By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tomshardware - Xbox Series X hot chips 2020 Deep Dive.

DonFerrari said:
Good stuff, but that price comparison between models is a little concerning, still MS can subside it if they want. They gave a tip to Sony though.

Or it could be a trap. I'm not saying it is, but if I was the CEO of either MS or Sony that is exactly what I would be doing at this moment: articles and "leaks" hinting at a higher price.

Around the Network

The whole "Server Cores" and "2 four core CPU clusters" is interesting for the CPU. Does that mean it's not monolithic?

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Captain_Yuri said:
The whole "Server Cores" and "2 four core CPU clusters" is interesting for the CPU. Does that mean it's not monolithic?

Judging by the close up shot it appear to be monolithic. I guess it's separated into 2 cluster for better heat management and getting closer to memory

Captain_Yuri said:

No, it means the cpu still suffers from the same problem the Jaguars have in the "old" consoles. The cpu is actually two cpus. As a result, we still need additional hardware to "marry" the two cpus so they can see each other at all times (written in rather simple words). There is a performance penalty for this but it saves money on the design.

There never was the question of whether the new consoles would use chiplets or not - simply too expensive.

Alright thanks guys!

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Around the Network

I don't think either company wants to make a billion dollar loss by selling at $100 under BOM. I remember the ps3 selling I think with a $200 loss causing massive losses. Especially when put together with free online rumours for MS.

From someone that knows hardware costs, what are we looking at for price difference in the SSD? I understand the Ps5 one is more complex but wonder what the cost difference will be, whether it will be in the tens of dollars or hundreds.

Fei-Hung said:
I don't think either company wants to make a billion dollar loss by selling at $100 under BOM. I remember the ps3 selling I think with a $200 loss causing massive losses. Especially when put together with free online rumours for MS.

From someone that knows hardware costs, what are we looking at for price difference in the SSD? I understand the Ps5 one is more complex but wonder what the cost difference will be, whether it will be in the tens of dollars or hundreds.

Honestly it’s hard to say how much more expensive the PS5 SSD will be. The PS5 SSD is custom made and faster than PC SSD’s of similar size that cost about $250 at retail. Xbox Series X SSD is about the same speed as PC SSD’s that cost about $120 at retail by comparison. But those are retail prices, not manufacturing prices, hard to say what the difference in manufacturing cost is. But I think it’s safe to say that the PS5 SDD costs at least $50 more than the Series X SSD, which would offset a lot of increased cost of the Series X SoC.

Xbox Series X: 399,-
Xbox Series S: 299,-
Xbox One S: 199,-

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
Xbox Series X: 399,-
Xbox Series S: 299,-
Xbox One S: 199,-

Hard nope on this one.

So for comparisons sake the Xbox One X retailed for $499 at launch. The Series X has a significantly higher priced APU, has a SSD in it, more complex split motherboard and more robust cooling solution.

$400 is definitely unlikely for Series X, only way it happens is if digital PS5 is $400 and MS is forced to sell at a big loss to compete. $450 or $500 seems far more likely for X. Can’t see them being dumb enough to go higher than $500 on it, I think they know that they need to at least price match disc drive PS5 if they want to compete, even with Series S’s stronger sales taken into account.