By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tomshardware - Xbox Series X hot chips 2020 Deep Dive.

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
GamePass on PC vs console is such a subjective argument, it’s not even worth having.

That is true, but just look at all of MS's 1st party games and the direction it's been going in 2020.

• Gears Tactics
  • Flightsim
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Flightsim
  • Wasteland 3
  • Bard's tale remastered
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Ori 
  • Battletoads

Except for Ori, Bleeding Edge and Battletoads, those are all the type of games that typically don't do well on consoles. PC gamers love em, though, and that's why some of them didn't even get a console release yet.

What all this is telling me is that Xbox will soon have the biggest diversity out all the consoles. If it isn't the case already.

Around the Network

You're wasting your time, bro. He knows a guy. How can IHS compete with that?

How very surprising. Somebody totally clueless, doesn't check the facts, comes up with a one-liner ad-hominem attack.

I don’t think that qualifies as ad hominem. It wasn’t personal against you, it was pointing out the weak legs your argument stands on. Hope that helps.

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
GamePass on PC vs console is such a subjective argument, it’s not even worth having.

That is true, but just look at all of MS's 1st party games and the direction it's been going in 2020.

• Gears Tactics
  • Flightsim
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Flightsim
  • Wasteland 3
  • Bard's tale remastered
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Ori 
  • Battletoads

Except for Ori, Bleeding Edge and Battletoads, those are all the type of games that typically don't do well on consoles. PC gamers love em, though, and that's why some of them didn't even get a console release yet.

What a crappy argument, even by goopalicious standards. When you wonder why no one in the Xbox family here ever takes you seriously, please remember posts like this. 

So you’re telling me a game that combines MINECRAFT and DIABLO won’t do well on consoles? Yeah I mean who doesn’t enjoy action games with loot and leveling up set in the universe of the most popular game ever. I guess Minecraft hasn’t sold anything on consoles. I bet Diablo 4 skips consoles, too. 

Bard’s Tale, an RPG. We all know how console gamers hate RPGs. To add extra lulz to the silliness of your post, you even point out that this is a remaster... of a game that came out on multiple consoles. 

Wasteland 3... because console gamers hate turn based strategy games. Another RPG, too. Of course, every other Wasteland has hit consoles so it makes sense that they don’t do well on consoles and developers keep putting them on console.

Gears Tactics.... another strategy action game. Because XCom or Mutant Year Zero didn’t do well. 

The only valid game on your list (twice for some reason) is Flight Sim, which just came out. And they’d probably do better on consoles if consoles had the power to run them correctly. 

Either way you’re trying to argue that because one genre of game they’ve put on GamePass recently caters more to PC, that they’re making PC GamePass their first party focus. Doesn’t make any sense, even for you. 

idk what happened to this format, forum blows on mobile 

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 19 August 2020

DonFerrari said:
Fei-Hung said:
I don't think either company wants to make a billion dollar loss by selling at $100 under BOM. I remember the ps3 selling I think with a $200 loss causing massive losses. Especially when put together with free online rumours for MS.

From someone that knows hardware costs, what are we looking at for price difference in the SSD? I understand the Ps5 one is more complex but wonder what the cost difference will be, whether it will be in the tens of dollars or hundreds.

PS3 was more like 250, 300 for the small size HDD and 200 for the larger size (small additional cost for the size but sold for 100 more).

On the SSD, I would say the SSD itself probably costs very similar for both, but I/O and controller on PS5 will be more expensive, but we don't know how much, perhaps 20-30USD.

This is what I'm thinking. I can't see it costing more than $20-30 dollars. Then the question is how much more will it cost MS for the additional SSD size and the additional CUs. 

Around the Network

LudicrousSpeed said:

It was pointing out the weak legs your argument stands on. Hope that helps.

I can assure you my legs are perfectly fine in this case.

shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

• Gears Tactics
  • Flightsim
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Flightsim
  • Wasteland 3
  • Bard's tale remastered
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Ori 
  • Battletoads

But you're ignoring the Microsoft 1st/2nd party games that we know to be in development, most of which are either console focused or are designed equally for console and PC:

• Halo Infinite
  • Fable reboot
  • Avowed (Obsidian's first AAA RPG since South Park: The Stick of Truth, rather than the AA PC focused RPG's they were doing for awhile like Pillars and Tyranny)
  • Everwild
  • Hellblade 2
  • Project Mara
  • Forza Motorsport reboot
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • inXile's planned 3D AAA RPG (their first ever AAA RPG)
  • State of Decay 3
  • Compulsion's new IP
  • Double Fine's upcoming projects after Psychonauts 2 (they have always had multiple teams)
  • The Initiative/The Coalition co-developed AAA game (rumored to be a Perfect Dark reboot)
  • As Dusk Falls

Then you have Microsoft's 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives, most of which are also either console focused or designed equally for PC and console:

• Second Extinction
  • Call of the Sea
  • The Medium
  • Scorn
  • The Ascent
  • The Gunk
  • Yakuza 7
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis
  • Exomecha
  • Hello Neighbor 2
  • Echo Generation
  • CrossFireX

The only announced but unreleased MS 1st/2nd party titles designed primarily for PC gamers currently are Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition and Age of Empires 4, while the only 3rd party timed exclusives that are primarily PC focused are Warhammer 40,000: Dark Tide and STALKER 2. 2020 was clearly a year designed to get Microsoft back into PC gamers good graces after losing them by trying to force Windows Store on them earlier this gen, but their future development seems to be mainly focused on Xbox games or games that will do well on both Xbox and PC.

Halo was supposed to be their big console game for the year, which is why they likely felt they didn't need more than 1 big console focused game for 2020, but the delay on Halo clearly threw a wrench into their plans by making the year look very PC focused in the end. But that doesn't mean that MS has a PC focus going forward just because this year was mainly PC games, future development clearly shows that console is still top priority for MS, with PC being nearly as important but still taking a back seat to console.

I can only look at the games we're seeing released now and the way they've been promoting Series X. With almost every game on that list we just don't really know how they'll end up because they didn't show us anything. All I know is that Halo is going GAAS, Inexile has always been a PC developer and Fable and Avowed could very well be GAAS too.

For better or worse, MS is obviously aiming for different experiences than fans have come to expect from a Xbox console. There's a ton more variety, so that is great. But MS's focus in on growing GP subscriber, and for that they'll need episodic, online/GAAS titles. Games that'll keep people engaged with the service, not next gen SP blockbuster that take years to make and typically offer a one time playthrough. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

• Gears Tactics
  • Flightsim
  • Minecraft Dungeons
  • Flightsim
  • Wasteland 3
  • Bard's tale remastered
  • Bleeding Edge
  • Ori 
  • Battletoads

What a crappy argument, even by goopalicious standards. When you wonder why no one in the Xbox family here ever takes you seriously, please remember posts like this. 

So you’re telling me a game that combines MINECRAFT and DIABLO won’t do well on consoles? Yeah I mean who doesn’t enjoy action games with loot and leveling up set in the universe of the most popular game ever. I guess Minecraft hasn’t sold anything on consoles. I bet Diablo 4 skips consoles, too. 

Bard’s Tale, an RPG. We all know how console gamers hate RPGs. To add extra lulz to the silliness of your post, you even point out that this is a remaster... of a game that came out on multiple consoles. 

Wasteland 3... because console gamers hate turn based strategy games. Another RPG, too. Of course, every other Wasteland has hit consoles so it makes sense that they don’t do well on consoles and developers keep putting them on console.

Gears Tactics.... another strategy action game. Because XCom or Mutant Year Zero didn’t do well. 

The only valid game on your list (twice for some reason) is Flight Sim, which just came out. And they’d probably do better on consoles if consoles had the power to run them correctly. 

Either way you’re trying to argue that because one genre of game they’ve put on GamePass recently caters more to PC, that they’re making PC GamePass their first party focus. Doesn’t make any sense, even for you. 

-pic

idk what happened to this format, forum blows on mobile 

All I'm saying is that PC gamers are just typically into different types of games than console gamers. If you think I'm wrong then I dare you to name me 1 RTS or ARPG that sold more than 4 million copies on consoles.

Console gamers play mostly the same big AAA titles like Fifa, GTA, COD, BF, AC etc. while things like RTS, ARPG's and MMO's are far more popular on PC. Diablo 3 broke all records on PC but on consoles... not so much. Hell, Xcom2 sold like 14k copies in its first week on Xbox One: https://www.vgchartz.com/article/266269/xcom-2-sells-an-estimated-57k-units-first-week-at-retail-on-consoles

I love games like Gears Tactics, Flightsim and Wasteland. But lets face it, MS didn't make those games thinking they would get console gamers all fired up.

THREAD BAN (perm): Persistent Xbox Trolling 

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 19 August 2020

goopy20 said:

All I'm saying is that PC gamers are just typically into different types of games than console gamers. If you think I'm wrong then I dare you to name me 1 RTS or ARPG that sold more than 4 million copies on consoles.

Console gamers play mostly the same big AAA titles like Fifa, GTA, COD, BF, AC etc. while things like RTS, ARPG's and MMO's are far more popular on PC. Diablo 3 broke all records on PC but on consoles... not so much. Hell, Xcom2 sold like 14k copies in its first week on Xbox One: https://www.vgchartz.com/article/266269/xcom-2-sells-an-estimated-57k-units-first-week-at-retail-on-consoles

I love games like Gears Tactics, Flightsim and Wasteland. But lets face it, MS didn't make those games thinking they would get console gamers all fired up.

No shit PC gamers are into different genres that aren't big on console. Literally zero people in this thread have argued against that. The issue is your nonsense about MS shifting first party focus to PC oriented titles because they released one game that is in a genre not popular on console. Don't shift goal posts just because your argument is doodoo. Also, regarding action RPG's that sell more than four million, uh.. Witcher? Skyrim? Tons of others?

PC gamers also love big AAA titles. A title being more popular on PC is irrelevant. Adding to how much of your argument is based on pure doodoo, you're ignoring the many projects XGS have in development that we have confirmation of and plenty of info on. Tons of genres that are popular on console. What you're doing here is no different than what you do in every single Xbox thread you participate in, you are just throwing shit at the wall non-stop and hoping something sticks so that you can come back later in another thread and try to say you've told us all along.

Why would console gamers not get fired up over Gears Tactics or Wasteland or Flight Sim? So a game has to sell millions in order for it to be considered something console gamers want?

Please link to me some official Diablo 3 console sales since you want to speak on them factually.

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

You know Series X means getting the best 3rd party games too right? You know...95% of a consoles library? Nm being the only place for 1st party and Game Pass if you aren’t a Pc gamer. 

PC gamers act like everyone else owns a gaming rig and is near universally adopted by everyone (shrugs) 

Nope, MS is acting like gaming PCs are universally adopted. Why you think Gamepass on PC is starting to become better than Gamepass for console? They are focusing more on the kind of games that PC gamers are typically into than consoles gamers, like RTS games, GAAS games and Flightsim. 

We'll see about getting the best versions of 3rd party games. The thing is that the Series X and ps5 both have their strengths and weaknesses and it will be up to developers to choose which console they'll prioritize. Typically that means the one which has the biggest install base. I mean, if you're a developer would you be banking on MS's console when you hear Phil saying "It doesn't matter how many we'll sell" or Sony's console who are so confident in their product that they've doubled up on production? 

I wouldn’t say universally, just they recognize much of the PC gaming community doesn’t have a Xbox. So they bring the games to them. Looking at you as a prime example of turning haters into Xbox ecosystem members ;)

Games like Age of Empires and Flight SIM have a rich history on PC so it shows they taking the ecosystem seriously, appealing to both. Also I hear CrossfireX coming to Xbox console before Pc so there ya go, appealing to market demos. 

Ya thing is outside of theoretical seconds faster load times, most of PS5s strengths only apply to exclusive first party games. Otherwise it comes down to Xbox’s raw strength in specs. Sure there will be cases where Sony will buy their way into console parity for multiplats, and as shady as that will be they can’t afford to do that for EVERY title. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.