By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tomshardware - Xbox Series X hot chips 2020 Deep Dive.

hinch said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Xbox Series X: 399,-
Xbox Series S: 299,-
Xbox One S: 199,-

Hard nope on this one.

So for comparisons sake the Xbox One X retailed for $499 at launch. The Series X has a significantly higher priced APU, has a SSD in it, more complex split motherboard and more robust cooling solution.

yeah, that might have been a wet dream, but I am very sure that Microsoft will undercut Sony.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
hinch said:

Hard nope on this one.

So for comparisons sake the Xbox One X retailed for $499 at launch. The Series X has a significantly higher priced APU, has a SSD in it, more complex split motherboard and more robust cooling solution.

yeah, that might have been a wet dream, but I am very sure that Microsoft will undercut Sony.

You can be "not out of position on price & power", if your 20% faster console is also 20% more expensive.
20% extra on something that costs 500$ becomes 600$, and your still at the same price to performance ratio.

JRPGfan said:
DirtyP2002 said:

You can be "not out of position on price & power", if your 20% faster console is also 20% more expensive.
20% extra on something that costs 500$ becomes 600$, and your still at the same price to performance ratio.

Yeah, I still think there is no chance that the Xbox Series X will be $599 or more and I am willing to take a bet on this one.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I’ll say it again, MS is not stupid enough to go above $500 on Series X. Every official statement from MS about pricing so far has suggested that it will be priced competitively, and $600 is not even a remotely competitive price. Microsoft saw both Xbox One in 2013 and Xbox One X in 2017 struggle to sell past the first Holiday at $500, leading to fast price drops on both of them, so they know that even $500 is not all that competitive of a price for them, they’re definitely not going to release  at $550 or $600.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 18 August 2020

JRPGfan said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Exactly. The XSS exists for a reason. And it's not because MS thinks they can match the PS5's price point.  More importantly, Phil much more recently said that their goal is not to sell as much as Sony or Nintendo.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That cost slide is making me think it could reach that $600 that DF was suggesting or even $549. I am fairly confident Series X won't be priced lower than $500 now more than ever though.

Its either 549$ or 599$.

Something tells me the PS5 chip is cheaper.
Its supposedly only 36 CU (with no redundency's) and the Xbox Series X is 56 CU's (with 4 disabled).
Thats gonna amount of a large differnce in the size of the APU inside both.

If playstation launched at 499$ while the Xbox Series X is 599$, that could account for why Phil Spencer resently came out and said "Selling as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo is not our approach". This could be a case of, if you want 20% more performance than the Playstation 5, you need to pay for it.

The PS5 APU has 40CUs with four disabled for a total of 36CUs. Like with the Series X, this is done to improve yields. 

shikamaru317 said:

I’ll say it again, MS is not stupid enough to go above $500 on Series X. Every official statement from MS about pricing so far has suggested that it will be priced competitively, and $600 is not even a remotely competitive price. Microsoft saw both Xbox One in 2013 and Xbox One X in 2017 struggle to sell past the first Holiday at $500, leading to fast price drops on both of them, so they know that even $500 is not all that competitive of a price for them, they’re definitely not going to release  at $550 or $600.

I think what MS meant is that they'll will be competing with price through the Series S and power with Series X. I got a feeling Series X will be $599, though. Sony probably set a price already at $399 for the ps5 DE, as they seem confident enough to ramp up production. They are probably just waiting for MS to make the first move, hoping they will shoot themselves in the foot by going with $599.

goopy20 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I think what MS meant is that they'll will be competing with price through the Series S and power with Series X. I got a feeling Series X will be $599, though. Sony probably set a price already at $399 for the ps5 DE, as they seem confident enough to ramp up production. They are probably just waiting for MS to make the first move, hoping they will shoot themselves in the foot by going with $599.

They probably want to repeat that mic drop moment from E3 2013. And if MS does go $549-$599, they can launch the PS5 at $499. If MS can go $499, they can eat some cost and go $449.

I see a lot of posts running with Phil’s word: "Selling as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo is not our approach" to further their narrative that Microsoft won’t compete in the console space. That phrase should tell you that Microsoft is willing to take a hit on the hardware, to get gamers in their ecosystem.

You should also quote Phil, when he said they ”will not be out of position on power or price”. We have seen the first one realized, we’ll see their price strategy soon.

Fei-Hung said:
I don't think either company wants to make a billion dollar loss by selling at $100 under BOM. I remember the ps3 selling I think with a $200 loss causing massive losses. Especially when put together with free online rumours for MS.

From someone that knows hardware costs, what are we looking at for price difference in the SSD? I understand the Ps5 one is more complex but wonder what the cost difference will be, whether it will be in the tens of dollars or hundreds.

PS3 was more like 250, 300 for the small size HDD and 200 for the larger size (small additional cost for the size but sold for 100 more).

On the SSD, I would say the SSD itself probably costs very similar for both, but I/O and controller on PS5 will be more expensive, but we don't know how much, perhaps 20-30USD.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."