By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tomshardware - Xbox Series X hot chips 2020 Deep Dive.

Captain_Yuri said:
The whole "Server Cores" and "2 four core CPU clusters" is interesting for the CPU. Does that mean it's not monolithic?

No, it means the cpu still suffers from the same problem the Jaguars have in the "old" consoles. The cpu is actually two cpus. As a result, we still need additional hardware to "marry" the two cpus so they can see each other at all times (written in rather simple words). There is a performance penalty for this but it saves money on the design.

There never was the question of whether the new consoles would use chiplets or not - simply too expensive.

Around the Network

Alright thanks guys!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I don't think either company wants to make a billion dollar loss by selling at $100 under BOM. I remember the ps3 selling I think with a $200 loss causing massive losses. Especially when put together with free online rumours for MS.

From someone that knows hardware costs, what are we looking at for price difference in the SSD? I understand the Ps5 one is more complex but wonder what the cost difference will be, whether it will be in the tens of dollars or hundreds.

Xbox Series X: 399,-
Xbox Series S: 299,-
Xbox One S: 199,-

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

Hard nope on this one.

So for comparisons sake the Xbox One X retailed for $499 at launch. The Series X has a significantly higher priced APU, has a SSD in it, more complex split motherboard and more robust cooling solution.

Around the Network
hinch said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Hard nope on this one.

So for comparisons sake the Xbox One X retailed for $499 at launch. The Series X has a significantly higher priced APU, has a SSD in it, more complex split motherboard and more robust cooling solution.

yeah, that might have been a wet dream, but I am very sure that Microsoft will undercut Sony.

DirtyP2002 said:
hinch said:

Hard nope on this one.

yeah, that might have been a wet dream, but I am very sure that Microsoft will undercut Sony.

You can be "not out of position on price & power", if your 20% faster console is also 20% more expensive.
20% extra on something that costs 500$ becomes 600$, and your still at the same price to performance ratio.

JRPGfan said:
DirtyP2002 said:

You can be "not out of position on price & power", if your 20% faster console is also 20% more expensive.
20% extra on something that costs 500$ becomes 600$, and your still at the same price to performance ratio.

Yeah, I still think there is no chance that the Xbox Series X will be $599 or more and I am willing to take a bet on this one.

JRPGfan said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Exactly. The XSS exists for a reason. And it's not because MS thinks they can match the PS5's price point.  More importantly, Phil much more recently said that their goal is not to sell as much as Sony or Nintendo.

JRPGfan said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That cost slide is making me think it could reach that $600 that DF was suggesting or even $549. I am fairly confident Series X won't be priced lower than $500 now more than ever though.

Its either 549$ or 599$.

Something tells me the PS5 chip is cheaper.
Its supposedly only 36 CU (with no redundency's) and the Xbox Series X is 56 CU's (with 4 disabled).
Thats gonna amount of a large differnce in the size of the APU inside both.

If playstation launched at 499$ while the Xbox Series X is 599$, that could account for why Phil Spencer resently came out and said "Selling as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo is not our approach". This could be a case of, if you want 20% more performance than the Playstation 5, you need to pay for it.

The PS5 APU has 40CUs with four disabled for a total of 36CUs. Like with the Series X, this is done to improve yields.