By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tomshardware - Xbox Series X hot chips 2020 Deep Dive.

JRPGfan said:

ML (which is 100% confirmed now)

I have been speaking about Direct ML for months on this forum. It was always "confirmed".

JRPGfan said:

Series X has a a part that handles audio too:

This basically just rehashes and goes a little deeper into what we already knew.
Next gens audio features are freaking exciting.

JRPGfan said:

Its either 549$ or 599$.

Something tells me the PS5 chip is cheaper.
Its supposedly only 36 CU (with no redundency's) and the Xbox Series X is 56 CU's (with 4 disabled).
Thats gonna amount of a large differnce in the size of the APU inside both.

If playstation launched at 499$ while the Xbox Series X is 599$, that could account for why Phil Spencer resently came out and said "Selling as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo is not our approach". This could be a case of, if you want 20% more performance than the Playstation 5, you need to pay for it.

The Playstation 5 chips cost probably isn't *that* much cheaper, when you are chasing high clocks, you need chips that can scale high or dump excessive amounts of voltage, either way, it will impact yields, meaning higher cost per chip.

Over the long term however Sony will definitely have the long-term cost advantages in SoC chip manufacturing... But Microsoft probably makes up for that with a cheaper SSD.

hinch said:

Yeah Aussies and Canadians usually pay more. A bit like us in UK, there is usually quite a big difference in what we pay vs US. Aka getting ripped by taxes and import fees.

I mean thats usually how it goes. Lower end is cheaper and high end more expensive to make up for it. But hopefully that's not the case and both with be around the $500-$550 USD mark.. for all our sakes lol.

As long as the price discrepancy isn't so excessive that it would be cheaper to purchase a plane ticket, fly to the USA, buy the product and fly back to Australia... And still save money. *Cough*Photoshop*cough*

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
EpicRandy said:

At this point I think it is more a battle over not being more expensive rather than a battle to be cheaper.

Microsoft probably does not want to take a loss and Sony probably want to cash in on it's brand recognition.

Funnily enough, if they old back price announcement longer still, they might both end up pricing their console at $499 over fear that the competition would be cheaper while both would actualy have wanted a $599 price tag.

That is essentialy the same, they want to charge as much as possible but not being more expensive than the other is the same as being cheaper =p

Well it's the same reason for holding up on price but not the same result. In one scenario one console would undercut the other by $50-$100, the second would see the 2 consoles at the exact same price no matter who goes first.

Pretty sure Sony wouldn't be ramping up production if they plan on selling it for $600. I see Series X launching at $599 as they are marketing it as a premium console. ps5 Will be $399 for the DE and $499 for the disk version.

EpicRandy said:
DonFerrari said:

That is essentialy the same, they want to charge as much as possible but not being more expensive than the other is the same as being cheaper =p

Well it's the same reason for holding up on price but not the same result. In one scenario one console would undercut the other by $50-$100, the second would see the 2 consoles at the exact same price no matter who goes first.

Perhaps, but the need to hold for so long to me screams wanting to be cheaper. Because if it was both just not wanting to be more expensive they would have release it for a reasonable price that cover cost and at most small loss, so both 499.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

goopy20 said:
Pretty sure Sony wouldn't be ramping up production if they plan on selling it for $600. I see Series X launching at $599 as they are marketing it as a premium console. ps5 Will be $399 for the DE and $499 for the disk version.

Maybe but if this were the case there would be no reason for Sony to hold up on the price. They know XSX cannot be priced lower than $499 so why hold up. They know they have a big brand power advantage so at the same price they would have no problem whatsoever.

There's only 2 possible reason for the hold up on sony part:

1) They fear Microsoft could undercut them (which should not be possible with a $499 PS5).

2) They want to cash in on brand recognition (which is only possible at $599 and if they are not undercut by the XSX at $499)

Around the Network

Since the show is stuck behind a paywall here's what happened in a written article (live blogpost)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15994/hot-chips-2020-live-blog-microsoft-xbox-series-x-system-architecture-600pm-pt

Pemalite said:

As long as the price discrepancy isn't so excessive that it would be cheaper to purchase a plane ticket, fly to the USA, buy the product and fly back to Australia... And still save money. *Cough*Photoshop*cough*

Yup, that could be viable option if your flight ticket prices are cheap. Maybe not for us in the UK lol. The pricing a little worry for me since the dropping of the British pound isn't going anytime soon and if there is a no deal Brexit with EU; that could dramatically affect prices overall. I might buy now, to save upset later.

DonFerrari said:
Good stuff, but that price comparison between models is a little concerning, still MS can subside it if they want. They gave a tip to Sony though.

Or it could be a trap. I'm not saying it is, but if I was the CEO of either MS or Sony that is exactly what I would be doing at this moment: articles and "leaks" hinting at a higher price.

The whole "Server Cores" and "2 four core CPU clusters" is interesting for the CPU. Does that mean it's not monolithic?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
The whole "Server Cores" and "2 four core CPU clusters" is interesting for the CPU. Does that mean it's not monolithic?

Judging by the close up shot it appear to be monolithic. I guess it's separated into 2 cluster for better heat management and getting closer to memory