By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which next gen full power console will be cheaper?

Which next gen full power console will be cheapest?

PS5 without disc drive 39 63.93%

PS5 2 3.28%

Xbox Series X 20 32.79%

Total:61
eva01beserk said:
The regular ps5 and xsx will be the same price. The xsx is more expensive but they will match Sony at whatever they anounce. There's no need for them to eat a massive loss as the already have the power narrative so being the same price is a plus.

Which means Sony should just anounce already and set the new standard for price. Such could be $450.

MS fully intends to match the price of the PS5. That's what is causing this waiting game. But there is that possibility that sony could just announce the PS5 at $449 as you said. That would force MS to also price their console at $449. But they probably don't want to do that, so they will wait as long as they can and see if sony just prices the PS5 at $499 instead.

I feel sony delaying their price announcement is indicative of them willing to be at $399 for the PS5DE and $449 for the standard PS5. And that pricing has more of an effect if they wait for MS to first announce $499 for the XSX. MS obviously doesn't want that, but also won't commit to a $449 price point unless they absolutely have to.

And so we wait ad watch them keep playing this game of corporate chicken.

Around the Network

Frankly, I think they will all cost the same actually. Series X is more powerful, but PS5s SSD is likely more expensive, and MS might be more willing to sell at a bigger loss.
The lack of a disc drive in the PS5 digital edition, doesn't really save Sony anything substantial, and I don't think Sony cares which version people buy.

My guess is $499 across the board.
Series S, will probably be cheaper, but we don't know the specs yet, so I can't guess. I don't think Series S will launch this year, then we would have seen it already, and with the Covid-19, Microsoft probably prioritized getting Series X out.

Vinther1991 said:
Frankly, I think they will all cost the same actually. Series X is more powerful, but PS5s SSD is likely more expensive, and MS might be more willing to sell at a bigger loss.
The lack of a disc drive in the PS5 digital edition, doesn't really save Sony anything substantial, and I don't think Sony cares which version people buy.

My guess is $499 across the board.
Series S, will probably be cheaper, but we don't know the specs yet, so I can't guess. I don't think Series S will launch this year, then we would have seen it already, and with the Covid-19, Microsoft probably prioritized getting Series X out.

I don't necessarily think the PS5 SDD is more expensive. And we do KNOW EXACTLY what the specs f the series S are. Having said that, I do agree with your pricing.

Intrinsic said:
eva01beserk said:
The regular ps5 and xsx will be the same price. The xsx is more expensive but they will match Sony at whatever they anounce. There's no need for them to eat a massive loss as the already have the power narrative so being the same price is a plus.

Which means Sony should just anounce already and set the new standard for price. Such could be $450.

MS fully intends to match the price of the PS5. That's what is causing this waiting game. But there is that possibility that sony could just announce the PS5 at $449 as you said. That would force MS to also price their console at $449. But they probably don't want to do that, so they will wait as long as they can and see if sony just prices the PS5 at $499 instead.

I feel sony delaying their price announcement is indicative of them willing to be at $399 for the PS5DE and $449 for the standard PS5. And that pricing has more of an effect if they wait for MS to first announce $499 for the XSX. MS obviously doesn't want that, but also won't commit to a $449 price point unless they absolutely have to.

And so we wait ad watch them keep playing this game of corporate chicken.

I think this the most likely scenario. There really is no other reason to not have prices released at this point. Sony wants to attempt to undercut MS by $50 if they can and MS wants to attempt to exactly match the PS5. At this point we wont know the prices until we go into the store.

Vinther1991 said:

It's been very shocking to me the amount of people who don't realize how much Sony is saving with DE version. It seems all anyone thinks about is the disc drive and that's it. There's a reason MS tried to push no more used games this gen and it's not out of kindest of their hearts. Everyone knows how much money is being lost via the used game business. This is Sony's attempt to casually move people away from that system without forcing anyone. Genius move and one that MS should have implored this gen to avoid all the controversy.

- no disc drive 

- required to purchase everything through the Sony store which means more money for Sony and less to retailers

- No more used games (this is massive) Sony makes no money off of used games purchases. 

Over the life of the console this adds up to much more than $100. In fact if you still purchase a fair amount of used games than the $100 you are saving is nothing compared to what you save with the disc version + used games. I don't purchase used games anymore I'm all digital.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

But why include both the PS5 and diskless PS5?

It makes no sense because one of them is already the wrong answer.  🤣

Well there are some that believe PS5 with and without disc will be the same price. But yes 2 answers are wrong=p

I have no words if what you say is true....

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

guys stop making fun of voters that picked XSX, we know what you are doing... Seeing as the only full powered console is the series X

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

Well there are some that believe PS5 with and without disc will be the same price. But yes 2 answers are wrong=p

Most of the Sony guys I heard discussing this thought the digital only version would have a larger hard drive to accommodate the storage issues.  So the cost would be balanced out.  But now that it is confirmed the storage is just as low as the the one with disc drive, it no longer makes sense.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

method114 said:

I think this the most likely scenario. There really is no other reason to not have prices released at this point. Sony wants to attempt to undercut MS by $50 if they can and MS wants to attempt to exactly match the PS5. At this point we wont know the prices until we go into the store.

Lol... and even then it would be a "price withheld until you add to cart".

DroidKnight said:
Shiken said:

Most of the Sony guys I heard discussing this thought the digital only version would have a larger hard drive to accommodate the storage issues.  So the cost would be balanced out.  But now that it is confirmed the storage is just as low as the the one with disc drive, it no longer makes sense.

Honestly, anyone that thinks that is being obtuse.

Being that every single game, across the PS5/XSX would need to be physically installed too. Even if you have the disc version, all your games still need to be installed in the system if you want to play it. This is particularly true now more than it has ever been. BR drive = 36MB/s (max if its an8x drive and PS4 used a 6x drive). SSD =5.5GB/s.

If anything, using discs actually makes things a little more complicated being that you lose the "game jukebox" functionality. The only value discs have right now is that you can at least resell them. That's it. I don't know why anyone would think that because a machine is all digital it means it should come with a bigger SSD.