By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which next gen full power console will be cheaper?

Which next gen full power console will be cheapest?

PS5 without disc drive 39 63.93%

PS5 2 3.28%

Xbox Series X 20 32.79%

Total:61
Bofferbrauer2 said:
PS5's internals should be pretty damn expensive going by their specs, and I'm not sure if dropping the disc drive will be enough to close the gap to Microsoft's more conventional XSX.

They both have 16GB of GDDR6, MS has 10 modules (6x16Gb + 4x8Gb), The PS5 has 8 x 16Gb chips. All chips on platforms are 14Gbs.

They XSX has (or is most likely to have) a bigger APU (360mm2) compared to the PS5s smaller APU (rumored 320mm2). The APU is the single most expensive component in the system. 

They are both using an SSD, the PS5 uses 12 (one for each channel) 64GB NAND flash chips vs the XSX 4/8 channel layout. Which also probably uses fewer nand flash chips but of larger capacity.

So if you are suggesting that the PS5 hardware should be more expensive,I am not seeing how. There isn't anything vastly unconventional about the PS5s actual hardware. They just went abt things differently.

Eg. NVMe SSDs typically have 4 channels (sub 2GB/s drives) or 8 channels (3.5GB/s drives), then on servers, you have SSDs with 12 or 16 channels. The PS5 is just using a 12 channel layout, and that s nothing more than a few more traces on the PCB. 

Around the Network

A Blu-Ray reader/writer costs about $100 on newegg. So I would imagine that Sony can get them for $50. There have been multiple rumors that Sony has been struggling to keep PS5 below $499. Assuming that means their disc version struggling to meet that price point, then their discless version would be $100 to $75 cheaper. Removing a Blu-Ray drive would only reduce cost to build by $50 at most, but then Sony would just subsidize the other $50 with extra profits from digital sales. So I would guess that the disk version of PS5 is $550 to $525, and the diskless version is $475 to $425.

Series X will be $50 less than whatever the Disk PS5 is, and $50-$75 more than whatever the Diskless PS5 costs.

Cerebralbore101 said:
A Blu-Ray reader/writer costs about $100 on newegg. So I would imagine that Sony can get them for $50. There have been multiple rumors that Sony has been struggling to keep PS5 below $499. Assuming that means their disc version struggling to meet that price point, then their discless version would be $100 to $75 cheaper. Removing a Blu-Ray drive would only reduce cost to build by $50 at most, but then Sony would just subsidize the other $50 with extra profits from digital sales. So I would guess that the disk version of PS5 is $550 to $525, and the diskless version is $475 to $425.

Series X will be $50 less than whatever the Disk PS5 is, and $50-$75 more than whatever the Diskless PS5 costs.

The only rumors wit regards to BOM and struggles were citing a BOM of $450 for the PS5 and the XSX to be slightly higher than that. And that is for the disc version of either console. 

That would be considered a "struggle" being that the PS4 had a BOM o $380. So basically, the PS5 cost sony $70 more to make. But even the $380 PS4 that retailed for $399 had to sell at least one first-party game to break even. This suggests that between the retailers cut, shipping and taxes there is an additional $60 or so dollars o additional costs not shown in a box breakdown. 

That puts a $450 PS5 (disc sku) at a total cost of around $510/$520. 

A disc drive would cost sony a lot less than $50. Probably around $35 at the worst. This puts the digital SKU at around $415 to make. And a total cost of $475.

And this is where the subsidies you speak of comes in, sony can afford to take a much bigger hit on the digital SKU and sell that for anywhere between $399 - $449 ($75 - $25) loss respectively. Knowing they would make a lot more money fro the people that buy that sku and sell the disc version at a loss of s little as $10/$20.

RolStoppable said:
PS5 and XSX will cost the same and neither one will be cheaper than $499, because that's the reason why both companies run a two SKU strategy.

Yep. I expect $499 for the PS5 and $499 for the Series X. I reckon PS5 Digital will be $399 and Series S will be $350.

No need for either to undercut each other in the full fat end of the market. I think all console SKU's will follow the loss leader model to some degree but this will probably be most true of the PS5 Digital given that consumers will always have to get digital games with juiciest commission for Sony. Game Pass also has a role to play strategically, since that service scales to be profitable only with a large install base. Its for these reasons that most (if not all) price competition will be (surprise surprise) at the cheaper end of the market. 

Weird poll :) I mean just between the 2 Play Station, the disc-less will be less expensive for sure, so why adding both ? :)
I believe both Sony and Microsoft's console will cost the same and then the diskless version will probably something like 49$ less...

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
Weird poll :) I mean just between the 2 Play Station, the disc-less will be less expensive for sure, so why adding both ? :)
I believe both Sony and Microsoft's console will cost the same and then the diskless version will probably something like 49$ less...

well we have some that think that both PS5 will be same price and series x cheaper than both because of Phil Spencer.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This poll and question seems kind of pointless to put it kindly. One would have to be a moron to not realize the disc-less ps5 will be cheaper than the Xbox series x and regular ps5...I truly do not understand the reason for asking this question and including the disc-less ps5..actually I think know the reason but that's another discussion

Baddman said:
This poll and question seems kind of pointless to put it kindly. One would have to be a moron to not realize the disc-less ps5 will be cheaper than the Xbox series x and regular ps5...I truly do not understand the reason for asking this question and including the disc-less ps5..actually I think know the reason but that's another discussion

40% of the voters are morons confirmed.

According to you that is...

Intrinsic said:
Baddman said:

I could only guess the xbox users voted series x out of spite due to the stupidity of the poll including what Sony is positioning to be the cheaper alternative to the ps5

Baddman said:
Intrinsic said:

I could only guess the xbox users voted series x out of spite due to the stupidity of the poll including what Sony is positioning to be the cheaper alternative to the ps5

For all our sakes, I hope you are right.