discussion because it already released and besides power it also will be significantly cheaper than the 3 without doubt (possibly even cheaper than Series S by the time it launches, well Lite for sure will).

For me it will be PS5 discless cheapest of the three and Series X most expensive of the 3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

i miss the option both 499

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
i miss the option both 499

Can both be used for 3? And would be strange to see Sony doing discless for the same price as the one with disc, unless they put more memory on that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Of the PS5, PS5DE and XSX, surely the PS5DE will be the cheapest of the three. There is just no way that sony will make either of their PS5s more expensive than the XSX.

Funny enough, I think why both companies are holding onto their pricing cards is actually because f the XSX. And MS being concerned about what sony can do.

This is my theory. MS wants to come in at $499 with the XSX, and that's all well and good if sony is also going to come in at $499 with the PS5. But there is that looming possibility that sony could actually price the PS5 at $449 and the PS5DE at $399. Making the XSX the most expensive console on the market, which is something I feel MS doesn't want to happen at any cost.

The XSS will be $299-$349... but that's easy to fight cause it would be considered the weakest console. May even be referred to as a non 4K console. But it would be hard to show the difference between the PS5 (any model) and the XSX.

Intrinsic said:
Of the PS5, PS5DE and XSX, surely the PS5DE will be the cheapest of the three. There is just no way that sony will make either of their PS5s more expensive than the XSX.

Funny enough, I think why both companies are holding onto their pricing cards is actually because f the XSX. And MS being concerned about what sony can do.

This is my theory. MS wants to come in at $499 with the XSX, and that's all well and good if sony is also going to come in at $499 with the PS5. But there is that looming possibility that sony could actually price the PS5 at $449 and the PS5DE at $399. Making the XSX the most expensive console on the market, which is something I feel MS doesn't want to happen at any cost.

The XSS will be $299-$349... but that's easy to fight cause it would be considered the weakest console. May even be referred to as a non 4K console. But it would be hard to show the difference between the PS5 (any model) and the XSX.

If it was Sony having the Series S and X model philosophy I could see they having less issues since they would base on brand power and momentum and not care about Discless and with disc but some less power competitor being cheaper (PS4 sold without issues against X1 even if for 5 of the 6 years it was regularly 50 to 100 more expensive). But for MS that is very delicate, since it will be a well you pay 100 more than Series S you get a PS5 that is 2.5x stronger than it, while MS then you need to justify paying another 100 for a 15-20% gain (justifiable but customers may not see it that way).

Sony in my mind just want to see the highest price they can put while still keeping at least 50 USD cheaper so people don't complain it is weaker.

Around the Network

No idea anymore. Originally thought something like a $299 and $599 console would work for XB, or $249 and $499, or $399 an $599, but with whats happening in the XB exclusive department, I can't see MS just sticking with any of those. Heavily sub XBSX or XBSS I would think for the launch year anyway. Hold the price like PS4 did if need be through the gen.

In terms of PS5, I can't believe the main SKU will be higher than $499 and DE less than that.

With 2020 being upside down and backwards in general, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up nothing like this.

PS5 Standard $599
PS5 (no optical drive) $499
XBOX series X $499

Unless microsoft want to exit the console business entirely and focus on PC and cloud, they will not price it higher than the cheaper PS5.

I think a better question would be who will cave in and reveal the price first.

PS5.

Xbox is a mess, their higher priced one will be too expensive for the majority with simply brand power not on their side. Their cheaper model is simply rubbish spec wise and their flagship title is gone with 343 in my opinion about to be shut, Brad Sams has suggested it being heavily outsourced with everyone at war with each other.

PS5's internals should be pretty damn expensive going by their specs, and I'm not sure if dropping the disc drive will be enough to close the gap to Microsoft's more conventional XSX.